Rangefinder range

OdinIII

Lil-Rokslider
I’m getting back into hunting and would like a decent rangefinder. I’ve been considering the Vortex Razor 4000 mainly due to the warranty. I would like to have a trouble free experience with deer to 600 yards and targets to just a little further. I’m a little concerned that I’m overspending and may be as well off with a cheaper unit.

My question is given two models with one having a range of double the other unit, would the one with the longer max range be more likely to get a reading in bad conditions on an animal that is also within range of the lesser unit?

In theory yes, but I don't know how much of a real world difference it will make. The better the laser and optics on a range finder the better it's going to work at ranging things. So a 4000 vs a 2000, the 4000 will have a stronger laser and more than likely better optics which should make it more reliable at any range as there is a better chance of a clean signal making it back to the rangefinder for the software to clock and give you a distance on.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

I have the Vortex Razor 4000. Very nice rangefinder. Used it on an elk hunt last year, ranged my elk at 505 yards in heavy snow, spot on. My guide and several other hunters used it and really liked it. I also have a Leupold 1400, which is nice also,mostly used this for archery, never longer distances. Had a Sig (lower end model don't remember which) but it would not range past about 400 yards.

I was thinking about picking up a Leica but am very happy with the Vortex. The other one I am looking at for a backup is the Maven. Love my Maven B2 binocs!!!!!