Range Finder (Smart Shopping)

zloomis

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking to buy my first range finder. I need it to work at close distances call it 25yds-1000yds probably 25yds-700yds realistically. I am tempted to buy a Leica but I'm having a hard time throwing down the money. What is the cheapest I can get a range finder for that I can reliably trust? What range finder is the best bang for my buck? What makes a Leica or something like that worth the money? What are some rookie mistakes to avoid when buying a range finder etc....

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
Sierra trading post is selling the vortex ranger 1000 for $225 (after 25% discount) right now. I'm tempted to give it a try...
Edit: There is also a ranger 1000 for sale in the optics classifieds for about $100 less.

I went through a similar process a few months ago and decided that Sig was the best value for me with similar parameters to you, but I have seen some Leupold RX-1600's recently for prices that might make them the better value. Leupold, Sig, and Leica seem to have the best reputations.

Make sure you buy one that has LED display (the readout is in red or green lighted numerals). If you buy one with LCD (liquid crystal display), the readout is black and very hard to see in low light conditions.

The three sigs I know of people buying have sucked. Mine included. Distances way below marketing guarantees.

BluMtn

WKR
I have had the Sig Kilo2000 since they came out and have no issues with mine in varying types of weather. It ranges on animals (Deer, Elk, Yotes) out to 1200 yrds without any problems for me. I know there have been issues with some people using them, but I have not had an issue. This year I was ranging a barn at 3000 yrds.

I have had the Sig Kilo2000 since they came out and have no issues with mine in varying types of weather. It ranges on animals (Deer, Elk, Yotes) out to 1200 yrds without any problems for me. I know there have been issues with some people using them, but I have not had an issue. This year I was ranging a barn at 3000 yrds.

It seems like a 50/50 roll of the dice and I’ve experienced and read about it pretty extensively. Sig customer service just throws up their hands when they don’t work at anywhere near listed ranges. It’s awesome.

BluMtn

WKR
I agree idahohikker, it seems if you get a good one it is great. But if you get a bad one, it sucks. The other amazing then is I have had mine since they came out and use it a lot during the year and I am still on the original battery. I carry a spare just in case, but my meter says I have only used one bar so far. Guess I should have bought a lotto ticket when I got this one.

No matter which one you get, make sure you use only Lithium batteries in it. Any other type of battery will eventually leak and ruin your electronics. No one will warranty their product if they are damaged by leaking batteries. Lithium batteries cost a little more, but they seem to last longer, and work even in extreme hot or cold.

JoeDirt

WKR
If you're not in a rush, I would look into blemished range finders. I found a "blemished" Sig BDX2200 on Midway for $213 shipped. The box had a dent in it....lol

My Sig works from 5yds to 1700yds

Werty

WKR
In my experience, get one that goes 1/3 farther than your max distance. It will perform better for you.

Vandy321

WKR
Another vote for Sig Kilo 2000 or so...can be found for $150 or less used. Mine has never failed to range out to 1200...not much good beyond that unless its the side of a house.

IDMONK

FNG
I just got the new Vortex Razor 4000, and so far it’s been awesome! I would definitely consider this one.

I just got the vortex razor 4000 for $460 on eBay and ranged 2200 yards in scan mode without a tripod. I’m sure it can hit way further in the advanced modes. Warranty is important on range finders. I had two rangers and they kept breaking.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
The three sigs I know of people buying have sucked. Mine included. Distances way below marketing guarantees.
I've had the same experience. I bought the sig kilo 1250, and the farthest I can range an animal is 375 yards. Reflective targets sometimes out to 550, but must be VERY reflective. I've bought my last Sig...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I've had the same experience. I bought the sig kilo 1250, and the farthest I can range an animal is 375 yards. Reflective targets sometimes out to 550, but must be VERY reflective. I've bought my last Sig...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Yes. I hate Sig.