Rangefinder buying advice Vortex Ranger 1800 or Sig Kilo2000

I am replacing a Leupold rangefinder for this upcoming season. I was really disappointed with the Leupold warranty on my prior rangefinder and have elected to focus on either the Vortex 1800 or the Sig Kilo2000 for sale at Cabelas through the 26th. Anyone have any advice on either? I love the warranty of the Vortex and have zero prior experience with Sig.

I hunt in a wet and sometimes cold climate here in the Pacific Northwest. Thanks for your advice!

alonsom10

FNG
I have a vortex 1300 I got 2 years ago for an awesome price. Has been excellent on the field and you can't beat vortex warranty. The 1800 is the same hardware wise but has more range which is a plus.

Jellymon1

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had both. The Vortex was 4 yards different on light and dark targets, made a difference with archery. It also wouldn’t range past 15 yds if there was any moisture in the air at all, even with 1+ mile of visibility. That is a deal breaker hunting western Washington. And the dark coatings on the inside near the lens started flaking off. Max range was around 700yds. I love my viper binos, but this rangefinder disappointed me.

My Kilo 2000 has brighter, clearer glass, ranges instantly, and there is zero difference between light/dark targets. It also will range in a reasonable amount of fog/rain. I like it much better than the Vortex, it out performs it in every way. The only negative I can say about it is it will only range to around 950yds. Not a big deal because I don’t shoot that far, but most kilo 2000 seem to get more range than that.

Overall I’m much happier with the Sig.

OP
Jaredpilot
I’ve had both. The Vortex was 4 yards different on light and dark targets, made a difference with archery. It also wouldn’t range past 15 yds if there was any moisture in the air at all, even with 1+ mile of visibility. That is a deal breaker hunting western Washington. And the dark coatings on the inside near the lens started flaking off. Max range was around 700yds. I love my viper binos, but this rangefinder disappointed me.

My Kilo 2000 has brighter, clearer glass, ranges instantly, and there is zero difference between light/dark targets. It also will range in a reasonable amount of fog/rain. I like it much better than the Vortex, it out performs it in every way. The only negative I can say about it is it will only range to around 950yds. Not a big deal because I don’t shoot that far, but most kilo 2000 seem to get more range than that.

Overall I’m much happier with the Sig.

How was the waterproofing on the Sig? Any concerns in a wet environment? I am pretty sure only the Vortex is considered waterproof

bpctcb

WKR
I would play with them both and see what you think. I agree about leupold warranty. Leupold sucks!

Can you expand on why you think the Leupold warranty sucks? I just replaced a 10 year old Leupold rangefinder with a new Leupold 1600 rangefinder and I’m curious what the problem is.

BP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jellymon1

Lil-Rokslider
How was the waterproofing on the Sig? Any concerns in a wet environment? I am pretty sure only the Vortex is considered waterproof

The kilo 2000 and newer 2200 that I believe replaced it are waterproof and fog proof. I have hunted with mine for 4 years in western Washington and it’s been soaked MANY times without any issues.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Can you expand on why you think the Leupold warranty sucks? I just replaced a 10 year old Leupold rangefinder with a new Leupold 1600 rangefinder and I’m curious what the problem is.

BP

They have the worst warranty in the business. And if it’s a day past their warranty date they tell you to kick rocks. Even if it’s a manufacturer defect. My old range finder started reading 10% off, regardless of light, conditions, etc. Nothing was done to the rangefinder to cause the software defect. There are other rangefinders that are just as good that have warranties that blow away leupold. I see zero reason to support them going forward, and I’ve bought and owned a lot of leupold gear.

Jellymon1

Lil-Rokslider
I just looked up the kilo 2000 that’s on sale at cabelas, and I’m not sure that it’s the same as the original kilo 2000 that I bought 4 years ago. It says that it has a polymer housing, mine is metal. So I can’t speak for that models performance or waterproofness.

S.Clancy

WKR
I have the metal housing Kilo 2000. It's great, ranged elk at 900 yards, vehicles over a mile. I can't speak to the waterproofing, its pretty dry in MT.

OP
Jaredpilot
I know the Kilo2000 offered at Cabela’s is made just for them and is probably a little cheaper but I am not certain whether it has a metal housing or not. I will probably have to see it first hand.

My old Leupold had issues with optics fading. A known issue with their rangefinders and their lack of a fix or warranty was enough for me to never buy another.

I had the same experiences with the Vortex that Jellymon1 had. It wouldnt correctly range my block targets or any target that was black. In the rain or even fog it wouldnt range at all. It went down the road along with a Vortex spotter.

OP
Jaredpilot
I ended up ordering the Sig KILO2000 on the Cabelas sale. They were offering an additional 10% off today at Cabelas (code 20CLUB820) I will see how well it is made when it shows up, thanks for the advice!

KDtrey5

FNG
If you don't end up liking the sig, get a leica crf 2700-b. Similar price range as the sig if you find a deal, and in my opinion a nicer optic.

Generally speaking I’m a vortex fan. I have the ranger 1800 and I find it to be good, but not great.

I bought a ranger 1300 2 years ago and the first weekend in the field it wasn't ranging past 200 yds. I put in a new battery and it still wouldn't work. I called vortex they ended up sending me an 1800 right away. The 1800 worked flawlessly the first year and I was ranging trees out to 1600 yards. Last year however I've noticed it doesn't work as well and if it's cold as in below 35 it won't range more than 400 yds. It's been frustrating and disappointing. I've never tried a sig but I want to try something different.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk