Rangefinder Decision- Vortex Crossfire HD 1400 vs Leupold RX-1400i TBR/W

I am looking for a rangefinder for 3D archery and hunting this fall. Based on other threads and reviews I have narrowed my search down to the Vortex and the Leupold. Both are $199 on Amazon Prime. Do you guys have any experience with one vs the other and what would you recommend? Thanks in advance for the help.

One man’s experience here. I had a Vortex that frustrated me to no end. It would only get readings on the most easy to read surfaces. Once past 400 yards it was near impossible to get a reading. It was a 1300 yard range finder. I understand that 1300 is on an optimal surface. But I couldn’t even get reliable readings at 400-600 yards on good surfaces. It was probably a reliable 300-350 yard rangefinder. I bought a Leupold RX-2800 and it could not be a more opposite experience than what I had with the Vortex. A little less than twice the cost. But it works when I need it so worth it.

OP
S
One man’s experience here. I had a Vortex that frustrated me to no end. It would only get readings on the most easy to read surfaces. Once past 400 yards it was near impossible to get a reading. It was a 1300 yard range finder. I understand that 1300 is on an optimal surface. But I couldn’t even get reliable readings at 400-600 yards on good surfaces. It was probably a reliable 300-350 yard rangefinder. I bought a Leupold RX-2800 and it could not be a more opposite experience than what I had with the Vortex. A little less than twice the cost. But it works when I need it so worth it.

Thank you for the data point. I always appreciate real world examples. I ended up going with the Vortex HD 1400 for the warrantee and waterproofing. I am only going to range out to 80 yards if that for archery. If I have the issues you mentioned ill return it though.

Yep. You’re welcome. I think for shorter yardage you will be fine. Mine worked well ranging any distance I’d take an archery shot.