Range finding binocular question

Badseed

WKR
For a few years I have debating on getting RF binos but the price point always kept me away. I have a pair of leica trinovids 10x42 and a leica rangemaster 1600 which have suited me fine but once again I am considering the RF binos.

I know leica is the gold standard but damn their geovids are pricey. The other binos I am considering is the vortex fury. They are obviously cheaper in price, dont have ballistics capability and have a slightly smaller fov but I am wondering if they are a better bang for your buck. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jolemons

WKR
I guide with another man that bought some too use while guiding this year. He has them for sale. His issue was not being able to consistently get ranges past 400 and in fog, snow and rain as well as with his rangefinder.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
The furys or geovids?

handwerk

WKR
I have been using geovids for many years and don't plan on changing. Keep your eyes out for some used ones and also call Doug and get on a list for the demos he gets from time to time.

Painless

FNG
SIG Kilo 3000 BDX, I used some while elk hunting this year and when I got back I bought a pair. The glass isn't on par with Leica but they are more than capable as binos and the RF is the best I have used.

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
I love my leicas but the main reason vortex was in the debate was because of the warranty. As far as I know they are the only manufacturer to warranty for life, the electronics on the RF binos. I would hate to spend $3k on some leicas and have the electronics crap out after the warranty. Then I would just have a heavy pair of binos.

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
Besides the extra ranging distance are there any notable differences between the older hd-b 2000, 2200 or 2700?

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
For a few years I have debating on getting RF binos but the price point always kept me away. I have a pair of leica trinovids 10x42 and a leica rangemaster 1600 which have suited me fine but once again I am considering the RF binos.

I know leica is the gold standard but damn their geovids are pricey. The other binos I am considering is the vortex fury. They are obviously cheaper in price, dont have ballistics capability and have a slightly smaller fov but I am wondering if they are a better bang for your buck. What are your thoughts?

Hey there - thanks for checking out our glass! Our product engineers are always working on new products, so if you are not in a rush for a set of range finding binos and are looking for other features, just hang tight! I can't go into details just yet, but you won't be disappointed ;)

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
I combined by vortex bino's and leica range finder for a set of 10x42 geovids with the ballistics. carrying one thing was easier for me......

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
I am leaning that way. Buy once, cry once! Now Im looking for a like new set of geovids.

The image clarity and user interfaces on the Leica are perfect for my uses. I also like being able to glass an animal while hitting a button for range then go straight to the rifle.

flytrait

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Geovid HD-R version purchased roughly 3 years ago the glass is impressive for my eyes. The only issue I have had is this year, I was hunting when a cold front came through and I could not get the range finder to provide any readings. I had a brand new battery, only when the temperature warmed back up they started working again. Needless to say I cost us a couple of shooting opportunities. Argg! I am with you on the potential warranty issues. I also did some research on here and found some others had the same issues with cold weather. I emailed the Leica RF rep that responded to that thread and have not received a response. Very frustrating!

Last edited: