Random draw odds cyclic?

Doc7

FNG
So a couple states I’m looking at for big game hunts have random draws as part of the deal (some states have no points at all, others like Wyoming have points but with 25% NR tags to random with no points advantage at all). I like this as a new late adult onset hunter (35 this Feb).

I have been pulling a lot of data from the state published draw odds from 2017 to 2019. I only check into a few units where it’s good driving distance from the house, good public access, reasonable success rate (doe cow bull etc not critical to me) and reasonable draw odds. Reasonable success rates and draw odds are a different number depending upon species. Here’s my question.

Am I imagining it or do many units experience a cyclic rate of draw odds? What I think happens is, let’s say Unit X in Wyoming has a 100% first choice draw in 2016. Seems like in 17 it has a 50%, then a 90% in 18, then a 40% in 19. Is this because people are using websites that provide draw odd data and after a high success year a lot of people apply and the next year is low success, so it keeps repeating a cycle, and have YOU ever been successful trying to take advantage of this timing?

Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
Most sites use last years odds and refer to that data as your “upcoming draw odds” which is a long way from reality. If a hunt area was 100% in 2019 but the next level point pool is 200 apps, your 2020 odds aren’t near 100%. You could just be seeing a reflection of the app pools as they clean out then drop to the next tier.
This is why I say you need to see the entire point pool distribution rather than just look at an odds report.

OP
D

Doc7

FNG
Oh for sure. The ones I observed this on are more specifically doe antelope tags in WY and Elk tags in NM neither of which have points systems associated with them.

and thanks. Steve Rinellas book got me into squirrel hunting in 2012, I soon thereafter moved from NJ to VA to enjoy more guns and hunting opportunities, and now the western itch has got me.