Random question about Idaho elk objectives

Rob5589

WKR
Does anyone have the answer to why several zones in Idaho have "no numeric objective" in Idaho?

Haven’t reviewed those recently, but I’m sure the local biologist would entertain that question for you.

Does anyone have the answer to why several zones in Idaho have "no numeric objective" in Idaho?

These are zones which do not have resident populations of elk. Elk may be present there or moving through during certain seasons (i.e. Winter), but no stable populations. It's a function of feed and seasonal conditions. Certain units just don't have large populations (thus no objective) due to forage availability. Large portions of Idaho are desert where the only available feed is cheat grass, which is not generally a suitable forage to keep an elk herd around.

I agree with the above with the exception of the owyhee and pan handle theres resident elk there. The other areas hold elk during the winter. I reviewed the regs.

OP
Rob5589

Rob5589

WKR
Makes sense. The odd area is the upper panhandle. I would have assumed there are elk there in some fairly significant number.

Huntnnw

WKR
Makes sense. The odd area is the upper panhandle. I would have assumed there are elk there in some fairly significant number.
to thick and no general areas where elk migrate to in the winter to even get accurate herd estimates. You will have hundreds of areas where certain elk move to in the winter scattered everywhere

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
By leaving objectives that vague, they don’t have to admit that damage done by wolf introduction in the panhandle had decimated the elk population to far below any objectives
This is likely accurate.....if I could show you the elk herds before wolves up north and the monster otc bulls your jaws would drop.

TheTone

WKR
This is likely accurate.....if I could show you the elk herds before wolves up north and the monster otc bulls your jaws would drop.
I’ve seen parts of the data set from back when panhandle elk were a mandatory check. It was an awesome amount of info. It was in place largely due to the difficulties in counting elk from helicopter. Would be cool to see it come back but I bet the majority of hunters would reject it and be pissed unfortunately

I’ve seen parts of the data set from back when panhandle elk were a mandatory check. It was an awesome amount of info. It was in place largely due to the difficulties in counting elk from helicopter. Would be cool to see it come back but I bet the majority of hunters would reject it and be pissed unfortunately
Yeaaaa... They probably would...

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep all through the 80s, 90s, 00 and until about 2015 they had check ins with boards noting harvests and you had to check the lower jaw up until about a decade ago it was always a wealth of info, then the take started to drop and bottom out from the good old days and the stations disappeared....some of it technology some of it because imo it started to look very bad from pre wolf days😠

TheTone

WKR
Yep all through the 80s, 90s, 00 and until about 2015 they had check ins with boards noting harvests and you had to check the lower jaw up until about a decade ago it was always a wealth of info, then the take started to drop and bottom out from the good old days and the stations disappeared....some of it technology some of it because imo it started to look very bad from pre wolf days😠
The regions wildlife manager also promoted to a different position and I think some of want for the info left with him unfortunately.