Ranching for Wildlife Elk Tag 2021

Hello, everyone. My wife has 15 Colorado elk points (resident) and is looking into RFW tags. I've read quite a bunch of good and bad comments on various threads, but very few seem to be from people who have actually hunted RFW tags. Can anyone give a review of their hunt? With her points, we are specifically looking at Silver Spur, Wolf Mountain, Visintainer and Agner Mountain.
I get that the paying hunters often get the best areas of the ranches, or hunt dates, but my wife is really just looking for a good, mature bull - not demanding the kind of trophy that a $15,000 hunter expects.

-Jim

Goose10

FNG
Depends on your expectations for a bull. The paying hunters mostly go first and will be done by the time the public hunts start. Most of the ranches have good access and they will give you good advice on where to go. The ranches need the public hunts to be successful or CPW will not let them continue in the program. Figuring out where to camp can be an issue depending on the ranch policies.
With that, I have been to Cross Mt, 3 Forks and several other ranches north/west of Craig. You can expect to see good numbers of elk since they manage the ranch to hold elk and not drive them out. What you won't see are nice big 6 point bulls unless you hunt someplace like the Hill Ranch. If you go hunt hard and stay in touch with the outfitters running the ranch, she will have a very good chance of killing a respectable bull typical of northwest Colorado.

OP
Artiodactyla
Thanks, Goose10.
I appreciate your thorough answer. Especially your point that, “The ranches need the public hunts to be successful or CPW will not let them continue in program” Candace isn’t looking for a giant 6x6, any mature bull would work great. And camping is never a problem; we’re good at figuring that out.
thanks for your thoughts.
- Jim

Goose10

FNG
A follow up after sndmn11 ‘s comment. When you check in, tell them that you are not afraid to walk. They get lots of guys who show up out of shape that do NOT hunt hard and couldn’t if they wanted to. Just like public land stuff, a mile or so from the truck creates a lot more opportunities. Have fun!

Phaseolus

WKR
I hadn’t payed much attention to how many points it took to draw 1st rifle in 61 since I drew my tag there. Go for that. I sure wouldn’t go for RFW. many of us will contribute info for your Wife to have a successful elk hunt in 61 including me.

WKR
As was mentioned, Jim does really good beetle skull cleaning. Have a few bears from him. I am just not a fan of the RFW stuff. My daughter got a decent 6x6 in 61 a couple years back, had a great time and saw a lot of elk. Not giants but good bulls. If you go that route happy to help.

OP
Artiodactyla
I think that the 1st Rifle Bull tag in 61 might be the way to go. Thanks everyone for your help. Once the draw comes out, I'll be looking for details on the unit so we can start a few scouting trips.

KU_Geo

WKR
And just to echo everyone’s comments above about Jim. If you are in the front range of CO and you ever need a Euro mount, he should be the first call you place. Great work and great guy! He’s done a lot of critters for me including antelope, deer, elk and a goat. All turned out great!

Last edited: