Range Report: Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 Creedmoor 21" Barrel - Happy so far

Finally got a chance to shoot my new rifle. SWFA 6x42 mounted on low lightweight Talley mounts. She's a pretty little gun at 6 pounds 14 oz fully loaded. To prepare for this first range day I disassembled, cleaned, and lubed the rifle. I made sure to accurately torque the action screws properly (80 in-lb front, 30-something rear). Set the trigger to 2.8 pounds. Scope was mounted according to Formidilosus scope mounting thread. Basically clean off all the oil and mount to proper torque and with Loctite 262. I was a little concerned about running a 6x fixed scope, but obviously that is not a problem. Pretty sure out to 600 yards or so 6x will be plenty.

20191205_150835.jpg

20191205_152107.jpg

We have a private range on one of the little Sea Islands near Edisto, SC. It's limited to 100 yards right now. We have a 300+ yard range, but we don't use it during deer season.
Range.jpg

Sighted in with Federal Premium 140 Accubond at 25 yards (0.6" low for 100 yard zero). Then shot these first three rounds at 100 yards with a warm barrel. About 0.8 MOA made me happy.

20191209_145432.jpg

Changed to Hornady 140 grain ELD-M to really see what this little rifle could do. Tried really hard to aim to the best of my ability. About 0.6 MOA. That's probably as well as I can shoot any rifle. The "flyer" on the left was probably all me, not the gun. Wouldn't surprise me if it shot 0.4 MOA with a competent shooter. I'm a hunter, so this is all the accuracy I need. Overall I am very pleased with this light, accurate, expensive little rifle. It cost more than twice what I have ever paid for a rifle. Definitely no buyer's remorse!

0.6 MOA.jpg

Last edited:

BAKPAKR

WKR
That has got to make you happy. While you are testing ammo, I would suggest you try the Hornady 147 gr Match and the 143 gr Precision Hunters and the Berger 135 gr Classic Hunters. All three shoot less than 1 MOA in my Tikka. Plus, with the Bergers, you get Lapua brass!

I sure wish Barrett made a left hand version for me or a compact model with a shorter L.O.P. for my daughter.

OP
Mike Islander
Thank you for the recommendation. I was short on time yesterday, as I went before work. I have a few different factory loads to test, including at least two of what you recommend (maybe all three, can't remember).

Have to say this little lightweight has added a lot of fun to my "hunting".
20191209_114350.jpg

WKR
That 140 ELD load looks to be under .5 moa not that it matters. That rig checks all the boxes. And agreed on the 135 Berger ammo, had great luck with it to. This one looks like it wants to shoot it all good. The SS scopes are very nice and have used mine on game to 600 yards with no issue.

OP
Mike Islander
That 140 ELD load looks to be under .5 moa not that it matters. That rig checks all the boxes. And agreed on the 135 Berger ammo, had great luck with it to. This one looks like it wants to shoot it all good. The SS scopes are very nice and have used mine on game to 600 yards with no issue.

I'm glad you said it. Too many times I've seen people exagerate their shooting. Putting the calipers on there shows it's 0.63 moa for the Accubond and 0.4 moa for the ELDM.

Thanks for the heads up on your experience with the 6x42. It really is a lot easier than one might think to hit small with only 6x.

Last edited: