Range finding approach during spot and stalk

OP
Racethesunset
For context, I shoot righty and cannot decide if the RF should be attached to the ether side of my binocular strap, fixed to a pants pocket, in a pants pocket, on the arm, or elsewhere.

Thank you ahead of time for any of your past experiences.

I use the range snap and hook it to my right shoulder strap on my bino harness. I shoot righty and find that i dont have to move much to get a range with it right on my shoulder.

I am using a badlands bino harness and I put my rangefinder pouch on the right strap. I am right handed as well. Works great for me. Right there on my chest when I need it and I only have to lift it from my chest to my eye so it minimized movement.

TJ

WKR
I use the range snap and hook it to my right shoulder strap on my bino harness. I shoot righty and find that i dont have to move much to get a range with it right on my shoulder.

Same here, Range Snap is always right where you need it. (The range finder that is)

vcb

WKR
Similar, I use a lockdown harness and loop my rf strap around the right lower bino harness strap then my rf sits in my right pocket.

I put my RF around my neck positioned above my binos. Close to my face. Minimal movement

Last edited:

Solitude

WKR
Tried a few different things over the years. I always go back to a hip mount RF in a small case with an small elastic band. The elastic obviously stretches to allow me to pull the RF to my eye and helps pull/direct the RF back down to the case. it's on my right hip, out of the way of my draw and worst case I can let it hang if need be and it's out of the way of the bowstring. Cheap, easy and works.

rodney482

WKR
For context, I shoot righty and cannot decide if the RF should be attached to the ether side of my binocular strap, fixed to a pants pocket, in a pants pocket, on the arm, or elsewhere.

Thank you ahead of time for any of your past experiences.

Me too.... love the rangesnap.

Not sure if the rangesnap is the same thing I've been using or not, but most of the harnesses I've bought from places like Cabela's have a range finder attachment. I attach this to my right side bino-harness strap and gravity pulls the rangefinder and attachment down to almost belt level on my side. It's out of the way but easily accessible. I put it on my right side as I keep me left hand on my bow/gun. When I need to range, the location of the rangefinder is in a position that my hand can just grab it on the way up to my eye.

Last edited:

bowuntr

WKR
Leica 10x42 Geovids. Waiting for the top companies to get their sh!t together and come out with an angle compensator worth while for bowhunters... that's the ultimate piece of equipment. Ed F

OP
Racethesunset
It would be great to see a bino-range set in the low to mid 20oz weight. I have never liked 30+oz around the neck for prolonged periods. I will spend money when one the companies releases a lighter 8x32 variant, a lot of it perhaps.

I put my binos around my neck positioned above my binos. Close to my face. Minimal movement

Same here. Put just enough cord on em to get em over my head and to reach my eye. Keep em up high, out of the way, not bouncing and dangling, and short movement to bring em to my eye.

ckleeves

WKR
Leica 10x42 Geovids. Waiting for the top companies to get their sh!t together and come out with an angle compensator worth while for bowhunters... that's the ultimate piece of equipment. Ed F

It's going to be a great day when this happens. I think we will see it in the next few years.

J-Daddy

WKR
I use the Range-Snap as well...That's $12 well spent right there, handy little item. Plus since I use the OptiLogic Micro II rangefinder it's a really compact setup since that rangefinder is tiny.

jjenness

Lil-Rokslider
I keep mine on my right hip, with a retractable tether so that after I range I can just put the range finder down and let it hang. The ensures that the range finder and its case will never be a factor when it comes to my draw cycle or release.

Tdiesel

Lil-Rokslider
Im with Justin and coyote commander just cinch it up tight on my neck with just enough to reach your eye it stays out of the way when drawing and shooting always there and little movement.