Range finder struggling

bdg848

WKR
I have a Cabela's Intesity 1600 rangefinder that seemed to be good quality and has a pretty long range for the money but it gave me some issues in Wyoming this year. I was trying to range a group of antelope bedded on a slope. I couldn't get a range to save my life. I was able to get a range on a cow that was further down the slope to the left but that information was only so useful due to not knowing how far the cow was from the antelope and at rough distance of 4-450 yards (based on the range I got off the cow and comparing distance visually) I was not comfortable "guestimating" for that shot. I think the solid background of sage had something to do with the troubles as it had no problem on the side of the giant cow. Do I need to spring for a more expensive rangefinder (I'd rather not. The one I have isn't broken or anything) or would the thick sage brush backdrop give any device trouble at that range? I had a similar struggle with a few lopes bedded against a wheat field slope but was eventually able to get a range due to them being closer and I was able to hold JUST steady enough on the body to get a reading.

Many rangefinders really struggle in flat rolling hill type country (antelope stuff)

I have had multiple different rangefinders fail me.

This year, one of the worst. My wife had a giant antelope, 80”+, at 500 yards. Two different Sig’s would not range.

Super frustrating, I know. I had to let the Sig’s go after that.

Same issues in alaska with a vortex rangefinder. Not just mine but my hunting partner as well. Very frustrating to spend money on a piece of equipment you count on to help with taking an animal only to get let down in the field.

Dcrafton

WKR
I’ve had my leica 1600 B for about 6 years now. Zero issues, I’ve looked at some of the other brands that have great glass and features but it’s hard to give up my Leica range finder. I’m sure there may be better ones but mine just work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had my leica 1600 B for about 6 years now. Zero issues, I’ve looked at some of the other brands that have great glass and features but it’s hard to give up my Leica range finder. I’m sure there may be better ones but mine just work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have same rangefinder, tough, small, light and excellent glass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk