Range finding binos for Alaska moose

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
Have any of you found it more useful to have range finding binos over binos and a range finder? Anyone have any pros and cons they can through out?

ctwert24

FNG
A few years back now I was on an elk hunt in AZ. We had weather move in with lots of snow and low visibility. My pair of Leica Geovid R 15x56 were failing to give me any accurate readings. Luckily, I also had my Zeiss PRF range finder and it was amazing the difference. Maybe the lasers are better in today’s rangefinding binos, but it’s definitely something to think about when weather is a possibility.

mcseal2

WKR
Only one AK moose hunt, so take it for what it’s worth.

I used Leica Geovid HD-B binos on my moose hunt. I bought them used, and now consider them the best piece of gear I have bought. I’ve had them to AK twice in cold wet conditions with no issues. I’ve also had them in CO, WY, and KS multiple times. Never a problem and I love them. Its easier for me to get an accurate range with the larger bino than a smaller rangefinder. I can also instantly range an animal instead of changing optics. I would not call them necessary for moose but they are certainly no disadvantage. For deer, antelope, or coyotes they are priceless to me.

A friend on our caribou hunt had a newer 3200yd version. They also worked great.

If you want to spend the money and are looking to upgrade I’d do it. I’ll never have a separate rangefinder for rifle hunting again.

bradb

WKR
There is several post if you search talking about this. If I am hunting for myself, gun or bow, I always prefer separate rf. It's easier to take a quick reading reading. If helping someone bino rf combo is sweet. I do have both

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
100% a great idea. Most moose are shot at <150 yards...majority of ours way less than 100 yds. But wolves and some moose much farther. Once you spot one on the tundra or open muskeg range is very deceiving. I use Swaro ELs and i'll never go back to a hand-held range finder.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Am I overthinking things by worrying about the range finder part of the bino breaking? I mean I guess it wouldn’t matter, you’d still have your binos, same as if you had a separate range finder unit and it broke. Still though, it’s always bugged me.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
nah those things wont stop working. I've never had a hunter tell me about their range finder quitting unless the battery life ran out, which is in the 10-12 year timespan.

PA Hunter

WKR
I have about a 8 yr old pair of Zeiss 10x45 RF binoculars absolutely love them for rifle hunting. Longest range was 1700 yds I got in Montana. I have had no issues ever with them. I would never use a secondary rangefinder after having these.

ColeyG

WKR
I've been using the EL Range for a few years and love the integrated set up.

The only downside I've encountered is when bow hunting. It is hard to manage the binos as a range finder in one hand and hold your bow with the other. I use a bino pouch and getting them in and out single handedly and then manipulating the range finding button on the binos with one hand while within bow range of your target is not easily or steathily accomplished. I prefer to have a separate range finder along for bow hunting, otherwise the rangefinding binos are the way to go.

Cliffy65

Lil-Rokslider
Same as said above. I have the geovids. When in close or exposed, it’s a bit awkward to range them one handed with a bow. It’s also more time and movement to open the bino harness case. My rangefinder is mounted on the side of the bino case for those scenarios. Having it as a backup doesn’t hurt either.