Random Hunt Questions

Ben442

FNG
Hi everyone,
A buddy and I are going on our first antelope hunt this year during early October for the rifle season (Unit 17 specifically). Had a short list of random questions and any input would be appreciated.

How far do you typically need to get off the road to out walk most hunting pressure? From what I've read its not that far but with the limited public land in the unit I though that could play a role and force us to walk farther.

I was able to find some public access walk in areas on the WY G&F website. Do these areas see a lot of hunting pressure compared to other state/federal ground? Do people have more success walking into a larger tract of public ground or checking many smaller parcels throughout the day?

Are you free to camp anywhere in the BLM land? Any recommended camping spots?

Is it worth hauling a UTV out? It would cost a decent amount in added fuel costs and I'd hate to go through the hassle if doesn't get you away from pressure or farther than a truck could go.

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted 17 a few times. Here is what I'll tell you. Plan on walking, but be ready to shoot as soon as you leave the truck. We have killed them a few miles in and also less than 200 yards from the truck. I'm not trying to sound rude when I say this, but you'll find them when you find them. Just give it some time and don't rush off a spot when you don't see some right away. Skip the ATV, you don't need it I can only think of one area where it would be legal to use. Get ready to walk to get away from people hunting the roads. Camping can be hit or miss. There is a spot on the river up in the north end of 17 that is nice, the Rec area on 1416 can be good too. make sure you can find wood as there is not much out there. If its raining forget tent camping, the whole area turns into a clay and mud pit. If you can find a good spot on BLM land to camp on you are good to go. Good luck, it's a ton of fun.

cshire

FNG
E-scouted that area extensively as it looked like the draw would be a sure thing for that area.
I was wrong - everybody and their brother put in for that area.
I will be interested to hear how you make out and will consider that in my strategy for next years draw planning.

Keep us updated.

Thanks.