Range Time, Drills etc?

Hey guys, I try to do more lurking then posting but I'm also trying to be active on here. I think there is value in different opinions, ideas, skill level, environments and backgrounds. I try to search on here before posting as well to make sure I'm notcoming up with the same questions that has been asked a million times.

Having said all that my question for you guys is this - I am wanting to improve my shooting and extend out to 450 yard ranges. After my Sheep Hunt this October I realized even though I hope to get within 300 yards that it would be very beneficial for me to be accurate out that far. The local range here goes to about 300-335, and I've never consistently shot that. With Ammo shortages what they are - what are some things we can do to become (specifically me) better shooters. I was going to start by spending more times at the range - pure and simple. I've never been someone who has shot enough since I started hunting - between my 5 kids and wife I just haven't dedicated enough range time. I was going to shoot A LOT and start with a lot of range time with my 22LR, an old Remington 511 Score Master, bolt action, iron site. I am considering picking up a 223 or something else that shoots cheap and can throw alot more lead down range. Then my hunting rifle will hopefully be done soon and I can look at shooting it as well on a smaller scale to get familiar with the gun, keep me accurate and more.
So what 'drills', skills, etc are good to help get you more comfortable, to get you more set and help me (us) become more accurate and competent shooter which intern makes us more lethal hunters?

Rich M

WKR
Can you afford a class? I mean a long range kinda class - learning to shoot 1,000 yds will help you at 450.

Precision .22 shooting will help. Join a league maybe?

Decent pellet rifle will help.

Snap caps and dry firing will help.

Physical conditioning - pushups, dips, pullups, etc. Strengthen your shoulders and arms = better shooting if you have good form.

Use a rear bag - little bean bag deal for under the stock - really helps.

Your local range is 335, so IMO, you need to shoot as tight a group at 335 as possible. Get the muscle & breathing memory down for the shooting.

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
Can you afford a class? I mean a long range kinda class - learning to shoot 1,000 yds will help you at 450.

Precision .22 shooting will help. Join a league maybe?

Decent pellet rifle will help.

Snap caps and dry firing will help.

Physical conditioning - pushups, dips, pullups, etc. Strengthen your shoulders and arms = better shooting if you have good form.

Use a rear bag - little bean bag deal for under the stock - really helps.

Your local range is 335, so IMO, you need to shoot as tight a group at 335 as possible. Get the muscle & breathing memory down for the shooting.
I started looking into classes before but the only ones I found came up to Alaska from out of state. Not a bad idea. I like your ideas to, Loosing weight, hitting the gym, got a rear bag, want to shoot a ton. Thanks for the pointers!

woods89

WKR
There's a post in the firearms section with a great drill. Post title starts out "Equipment vs Practice" I think. It's a little hard on the ego. Not necessarily long range but more getting good enough hits quickly at typical hunting ranges from several different positions.

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
There's a post in the firearms section with a great drill. Post title starts out "Equipment vs Practice" I think. It's a little hard on the ego. Not necessarily long range but more getting good enough hits quickly at typical hunting ranges from several different positions.
I’ll check it out. Shoot I was probably just looking in the wrong forum for info.

tuffcity

WKR
FWIW you're probably better off putting in quality time with that one rifle rather than hopping all over the place with different firearms. Not that doing a lot of shooting with other ones won't make you a better shooter its just that you really should "get to know" this one if its your primary distance unit.

When you go to the range spend time on each shot vs putting as much lead down range as you can. Lay in the dirt and shoot off your pack or bipod (if you use one). Get to know how your rifle fits when you're in uncomfortable positions. Does it line up with your eye or are you fighting to get a sight picture. Does it sit on your shoulder properly. Spend time figuring that our before you take your first shot... you can do this in your back yard or even the living room- piece of tape on a blank wall. (if you have nervous neighbors lol) Get in behind it and look at your target, what does your breathing do to the sight picture? Can you feel and see what your heart beat does to target alignment.

Figure out how you press the trigger. Do you "squeeze" the stock with your whole hand as your finger breaks the trigger or can you isolate the trigger press to just the finger? Practice that- you don't even have to be holding the rifle. Get those 3 things down to automatic mode and magic happens. :)

When you do hit the range take your time. Did you accomplish all of the above before the shot? Get on target after the shot and think about what you just did. Rinse and repeat.

Just a couple of ideas to get you headed in the right direction.

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
FWIW you're probably better off putting in quality time with that one rifle rather than hopping all over the place with different firearms. Not that doing a lot of shooting with other ones won't make you a better shooter its just that you really should "get to know" this one if its your primary distance unit.

When you go to the range spend time on each shot vs putting as much lead down range as you can. Lay in the dirt and shoot off your pack or bipod (if you use one). Get to know how your rifle fits when you're in uncomfortable positions. Does it line up with your eye or are you fighting to get a sight picture. Does it sit on your shoulder properly. Spend time figuring that our before you take your first shot... you can do this in your back yard or even the living room- piece of tape on a blank wall. (if you have nervous neighbors lol) Get in behind it and look at your target, what does your breathing do to the sight picture? Can you feel and see what your heart beat does to target alignment.

Figure out how you press the trigger. Do you "squeeze" the stock with your whole hand as your finger breaks the trigger or can you isolate the trigger press to just the finger? Practice that- you don't even have to be holding the rifle. Get those 3 things down to automatic mode and magic happens. :)

When you do hit the range take your time. Did you accomplish all of the above before the shot? Get on target after the shot and think about what you just did. Rinse and repeat.

Just a couple of ideas to get you headed in the right direction.
Thank you and that’s some great tips! I definitely will be using some of those. The reason I was thinking about just trying to put lead downrange maybe even out of just my 22 is just for more trigger control and shooting of the actual gun. Seeing targets and practicing getting a small group with my 22 at 50 yards when I can’t be shooting hundreds of rounds through the 280AI. With ammo shortage is everywhere in that not being a super popular caliber anyway it’s just expensive and hard to get. I am hoping to possibly try to do some reloading but I figured I wouldn’t do that this season since I bought 11 boxes of ammo for this year. I agree though that I should spend as much time as I can with that particular rifle as it is my main hunting rifle now moving forward and plan on taking it on some weekend hikes/camping trips in May and June while my wife and kids are gone for five weeks. I want to take the rifle and most of my gear out for the weekends and see what I can put myself and the rifle through and shoot out at rocks or stumps during those outings.
Again thank you for the pointers I like a lot of what you pointed out and agree that getting to know that rifle is really important.

def90

WKR
You need to practice with the gun that you will be using, practicing with a .22 is a waste of time if you are trying to transfer that to a 300 win mag. Don’t use any equipment at all that you wouldn’t have with you in the field. If your range doesn’t go out as far as you would like use a reduced size target. Dry fire is great practice for trigger control. Take a tactical long range or sniper type class, you will learn a lot about various shooting positions, sight alignment and body positioning, as well as trigger control. A great drill if your range allows it is to leave your rifle on the bench, get up and jog 4 or 5 laps around the parking lot and come back and make your shot while your heart is still pounding away.

Another drill/issue to work on:

The biggest issue with most people is flinching when shooting, it’s a natural reaction. Have a friend with you at the range and have them randomly hand you the rifle, one time there could be a round in the chamber, the next time no round, either way it should be a surprise to you, no matter how much you think you have the flinching thing down you will see how much you really jump when your friend gives you the rifle without a round in the chamber.

Hmm.... not a real ”expert” rifle guy but I shoot a lot of pistol and carbine competitios and I bring those concepts to rifle practice. I would agree some of your practice needs to be with you actual hunting boomer. Especially as you get closer to Sesson. However, shooting other guns is good too ame will save ammo costs and let you shoot more. For most people, Shooting a few hundred win Mag rounds a year will burn up your barrel, beat up your shoulder and empty your wallet. In addition to my hunting guns, I have and use 22s and a 223 bolt gun. I’d say the 223 is a better “trainer“ for my hunting gun. Ballistics on a 22 and I consistent ammo makes precision shooting a pain in the ass. These days it is very hard to come by high quality 22 or 223 ammo for that matter.

as far as practice, be thoughtful and deliberate. Tight groups from a rest or bench have their place For sharpening fundamental skills but once you feel good move on to practice improvised positions. Prone, kneeling, sitting. Braced on a pack, tripod, post. Off hand shots. moving targets. Reactive targets. Timed shots for some added pressure. A few calisthenics to get you heart rate up. Mix it up and make a plan for your range sessions like a work out. It can be fun.

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
Thanks guys! I appreciate all the pointers I want to get comfortable and good with my main rifle and extend out to 450 yards just because of Sheep Hunting. I think there are a lot of opportunities to get closer but would like to be able to hit steel out farther and Hunt to the 450yd range.
I think a lot of time behind the trigger will be good with any gun but definitely need to shoot my main gun as much as I can in these ammo limiting times.

looks like I may skip the range this weekend though..... -6 would be possible if it doesn’t warm up.

Attachments

• 960A9871-58D5-4202-9B42-3A01D975CC5B.png
    960A9871-58D5-4202-9B42-3A01D975CC5B.png
    448.5 KB · Views: 5
Shooting often or even dry firing often will help a great deal with muscle memory. Doing this from different positions. Watch your crosshairs when you squeeze the trigger. Go prone facing uphill, downhill, sidehill ect. Use a tree as a rest. A huge part of accuracy beyond 300 yards I've found is body position and the consistency of your shooting form. This is mostly stuff you can do away from the range and not even burn up ammo, and should help when you finally do get to the range with some ammo.
I am fortunate to be able to shoot to 750 off my back deck. 1100 really but I haven't set up that far. Shooting weekly and having consistent form has helped me a lot but I'm still learning too.

def90

WKR
As far as POA and shooting goes one thing I learned from one of my tactical classes is to make sure your “natural” POA matches your positions POA.. meaning this.. if you are in a prone position and have your sights on the target close your eyes, inhale and exhale then open your eyes and see if your sights are still on the target, if not, move your body position until you stay on target in both conditions. If you are forcing your POA through muscle movements then you are more likely to pull that shot when you take it. Your body should be in a neutral position.