Rangefinder Question

Sankacoffee

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for advice between two rangefinder options.

1. Leica Geovid 2700 HD-R on sale for $1999 this week and sell my 2010ish Swarovski EL 10x42.

2. Keep Swaro’s and buy a handheld rangefinder in the $500 or less range.

I’ve never had an issue with the Swaro’s but need a rangefinder and would like the convenience of having both in one. I guess I’m just concerned I’m going to lose toughness or optical clarity going to the Geovid since they are not made in Germany. Maybe I’m overthinking it but any thoughts appreciated.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I went through this debate earlier this year and decided to keep my binos and RF separate. I think there are a few threads on this topic (with lots of folks chiming in who know more than me), and I can't remember all of the pros and cons of the two sides, but FWIW:
  • I believe that some have said that the difference in optics isn't as pronounced as it used to be (in general, I can't speak to the Leicas);
  • I worried about the electronic components (encountering a problem, obsolescence) in a combined bino/RF package, whereas stand alone alpha binos can last you for a very long time; and
  • I do a lot of archery hunting, and I don't want to always have to use my binos to range, as I perceive that I can be sneakier w/ the LRF than the binos. (I could also be rationalizing.)
I also toy with the idea of one day going to the deer tree stand without any binos, but I would not go without my RF.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

I went through the same dilemma recently. Ended up selling my Leica Geovids (which were great) and buying swaro ELs and Leica 2800. Pretty happy with that setup.