Range time with my new Kimber Montana

Bought a Montana in 280ai, put a 3x15 SWFA on top. I ordered 3 boxes of factory ammo: 162gr Hornady ELD-X, 140gr accubonds and 150gr long range accubonds. I also picked up a box of 150gr 280 rem core lokt.

0318191222_HDR.jpg

I took it and my muzzleloader to the range. In between my muzzleloader shots I went through the 280 rem ammo and got it close so I could shoot a few groups. Here is 4 shots with the core lokt. I have to admit I was nervous as I have heard the stories of Kimbers that won't shoot and this group with the 280 rem ammo was not horrible.

0318191145_HDR.jpg

After the 20 rounds of 280 rem I set up my chronograph and shot 3 rounds from the other 3 boxes. I got my best 3 from the 140gr accubonds followed by the Hornady and then the 150LRAB.

150 LRAB on top, Hornady center and 140 AB bottom.

0318191157_HDR.jpg

I shot my muzzleloader again then added a couple more rounds to get some more velocities. I think I did all right and for a lightweight setup and I am fairly happy with this first try. Some more range time will hopefully tighten up my groups a little. I think a lighter trigger would help too. With the Hornady and 140s the one flyer may have been me, hopefully.

0318191231_HDR.jpg

Velocities:
140gr- 3208, 3241, 3213, 3231, 3204
162gr- 2898, 2908, 2968, 2929, 2915
150gr- 2978, 2931, 2977, 2993, 2920

I would like to maybe send this gun out to get the trigger adjusted and have the stock bedded and checked for any improper contact with barrel or mag. There could be an improvement to the feeding too. Any suggestions on a smith that is good with these rifles?

One last note is I did have a slight issue with the windage knob interfering with ejection a couple times. I used Tally low rings.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I never went through any bedding or "pre-flight" checklist stuff on my kimbers, I never felt the need to on my particular guns, Id be curious to see how you do your bedding job, maybe I'll do it to mine.

OP
MuleyFever
I posted in another thread but after this outing I pulled the stock and found contact in the barrel channel and the mag box was pinched pretty good. Scope base screw and front action screw were good. I filed the mag box and sanded out the stock. Took the trigger to about 2lbs from about 4. Next trip to the range was worse as my groups opened up. Found more contact on the barrel and sanded it out. Third trip I was back to groups identical to above pictures. All that and no improvement. As mentioned bedding is next and that’s about all I can do I think.

I just saw this thread, don't know how I missed it. Anyway, I am interested in seeing what your end results are.

for some "unknown" reason I've never had nearly as accurate factory ammo in any of the Kimbers I've worked up loads for but handloads is another matter altogether - Kimbers, Montanas and now these HUNTERS I have all have been quite easy to find good accurate and reliable handloads for - I know I've been pretty "lucky" with the older ones but I think with the newer models it must simply be the specs they build them to, could be "first time" lightweight rifle shooting for some though, it DOES take a different "technique" to bench them for quite a few of us, I learned that early on

OP
MuleyFever
You can jump into handloading! Enter the never ending rabbit hole. Hahaha!

I am trying very hard to not go there. I don’t need another hobby.

But you are right. With factory ammo I may not get any better. I can accept that once I know the rifle is set up as good as I can get it.

Last edited:
I am trying very hard to not go there. I don’t need another hobby.

But you are right. With factory ammo I may not get any better. I can accept that once I know the rifle is set up as good as I can get it.
Oh, it sure is an expensive one. If you were close I'd have you buy a set of dies and we could make something happen. Something will end up working out for you. Keep at it, it will come together.

I have a 280 that’s at Kimber currently, but there’s no way I would’ve bought one if I didn’t handload. Factory options just aren’t there for the 280. While I’m absolutely going to try the few that are out there, I’m also buying the dies and whatnot because I’m sure I’ll need to handload.

On the flip side, I still haven’t bought 308 dies and I don’t think I ever will. The precision hunter and eldm stuff shoots great as is.

Nice job! I am a big 7mm fan and have been eyeballing the Kimber Hunter in .280 AI for some time now. Nice to see you have a shooter there. I'm surprised how well the regular .280 did. That's encouraging. I'd be real curious to know what velocities you got out of that.

2900 with a 162 ELD-X out of that light of a rifle has to kick pretty good. How tolerable is the recoil off the bench?

OP
MuleyFever
Nice job! I am a big 7mm fan and have been eyeballing the Kimber Hunter in .280 AI for some time now. Nice to see you have a shooter there. I'm surprised how well the regular .280 did. That's encouraging. I'd be real curious to know what velocities you got out of that.

2900 with a 162 ELD-X out of that light of a rifle has to kick pretty good. How tolerable is the recoil off the bench?

The recoil was not bad. I was expecting worse. I have a break on it now from Nathan (I think) at muzzle breaks and more.

As far as reloading I do have a few people I could get to reload for me. That was in the back of my mind when deciding to go with this caliber. So, I am not totally stuck with factory ammo. We will see how it goes.

The recoil was not bad. I was expecting worse. I have a break on it now from Nathan (I think) at muzzle breaks and more.

As far as reloading I do have a few people I could get to reload for me. That was in the back of my mind when deciding to go with this caliber. So, I am not totally stuck with factory ammo. We will see how it goes.
Looks like you have two good factory options that shoot well. I can't imagine what you couldn't do with either of those. Especially at those velocities.

Par for the course..

something that might be a try would be some straight 280 ammo with somethings that’s fairly jump insensitive like a ballistic tip.

You should try it anyways just for grins and report back.

have a hunch it might stack the deck in the right direction. Quick google search didn’t have anyone screaming about weird 280ai chambers Kimber uses or anything.

Par for the course..

something that might be a try would be some straight 280 ammo with somethings that’s fairly jump insensitive like a ballistic tip.

You should try it anyways just for grins and report back.

have a hunch it might stack the deck in the right direction. Quick google search didn’t have anyone screaming about weird 280ai chambers Kimber uses or anything.
Never said KImber could be making "weird" chambers in their rifles, they do advertise "match grade chamber" which to my way of thinking means "tight" to some degree or another - "something" WAS wrong that now seems to have been corrected …. a good thing
Concerning the "280 ammo", when standard rounds get "fireformed" there is a phenomenon (best way my limited understanding can describe it) causing the FF rounds to be quite accurate a lot of the time - when I FF 223 for the 223 AI using a "stiff" load but never as hot as what I'd normally load for AI varmint loads, the fireform rounds are at least as accurate as the finished AI rounds would be, another "good thing" as I've shot nothing but fireform loads on trips that were just as "successful" as others BUT you don't "jump" the bullet, the bullet should be in full contact with the rifling or case stretch could easily occur - bullet type or brand has made no difference for me

not following ya mate. Maybe we are speaking the same language but different dialect but for a refresher:

Can’t see any bullet kissing the lands in a factory Montana 280ai anyways so might as well use something less sensitiv compared to accubond LR and potentially the ELd-x.. to be fair both 120 and 140gr ballistic in 7mm have not been jump sensitive the slightest. From 10 thou in to nearly 140 thou off and you’re getting positive headspace with factory fodder.

not following ya mate. Maybe we are speaking the same language but different dialect but for a refresher:

Can’t see any bullet kissing the lands in a factory Montana 280ai anyways so might as well use something less sensitiv compared to accubond LR and potentially the ELd-x.. to be fair both 120 and 140gr ballistic in 7mm have not been jump sensitive the slightest. From 10 thou in to nearly 140 thou off and you’re getting positive headspace with factory fodder.
in order for a case that is about to be FIRE FORMED to not end up with the web stretched you must have the bullet in contact with the lands so there will not be any rearward movement (aka: headspace)

i copied it for you

“Standard 280 Remington ammunition would chamber with slight (.003”/.004”) crush at the shoulder/neck intersection and fire form into the Ackley chamber without the need to seat the bullet into the rifling”