Random observation- NL Pure

Have you tried holding an NL12 with the forehead rest? It's easier than holding an EL 10X42

Yes but I hold the 10 NL's much steadier having tried both with the FRP. I also don't have the FRP on all the time switching between glassing on a tripod and moving.

I also believe the 10's are a much better all-around binocular from archery elk to glassing deer over 1k

FlyGuy

WKR
I was thinking that a lot of the folks selling those NL 10’s were just wanting to upgrade to the NL 12’s.

My 12’s finally came in recently and I was able to get some time in with them on a 3 day turkey hunt out in WTX a couple weeks ago.

I am beyond impressed. Everything I could have hoped for. I’d sold a pair of SLC 10x42 AND a pair of Meopta 15’s to fund the purchase, with the hope that it could replace both and cut weight for me.

My concerns were that 12’s might not be enough power to replace the 15’s; and they might be too shaky to handhold. While this hunt wasn’t a full test of the long range potential of the 12’s; I think I got enough time in to feel confident it won’t be a problem. I am happy to say that handholding the 12’s isn’t a problem at all thanks to the forehead rest. I’d say the 12’s with the forehead rest look/feel steadier to me than my 10’s did (without a forehead rest). Also, b/c the FOV is so impressive, short range work is just fine; I expected it might feel overpowered but it wasn’t a problem. I’m super happy with this purchase. The NL 12, kowa 77 & OD med tripod combo is going to be hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ll add that the reason I was able to buy my NL’s was the owner just got diagnosed with very aggressive cancer and wouldn’t be able to go on the trip he bought them for. He told me he would never have sold them if he hadn’t gotten sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking that a lot of the folks selling those NL 10’s were just wanting to upgrade to the NL 12’s.

My 12’s finally came in recently and I was able to get some time in with them on a 3 day turkey hunt out in WTX a couple weeks ago.

I am beyond impressed. Everything I could have hoped for. I’d sold a pair of SLC 10x42 AND a pair of Meopta 15’s to fund the purchase, with the hope that it could replace both and cut weight for me.

My concerns were that 12’s might not be enough power to replace the 15’s; and they might be too shaky to handhold. While this hunt wasn’t a full test of the long range potential of the 12’s; I think I got enough time in to feel confident it won’t be a problem. I am happy to say that handholding the 12’s isn’t a problem at all thanks to the forehead rest. I’d say the 12’s with the forehead rest look/feel steadier to me than my 10’s did (without a forehead rest). Also, b/c the FOV is so impressive, short range work is just fine; I expected it might feel overpowered but it wasn’t a problem. I’m super happy with this purchase. The NL 12, kowa 77 & OD med tripod combo is going to be hard to beat.

Curious to hear more about your experience with 12x for short range use. What were some of the closer distances you were using to help spot/watch turkeys?

FlyGuy

WKR
Curious to hear more about your experience with 12x for short range use. What were some of the closer distances you were using to help spot/watch turkeys?

Two short range examples - Used them Inside of 40 yards trying to get a good look at birds on the other side of thick brush.

At 60 yards on bedded deer and bedded pigs.

Then;

Several deer handheld at 600 yards, and later On a window mount I glassed up a 20# pig at over a 1000 yards. That’s about as far as you can see there; and it’s not like that’s an example to “write home about”; but with limited time behind them it’s the experience I have so far. I’m super impressed.

Honestly, it’s the feild of view for me that’s so impressive.

I also have a pair of 8x32 EL’s that I absolutely LOVE. So light and easy to use, perfect for archery elk in the timber. But man, I can tell you I’m going to have a hard time grabbing them and leaving those 12x at the truck come September.

The biggest “issue” I have right now is getting them in/out of my current bino harness with the forehead rest attached. It works, but not as smoothly as I’d like. I’ll need to shop around and find something roomier that works better for that set-up.

tdot

WKR
I could see the ergonomics of the NL series not working for some people. I tried them several times at shops and disliked the ergonomics and didn't feel the glass was enough of a jump from my EL'S to justify the expenditure. Last summer a friend showed up with a pair of 10x42NL's and we played with them and EL's and my BTX/95. It took awhile, but there were a few eureka moments and after awhile my EL's suddenly felt clunky. But it took awhile to get that point and I could see never getting that point if we hadnt had the different options in our hands.

Darrindlh

FNG
So Im a different cat i guess. Ive always loved bug power glass. I used to think that i needed power to see game. I was wrong and after four years of guiding i have narrowed down what best works for me. You guys will probably laugh, but I upgraded from the Maven B5 10x56 to the NL pure 8x42 with an outdoorsmans stud. I coupled this with the Swaro ATX 95mm spotter. The difference in glass is astonishing ! I literally have found more game with the Pure’s than any other binoculars ive ever used. Glassing on a tripod …. I know, i know, but i still do with 8’s. I can glass all day and with the wide field of view i can deff find more game.

Q child

WKR
I sold my 10x42s.
I'm kind of going through a more traditional phase right now. I bought some Trinovid BNs and Victory T*FLs, both of which are 15-20 years old and compete with the NLs in most of the ways that are important.
I might buy another pair of NLs someday because they are very good. I'd probably go 8s next time.

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
So Im a different cat i guess. Ive always loved bug power glass. I used to think that i needed power to see game. I was wrong and after four years of guiding i have narrowed down what best works for me. You guys will probably laugh, but I upgraded from the Maven B5 10x56 to the NL pure 8x42 with an outdoorsmans stud. I coupled this with the Swaro ATX 95mm spotter. The difference in glass is astonishing ! I literally have found more game with the Pure’s than any other binoculars ive ever used. Glassing on a tripod …. I know, i know, but i still do with 8’s. I can glass all day and with the wide field of view i can deff find more game.
This makes sense. Same experience but with 8.5 EL

6.5x284

WKR

I have the 8x and 12x NL. Those 8x are amazing. I can glass a long time beyond when the 12’s are too dark. I use them 85% of the time. I use the 12x instead of 8x and 15x but I‘d never sell those 8x!! Just amazing. Everyone that’s looked through both bought the 8x.

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
I realize the numerical differences in 10x verse 12x, but are the 12’s enough to replace a set of 15’s? I have a set of 10x42 Slc and typically carry 15’s if glassing long, and considering upgrading to a set of 10x42 NL, but if the 12’s replace a set of 15‘s I guess I’d go that way....kinda a long around question/curiosity

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I realize the numerical differences in 10x verse 12x, but are the 12’s enough to replace a set of 15’s? I have a set of 10x42 Slc and typically carry 15’s if glassing long, and considering upgrading to a set of 10x42 NL, but if the 12’s replace a set of 15‘s I guess I’d go that way....kinda a long around question/curiosity

I know a few guides who have replaced their SLC 15s with the 12 NL. I replaced my 10-15 Duovids with them. I did not have a set of 15 SLC to compare them to, I can only tell you that with my Desert Sheep, from 2.5 miles, I could absolutely identify the one ram I was looking for. Hopefully that can give you a practical data point.

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
I know a few guides who have replaced their SLC 15s with the 12 NL. I replaced my 10-15 Duovids with them. I did not have a set of 15 SLC to compare them to, I can only tell you that with my Desert Sheep, from 2.5 miles, I could absolutely identify the one ram I was looking for. Hopefully that can give you a practical data point.
Thanks

FlyGuy

WKR

That’s what I did. On my last coues/MD hunt and last Barbary hunt I carries 10x42 SLC on my chest and then a pair of 15x56 Meopta plus a Kowa 77 spotter in my pack. It was a great set up but it’s was HEAVY and Many times the 15’s ended up staying at the truck. I sold the 10x and the 15x and put the funds towards the 12x NL. While I didn’t own them all at the same time to make an exact comparison, I feel like this was the right move for me. I have only been able to use the new 12’s once so far on a West TX turkey hunt, but I am beyond impressed. I’d thought about making this change a few years ago with the 12x50 EL’s, but I was more concerned the loss in FOV and my ability to handhold them. However, these NL’s have amazing FOV (same FOV as my 10x42 did) and with the forehead bracket they handhold every bit as well if not better. I loved those 15’s for finding game at longer ranges (just outside the reach of my 10x). I can’t say for certain yet that these will be “as good”, but I can say that they will always be with me and not back at the truck b/c I had to cut weight somewhere. Everything is a trade off. For me the weight savings of dropping an extra pair of Binos was worth the lower power magnification.

They are definitely different animals. Overall the 12x are super versatile and I feel they replace my 8x and 15x combo fairly well, but the 15x magnification is still noticeably more when comparing them side by side.

I feel the sharpness of the 12x combined with the bigger FOV make them a better overall glassing bino but when I really want to sit down and pick something apart I think the 15x would still get the nod for me if I didn't have to pack them in. lol

So I did a thing. I got a stupid deal on 10x42 NL’s, 12x42 NL’s and 15x56 scls a week ago. The best bino I have ever used before these is Leupold BX4 Mojave’s. The very first look through the 10x42 NL’s was mind blowing. I really didn’t know what the real difference was between low end glass and alpha glass until that look.

I’ll be spending 8 days in Idaho next week comparing all three of these. I make almost 100 whitetail hunts a year plus 10-20 days on destination hunts so binos are in use ALL the time. I take them on vacations, camping trips and road trips or just generally excursions in the woods.

Those days in Idaho will really help me determine what my ideal setup is. I can hand hold 10’s no problem. Both 10’s and 12’s have the forehead rest which hugely improves steadiness. I’ll post photos and a review when I get back but I think I hit a home run on all 3 of these and I will absolutely not be going back to lower tier glass if I can help it.

I may only keep the 10’s and 15’s and sell the 12’s or keep the 12’s and sell the 10’s and 15’s. I’m thinking I will most likely come up with an excuse to keep them all but at least I will know for sure what I like when the trip is over.

interested in your take on the slc 15x vs NL 12x for tripod glassing

mi650

WKR
I pre-ordered a 12x NL, phenomenal glass!! My only issue was 12x being too much in my woods, really wish I'd ordered a 10x. So I ended up selling them.

A couple weeks ago, I traded for another 12x. :ROFLMAO:

FlyGuy

WKR
I pre-ordered a 12x NL, phenomenal glass!! My only issue was 12x being too much in my woods, really wish I'd ordered a 10x. So I ended up selling them.

A couple weeks ago, I traded for another 12x. :ROFLMAO:

Haha! Like a woman choosing paint colors!

I kept my 8x32 ELs (They are pre swaro vision but still great glass) for those occasions when everything is sub 200 yards.