Range Finder

My buddies son is going to be graduating in April, and he is going to be getting him a bow for graduation. I want to get him a range finder to go with his bow. I’m looking for something with a lighted reticle, as we hunt in the PNW and the lighting in the trees can make it difficult to see the read out (at least on my range finder, non lighted reticle). Also, it would need to have the angle compensator. Looking to spend about $300. I haven’t looked at range finders in a long time so any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leupold RFi w/TBR. Whatever the latest model is...2000 yd laser? Great bowhunting rangefinder...instant angle corrected yardage readout, including in scan mode, small "frame" that is easy to carry. OK optics, almost infinite battery life, will read to about 3/4 of listed yardage off trees, etc so makes a decent rifle rangefinder, or to measure distances to landmarks on a stalk with the bow. I even used the 0.1yd readout when I used it to measure distances around our house build for landscaping, rough laying out the foundation, etc. Great units.

My Leupold 1200 has been good for the last 3 years. Red lighted reticle and angle comp with the model i have. A big step above the $250 ones IMO.

TBHasler

WKR
I'd second the Vortex Ranger, newest lower priced is the Ranger 1300. I have older 1000 version and has been solid. I think the 1300 will go to 1300 yds on reflective target and out to 1000 otherwise. They are under your price point ($279 @ Academy Sports).

OP
M
Perfect thanks for the responses guys. I’ll check out the Leupold and vortex. If anyone has anymore suggestions post them up.

TBHasler

WKR
Also just saw Camera Land out of NY, sponsor on here I believe, has an Athlon Midas 1200 marked down right now from $350 to $200. Might give that a look as well. Good luck

rfc86

FNG
I bought my Leica 2400-R Rangefinder from Camera Land. Doug and his crew were very helpful and super easy to work with. Give him a call and you wont be disappointed.

OP
M
Thanks again for the help. I’ll be getting him the vortex ranger, it should accomplish anything he’ll need for bow hunting.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks again for the help. I’ll be getting him the vortex ranger, it should accomplish anything he’ll need for bow hunting.

I hate the vortex ranger and wouldn't wish it on anyone. Hated the button configuration and it was so slow.
I ground checked mine in a frustrated rage on a hunt in Alaska. Once my hunting partner and I each had a ranger trying to range a few caribou on the tundra. Neither one would spit out a range and the Caribou were less than 400 yards which our other buddy verified with a single button push of his Leica when he came to find out why we hadn't shot yet. I now own a Leica and my partner a Sig.
Hopefully they are better now but never again for me.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
M
I hate the vortex ranger and wouldn't wish it on anyone. Hated the button configuration and it was so slow.
I ground checked mine in a frustrated rage on a hunt in Alaska. Once my hunting partner and I each had a ranger trying to range a few caribou on the tundra. Neither one would spit out a range and the Caribou were less than 400 yards which our other buddy verified with a single button push of his Leica when he came to find out why we hadn't shot yet. I now own a Leica and my partner a Sig.
Hopefully they are better now but never again for me.

Thanks for the info, do you remember which model ranger it was?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the info, do you remember which model ranger it was?

It was the 1000 ranger it was the original vortex range finder. I dislike a lot of stuff I've used but that thing is in the top three things I loathe ever buying. Like I said hopefully they are better now but I'll never own another vortex product. With vortex it's hard to gauge it's products because they have a bunch of leg humpers that give them thumbs up without ever using the said product just because it says vortex. When it fails on your once in lifetime trip to wherever the warranty won't mean s--t! Trust me on that

curt514

FNG
Nikon for the win. Better response time than most with a brighter view. I tried the Leupold and did not care for it. I had a Bushnell that did not last a year and they refused to warranty it and the Vortex that I have used were very slow and dark. Nikon has never failed me. I know if one person that had an issue and it was replaced within a week with a newer model.

EmperorMA

WKR
Sig Sauer has great products for very reasonable prices. The 1400 BDX is really hard to beat at the price. I’ve ranged a single deer with it at 887 yards. Quick and with clear optics, too.

I know it’s over your budget, but the 2200 BDX is the real value in the Kilo line.