Range of your Goat Kill(s)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Of the 24 mountain goats I have seen killed personally (I have only shot 3 personally) only 1 was shot beyond 500 yards.

I would say 22 of them inside 400 yards.

Most I would put in the 150-250 yard range with a couple sub 30 yards in there too.

I think the illustration provided by Form above is spot on. While I do think goats are tougher animals than many critters I have hunted, I also feel I was usually "over bulleted" for them. Meaning the bonded or TSX bullets used on the narrow bodied critters didn't deliver as much energy as they would in say a much wider critter like a moose. When I do get back to hunting goats (maybe spring of 2019) I'll be using ELDX bullets likely as they have seemed to strike a good balance in enough high speed come apart to create a lot of internal damage but hold together good enough to penetrate in my experience using them.

bcimport

WKR
In general I’ve seen quicker knock down with the more traditional bullets, partitions or accubonds. I don’t claim to be a ballistician but I’ve seen more “one and done” shots with the high quality lead/copper bullets than the mono’s.

Maverick940

Banned
In general I’ve seen quicker knock down with the more traditional bullets, partitions or accubonds. I don’t claim to be a ballistician but I’ve seen more “one and done” shots with the high quality lead/copper bullets than the mono’s.

Roger that.

KU_Geo

WKR
My 2017 goat was at 17yds, offhand shot on a flat bench. 270 with150g Partition equaled bang-flop on a B&C goat.

OP
dreamingWest
I'll be pushing a 178 grain ELD-X about 2,730 fps out of a 22" barreled 30-06.

about 40 yards, over a rock, about 60 degree, dropped in tracks with one shot from ancient sporterized mauser 6.5 Swede (140 grain Norma). Body relaxed as we were approaching, rolled over and slid about 5 feet, rolled again, rolled again, then proceeded to somersault and cartwheel down the mountainside about 300 yards until he got slowed down by some scrub.

BAKPAKR

WKR
After a strenuous hour and half stalk, I blew a 50 yard offhand shot. I then settled down, got prone with a rest off my pack, and anchored my billy at about 150 yards. I was using a scoped 10” T/C Contender in 30/30 with 125 gr Nosler Ballistic tips.

Weatherby Lightweight Mountain Rifle in .270 Winchester, Kodiak, AK
3 hits in vitals with 165 grain bullets uphill, prone position on rocks, at about 225 yards
Tough animals.
Keep shooting until the mountain goat falls down. Much tougher than whitetail or mule deer or bighorn sheep.

Jimss

WKR
Another Billy

I can add another mtn goat experience to my post above....just returned from Alaska. I had a billy bedded at 85 yards. There was a little bush covering his vitals and a massive line of cliffs immediately below where he was bedded. Not a good scenario for a quick and effective kill shot. I could tell the billy would have to turn and come my direction once he stood up due to all the cliffs the other direction. If he came my direction there would be the chance I could anchor him with a solid shot before rolling down cliffs. I decided to set up and wait him out.

20 minutes past....and he did exactly as expected. Once he came my direction from the giant cliffs and stood broadside I shot. He stood in place for a few seconds and then calmly laid down! He only gave 2 small kicks and was dead! I was super fortunate to make a shot through both shoulders that anchored him in his tracks! The lesson learned on this trip was to take my time and think things out before shooting. If I would have shot him laying down or when he first stood up on top of the cliffs he likely would have kicked or made a death plunge to the abyss! What was nice was there was hardly any blood from splattering while rolling...not broken horns, etc!

My trusty 300 WSM did a number on him!

parshal

WKR
I shot mine this year at 152 yards. I watched them bedded at 360 and when they got up they came directly down to me!

Just got off mtn yesterday. I shot a stubby horned 6-8 yr old goat at 460 yds up mountain cliff. Held over and shot him 1st shot in spine. Then immediately after I shot him again a bit further behind front shoulder. He took a dive and rolled down mtn about 100 yards.

7 mm Reg Mag
160 gr Accubond

DA

Jackelope

Lil-Rokslider
I killed my billy last year at 99 yards with a 180 accubond out of my .300 win mag. Rifle was rested on my tripod.
He was bedded when I shot him and he never moved once hit. Just laid his head down and that was that.

a27730e81d78bf5670c917f5bcf55fad.jpg

OP
dreamingWest
I was able to punch my tag in BC! The trip was everything you'd want in a goat hunt. I hope to do full hunt story when I get caught up with the real world.

330 yards off a backpack. Barrett Fieldcraft 30-06 with 3-10 Nightforce SHV shooting 178 grain ELD-X bullets. I had time to dial the scope and hold right on. My first shot was a bit low but a heart shot. I center punched the lungs with a follow up. The goat tipped over right where I shot him. My buddy managed to get it on film. A dream hunt.

Jackelope

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats, dreamingwest. There’s something special about hunting mountain goats.

as.ks.ak

WKR
I’ll update my response as well. 290 yards laying prone.

d33ac804093f29dba1c655bc3663a480.cr2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arctic_Beaver

Lil-Rokslider
185 yards with my tikka .308, 168 grain Barnes TTSX, level elevation. 1st shot was right behind the front shoulder and he stumbled a few steps, 2nd one was a quick follow up as he was quartering away right before he disappeared out of view for a moment. Then he tumbled about 400-500 ft before coming to a rest. I recovered both bullets.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Of the 24 mountain goats I have seen killed personally (I have only shot 3 personally) only 1 was shot beyond 500 yards.

I would say 22 of them inside 400 yards.

Most I would put in the 150-250 yard range with a couple sub 30 yards in there too.

I think the illustration provided by Form above is spot on. While I do think goats are tougher animals than many critters I have hunted, I also feel I was usually "over bulleted" for them. Meaning the bonded or TSX bullets used on the narrow bodied critters didn't deliver as much energy as they would in say a much wider critter like a moose. When I do get back to hunting goats (maybe spring of 2019) I'll be using ELDX bullets likely as they have seemed to strike a good balance in enough high speed come apart to create a lot of internal damage but hold together good enough to penetrate in my experience using them.

Finally was able to watch #25 fall over last week. 420 yards. One shot and done.

TomM

FNG
340yds prone uphill. This was when I was still learning how to mountain hunt. I would try to close the distance more today. Setup was a M70 30-06 with a 180 partition at 2710. Scope was a 2-7. You don’t need a ton of magnification, just something light, durable and familiar to you.