Rangefinder help

So I got a leupold rangefinder for Christmas and it doesn't have angle technology, sad day since I primarily archery hunt. I gave it to my dad and now I am in the market for a new one. I need help finding one. If you guys could give me some ideas that would help a lot. I would really prefer to not spend $300 on a rangefinder but I guess if that's all there is, then I will.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Nikon archer choice is less than your budget but also only ranges out around 100 yards so if your spook span it wouldn't work for you. Seriously I like mine but do find times I would like farther ranges like planning the last leg of a stalk

Beastmode

WKR
Not a fan of angle compensating rangefinders. I like to push a button and have a yardage show up. No equations figured in or anything just a yardage. I practice shooting at different inclines so I feel confident with my shots at angles. I like having a rangfinder that goes out to 800+ yards to help plan stalks. The archers choice doesn't have this feature. I think its a must for western spot and stalk hunters. I would take a look at the nikons. I have the monarch 1200 and really like it.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 1000i TBR is the one of the best for archers. The angle compensation in bow mode goes to 125 yards. It will also work for you if you need it to plan stalks, etc. The 10001 also has several menus, so if you want just line of sight you can have it, or you can have the angle compensating distance. It is light and small as any. The 1000i TBR also measures in 0.1 yard increments, which will make it that much more accurate. I use the 1000i TBR now for both target and hunting.

I did use the Nikon Archers Max the last two years and it worked great, but it only went to 200 yards. No problems with any of the functions or how it worked. I probably would still be using it if I wouldn't have lost it in Colorado.

Leupold rx full draw! I got mine for $300 with a 20% off coupon from cabelas, it will range line of sight out to 800 yards, and does angle compensation out to 175. Also does 1/10 yard increments out to 175. Super simple to use, don't have to worry if its in bow mode or something else, only gives you 1 number.

On second thought it might not be the answer if you are going to be using it for anything but archery, because you can't turn off the angle compensation, and it doesn't tell you the non-compensated yardage inside of 175.

The only thing I use mine for is shooting my bow and it works great for that.
The bushnell chuck Adams or the Bushnell 850 arc (exact same rangefinder),is a good one also and it is a lot cheaper, but it only compensates out to 100 yards. Same as the Nikon archers choice models, which is more than enough for hunting applications, but not enough for crazy fun practice :)

I have compared my leupold and a bushnell side by side at BOWCAST AT THE BIRD, they displayed the same yardage on flat shots, and displays the same or really close to the same angle, but they must use different formulas to figure the cut because the leupold cuts more yards on really long, really steep shots, which seemed to be more accurate according to where my arrows were hitting.

Blackcow

WKR
Nikon 550 riflehunter. In angle mode it just spits out the range, and the extra yardage never hurts I'll never use a 100 yard rangefinder again. I use the extra yardage to plan stalks all the time.

Do you have a cableas near you? I just picked up the leupold1000i TBR for $290 in thier bargin cave.:D It comes with a 30 day return if I don't like it. You always can call them and see if they have one there