Rangefinder in the cold

Does anyone have experience with their rangefinder not reading in single digit temps? I’m assuming this is a common issue.

Any recommendations for a rangefinder that works well in single digit temps?

Thanks.

Keep it in your shirt pocket to keep it warm at all times. My Leupold worked fine at -40* when Polar bear hunting, at least at 30 yds. I only took it out of my pocket and ranged at the last minute. ( Same as all my electronics, stored in a pocket, under those conditions).

Also, the batteries can be affected by the cold. Lithiums are less affected by the cold than alkaline batteries. Lithiums will not leak and ruin your electronics either. I use Energizer Lithiums in my electronics. They seem to last longer, especially in cold weather.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Does anyone have experience with their rangefinder not reading in single digit temps? I’m assuming this is a common issue.

Thanks.

I would not say “common”, but not unusual either. As has been stated, batteries are the number one issue. Keep a set close to your body and rotate every morning/as needed.
Having said that- yes, rangefinders can and do get cold soaked and stop ranging regardless of battery state. Of the RF binos I have seen, below freezing for days at a time without being warmed up can cause issues, and it’s more noticeable when below 20°. The common issues are slower ranging and inability to range past 200-250 meters.
A good example was a on an elk hunt a few years ago, there were multiple examples of four different RF binos. The only one that had no issues from cold were Nikon Laser Forces. Swaro EL Range worked, but were just a touch slower than normal. Two others would not range past 238 yards no matter how many warm batteries were installed until the units themselves warmed up completely.

I would suggest if you hunt in truly cold weather, to test your individual RF by leaving it out for a few days out of the sun in the coldest temperatures you can, and then checking them thoroughly.

I haven’t used handheld RF’s other than Sig’s and a couple of Leica's much the last few years, a couple of issues with them.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Keep it in your shirt pocket to keep it warm at all times. My Leupold worked fine at -40* when Polar bear hunting, at least at 30 yds. I only took it out of my pocket and ranged at the last minute. ( Same as all my electronics, stored in a pocket, under those conditions).
Excellent and practical tip. Makes total sense. I always carry it outside to be ready but that has caused issues..

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Also, the batteries can be affected by the cold. Lithiums are less affected by the cold than alkaline batteries. Lithiums will not leak and ruin your electronics either. I use Energizer Lithiums in my electronics. They seem to last longer, especially in cold weather.
Awesome thank you! Good idea on batteries no reason to skimp there.

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
Keep it in your pocket until the game animal is close enough to throw the rangefinder at...then you know the distance is in shooting range... ;)

OP
Kyle Wheeler
I would not say “common”, but not unusual either. As has been stated, batteries are the number one issue. Keep a set close to your body and rotate every morning/as needed.
Having said that- yes, rangefinders can and do get cold soaked and stop ranging regardless of battery state. Of the RF binos I have seen, below freezing for days at a time without being warmed up can cause issues, and it’s more noticeable when below 20°. The common issues are slower ranging and inability to range past 200-250 meters.
A good example was a on an elk hunt a few years ago, there were multiple examples of four different RF binos. The only one that had no issues from cold were Nikon Laser Forces. Swaro EL Range worked, but were just a touch slower than normal. Two others would not range past 238 yards no matter how many warm batteries were installed until the units themselves warmed up completely.

I would suggest if you hunt in truly cold weather, to test your individual RF by leaving it out for a few days out of the sun in the coldest temperatures you can, and then checking them thoroughly.

I haven’t used handheld RF’s other than Sig’s and a couple of Leica's much the last few years, a couple of issues with them.
Thank you for the information. I’m going to start carrying my extra batteries where they can stay warm. I had the issue in 6 degree weather could only range to 150. It actually resulted in me being so slow getting to a bull that other hunters shot at him from a ways off as I was just trying to get a range for a very long time. It was a lesson learned and on my first elk hunt. I’m heading back next year and trying to prep as best as possible to avoid that happening again. I’m going to have to do that test you suggested just need freezing temps.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Keep it in your pocket until the game animal is close enough to throw the rangefinder at...then you know the distance is in shooting range... ;)
Haha this is the best advice!!! If I can hit him with a rangefinder I should be able to make the shot 😎

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor

Thanks.
One important aspect to keep in mind that it usually is not the rangefinder itself that fails at cold distances, but it is usually the battery. As already noted by a couple other members, keeping the unit/batteries as warm as possible well help prevent the battery from freezing up.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
One important aspect to keep in mind that it usually is not the rangefinder itself that fails at cold distances, but it is usually the battery. As already noted by a couple other members, keeping the unit/batteries as warm as possible well help prevent the battery from freezing up.
Awesome thank you! This is all making more sense. I’ve had game cams not work as well in single digits as well. Will only use lithium from now on and keep batteries warm with carrying a spare.

jbwright

WKR
Completely agree w/the approach to keep it on you. I used to keep mine in my daypack or even in the RF pocket on my bino chest harness - I ran into issues w/what you're talking about and began keeping it on me (I used the lanyard it came with around my neck and tucked it between my base and mid layer). Also, vote here for keeping a spare battery on you when weather is that cold and you're out for a sustained period of time - a small backup battery is high on my short list of "backup" gear

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Completely agree w/the approach to keep it on you. I used to keep mine in my daypack or even in the RF pocket on my bino chest harness - I ran into issues w/what you're talking about and began keeping it on me (I used the lanyard it came with around my neck and tucked it between my base and mid layer). Also, vote here for keeping a spare battery on you when weather is that cold and you're out for a sustained period of time - a small backup battery is high on my short list of "backup" gear
This sounds like the best consensus. I had always carried it in my bino harness which is probably why I had issues.

tntrker

WKR
Great info..I had a new Range finder and it worked as it was supposed to here in SC but the first day out in Montana I couldn't range animals 100yrds away, or even trees. I changed batteries, but the backup was in the bino holster, with no change. It never worked in the mornings. I got back to SC and Vortex sent me a new finder. Just wonder if that's what the issue was..cold batteries..

jbwright

WKR
Great info..I had a new Range finder and it worked as it was supposed to here in SC but the first day out in Montana I couldn't range animals 100yrds away, or even trees. I changed batteries, but the backup was in the bino holster, with no change. It never worked in the mornings. I got back to SC and Vortex sent me a new finder. Just wonder if that's what the issue was..cold batteries..
Yeah, unfortunately I had to learn this the hard way when I led some wilderness trips in N California and S Oregon. Extreme temps on either end of the spectrum will cook a battery, sometimes completely kill them. I've observed the same cold effect on flashlights / headlamps - used to exclusively run Petzl/Black Diamond but have since transitioned to Fenix w/the rechargeables - they're good to go for a several day trip with plenty of juice to run after the adventure's over. Batteries are an easy add and low weight especially for the 4-5 night + excursions. Admittedly I'm too reliant on my rangefinder but I guess that's why I own one LOL - few extra batteries ain't a thing IMO.