Rangefinder binoculars combo

How many out there prefer the binoculars with built in rangefinder over separate bino/rangefinder? If so, what are the best bang for the buck options?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Once I went with the Leica geovids over a decade ago never looked back. They are used heavily and have served me well. Only downside. They saw a lot of bad conditions over a decade and stopped ranging over 500 yds. Currently in Germany for service and did not have last fall and felt naked without them. Would recommend sticking with the big two Leica or Swarovski.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
That last bit of clarity just better in the geovids imo.
Had to shop for backup glass for last fall so Checked out the vortex and did buy vortex set just not HD as simply for last fall and shed hunting. The vortex are good just not my geovids. A friend bought the new geovids last year. Compared the swaro version. Advised slightly better light gathering in swaros

for shadows and low light but ranging much better in geovids.

Vandal 44

WKR
I have owned the Zeiss 10X45, Leica Geovids 10X42 and the Swarovski 10X42 all with built in Rangefinder, all three have amazing glass. The Zeiss Rangefinder was the fastest at ranging a target but very heavy and bulky. The Leica Geovide I only owned for a few weeks; the rangefinder was not giving me a solid reading every time if I am spending that much money on something it better work. I exchanged the Leica for the Swarovski 10X42 Bino/Rangefinder and I am very happy with the purchase fast and accurate reading not to heavy the only down side is the Swarovski will not range under 33 yards for me its not a big deal.

You can't go wrong with any of these three

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Swarovski EL ranges are hard to beat. I've ranged out to 2100 yards just standing off hand with them. They are smaller and lighter than the geovids and definitely smaller and lighter than the zeiss model. I just have a little rangefinder for archery and goes out to like 2-300 yards. Little easier to handle at closer ranges I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcmurder77

Lil-Rokslider
One of the guys I hunted with last year was lucky enough to really play with both the Leica's and the Swaro's. He ended up going with the Leicas after playing with both side by side for a couple of hours and talking to a Swaro rep. From what I gathered Swarovski had Leica beat on glass, but Leica has the better rangefinder technology.

I only have experience with the Swaro 10x42 range and absolutely love 'em. For years I carried both 10x42's and a little range finder that went out to 300 yards, but also ranged in close. Since the vast majority of my hunts are with firearms, I figured I may as well try and simplify things a bit.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I picked up the Leica HD-B 10x42s when they came out and have had them around my neck ever since. Love not having to take two optics to get the job done.
I'm sure the Swaro EL Range is great as well and truth be told, I was going to get them instead of the Leica's but the swaro had the range button on the left side then and that's a no-no for a right handed bowhunter.

LostArra

WKR
I picked up the Leica HD-B 10x42s when they came out and have had them around my neck ever since. Love not having to take two optics to get the job done.
I'm sure the Swaro EL Range is great as well and truth be told, I was going to get them instead of the Leica's but the swaro had the range button on the left side then and that's a no-no for a right handed bowhunter.

That's good intel on the button location with the Swaro.
My buddy uses the Leica and the only issue I've noticed with them is the rubber armor smells bad.

rodney482

WKR
If im just bowhunting Its really hard to beat two units.

1 hand operation is a huge factor for me.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Mine don't have any odor....whats he doing with those binos?
I think Swaro is now putting the range button on the right side.

That's good intel on the button location with the Swaro.
My buddy uses the Leica and the only issue I've noticed with them is the rubber armor smells bad.

LostArra

WKR
Mine don't have any odor....whats he doing with those binos?
I think Swaro is now putting the range button on the right side.

The smell was kinda like the inside of a tire, vulcanized??
His were the second Leicas I've smelled like that.
Both are about 10 yrs old I'm guessing.
My friend kills lots of big animals so whatever it is it's not spooking game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the Leica HD-B 2200 rangefinding binos.

The built in ballistics is a great feature. I range my target, and it gives me my turret adjustments instantly.

I had Swarovskis. Did not like the rangefinding feature. It struggled to range out to 800, and effective range was around 500. Leica HD-B is about twice that (plus the Leicas have built in ballistics.)

Optical quality of the HD-B's is superb, every bit as good as the Swaros.

I do have a few complaints, mostly relating to the ballistics software implementation: The HD-B uses micro-SD cards to store your custom ballistics data. It's a pain in the butt to switch these out, and you have to switch the card when you want to change rifles. This isn't really an issue when hunting, but for range practice, it's a hassle.

The software interface is web based and really poorly implemented. There is no convenient way to save ballistics profiles or make true up adjustments to your drop charts. It can be done, but it's really clunky and inelegant.

Still, it's nice to not have to carry a separate range finder, and it's great to have the ballistics, (along with pressure and temperature and angle) all calculated with a single piece of gear.

rodney482

WKR
I would struggle to pull my optics out of my kuiu carrier with 1 hand.

For me having only one thing to grab instead of a bino and a RF is more efficient.
Its personal preference obviously but I prefer one optic over two.