Range finders - what’s everyone using

ericF

WKR
FYI, Midway got in a pretty big shipment of Open Boxed Sig Rangefinders. They define these as having been opened to take pictures, do training, or take measurements. I'm not sure why, but they have over 50 of each variety so they must have come directly from Sig. The 2200 BDX is down to $400 from $500 and the 2400 bdx is $620 down from $800 along with 2 blemished ones at $575.

I was originally going to get the 2200 bdx, but picked up the discounted 2400 BDX for the ability to sync with a Kestrel. From the original release, it sounded like it would only sync with the Kestrel Elite ($700), but on Kestrels website they specifically say it will work with the standard Ballistic 5700 ($400).

I did quite a bit of research and the beauty of the sig is the Applied Ballistics Ultralight along with the app interface. You can input temp, barometric pressure, and wind speed and direction with the app to give you a shooting solution out to 800 yards. I looked pretty hard at the new Leica 2800.com which has all the atmospheric measurements built in, but the downside is that there is no way to input wind through the app. So if you want wind measurements with the 2800.com, you have to use a Kestrel Elite anyways. With the Sig rangefinder it is a manual process, but you can put in the data through the app if you are using a chepar kestrel to collect wind, temp, and barometric pressure. Or if you have the Kestrel and a 2400 bdx, then you can just use the kestrel for all the measurements and shooting solution.

Been using my Sig 2000 since they came out.

It's never ranged 2000 yards, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.. was used a lot 2 summers ago and it gets used 10 times daily since middle November relearning archery skills and still tickin.

Bit lagging on what's the latest and greatest bino, range finder, ballistic solver atmosphere reader.

I hate having too many damn gadgets, be nice to build it all into one unit, but I'm assuming that's still gonna cost 3000$+++++ no?

PONYBOY

Lil-Rokslider
Have a Ranger 1500 right now but it is going back to Vortex - I'm not sure if the ranger is defective or just not that great... Lucky to get reliable reads on reflective surfaces at 550 yards. On deer, not reliable passed 400.. Hopefully I got a lemon, we will see what Vortex comes back with.

K

Kootenay Hunter

and the beauty of the sig is the Applied Ballistics Ultralight along with the app interface. You can input temp, barometric pressure, and wind speed and direction with the app to give you a shooting solution out to 800 yards. With the Sig rangefinder it is a manual process, but you can put in the data through the app if you are using a chepar kestrel to collect wind, temp, and barometric pressure. Or if you have the Kestrel and a 2400 bdx, then you can just use the kestrel for all the measurements and shooting solution.

I love it when the bulls politely wait while you punch all the info into the phone!

micus

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2400 ABS, previously a sig2k which was a fantastic little machine. I have had nothing but good luck with both sig models.

bide2994

FNG
Sig 2200. Works pretty well out to that range. I’m hoping to upgrade to a set of Leica HD-B 3000s this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
I have or have had multiple Leicas and a few Sigs. Right now, have a Leica 2700 and a 2800, as well as a Sig 2400 BDX. Got a reviews up on them on the optics forum that might help. They all have their own strengths and weaknesses, depending on what you value and what you need. All three will do the job when it comes down to it.

I’ve been using 1600b for several years. Does everything I need it to do, I have ranged to 1900 yards with it. What will a different or newer one do that this won’t?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The other thing about 1600b is they don’t angle compensate inside 100 yards so I had to get a different rangefinder for archery.

I use the Bushnell conx, interfacing with the kestrel makes it great. Gets me ranges out to about 1200 yards 100% of the Time. Itll hit past a mile but it's not 100% returns.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

bradb

WKR
Vortex 1500 and a sig 2400.
Sig for the longer work. Had several others as stated above plus and minus to all

BadDogPSD

WKR
Sig Kilo 2000, but recently acquired a 2400ABS. I just need to take some time to learn how to use it!

hwy1strat

WKR
I used one of those 15% off coupons on eBay and got the Sig Kilo 2400 for $1050 shipped. That rangefinder is awesome! And the built in ballistic computer and weather is really sweet.