Rangefinder recomendations

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
Ok I have an inexpensive rangefinder ( Bushnell bone collector) that I used last year in Colo. on an elk hunt. The range finder works great on Eastern whitetails and I will use it for them going forward. It however failed at the long ranges we were seeing elk and more importantly on the animal that I shot at. My rangefinder was almost 100 yds off from the guides unit and it took awhile to get a reading. So I am looking for a unit that can range accurately out to at least 800 yrds, 1000 yds would be better. It needs to do it in a faster time frame ( less than a few seconds) and It should be $400 or less. Have tried a Sig 1800bdx and liked it, dont need most of the BDX stuff. I wasn't planning on buying one this year but I'm going back and booked a moose hunt for northern Ontario in 2022 that I will need it for that as well. I am going to need a new glassing tripod as well but that another discussion.
Thanks

4rcgoat

WKR
Im running a Vortex ranger 1800. Red illuminated reticle, great warranty. The scan mode also works great.

11boo

WKR
I am not happy with my sig kilo. I was ranging rocks and such when it would not register on elk at under 500.

OP
B

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
Where we hunt it has a lot of scrub oak and sage, so I need something that can discriminate to at least 500 yards, and mine wouldn't read over 400-450 yards when pointed at one of the large boulders at a known 600 yards. I would go used on a quality unit as well

I had a Sig Kilo1250 that I liked but didn’t range as far as I wanted. Then I bought a Nikon Black 4000 and had great luck with that. Then I moved to the Sig kilo3000 BDX binos and love them. I’d have no problem buying Sig or Nikon again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pirogue

WKR
Before I retired, I managed several multimillion dollar construction projects, with many large heavy civil contractors. All the best contractors always had Leica survey and distance measuring equipment. Was a no brainer for me to choose a Leica rangefinder.

Nikon black range x 4K is what I have. Had it for a few months and I’ve ranged deer to 1,000 yards and under the right conditions I’ve got cows out behind the house and hit them just shy of 3,000 yards. I think you can catch it on sale below 400

Love my Sig Kilo 2200 (non-Bluetooth). Works like a charm and was a big upgrade over my old Vortex rangefinder (think it was the Ranger 1000).

I‘ve been using Leica CFRs for years and love them. Have had them side by side on the mountain when other brands in camp couldn’t get a readout through the mist and the Leica blew right through. Just got the new 3500 and it is truly a cut above. In addition to all the bells and whistles of being able to link it to a Kestral and the ballistic app Leica made a big step up by using a much more powerful 3R laser. It’s a bit more expensive than other brands but clearly the leader of the pack. Better optics, better laser, better ballistic readout than the competition. Here is a Rokslide review.

Antares

WKR
I’ve been using a Leupold RX-1600 lately. I like it well enough. It regularly gives me 1000+ yard readings on non reflective targets like brush, grass, and trees.

I absolutely love my Leupold RX 1300 TBR’s. I’ve ranged as far as 1150 yards with them. I honestly did not expect that capability based on some previous Nikon’s and Bushnell’s I’ve owned.

not only do they reach out, but they are crystal clear and they range every time! Unlike those others that fail in low light and believe it or not bright light. And they are very compact.

I’m telling you guys, for the money, you can take what you would have spent on a pair of Leica’s or Swaro’s and buy a bow. Or a pack, or a spotting scope and have a great range finder

Mosby

WKR
I've used a number of different brands. Leica, Zeiss etc., I buy a new one about every 5 years need it or not. They seem to improve enough by then where they are always smaller and seemingly better. I am currently using the Leupold 1600. I like it. Smaller than my older Zeiss and has been extremely accurate in my home made testing. My needs are pretty simple though.

Leupold 2800 pops up for less then 400 from time to time and I got my razor 4000 for 400 bucks so it can be had cheaper occasionally. The razor has been my favorite rangefinder to date

sndmn11

WKR
Nikon black range x 4K is what I have. Had it for a few months and I’ve ranged deer to 1,000 yards and under the right conditions I’ve got cows out behind the house and hit them just shy of 3,000 yards. I think you can catch it on sale below 400

We have two of these. They are fast at reading and really reach out there. I think they are a great purchase.

I‘ve been using Leica CFRs for years and love them. Have had them side by side on the mountain when other brands in camp couldn’t get a readout through the mist and the Leica blew right through. Just got the new 3500 and it is truly a cut above. In addition to all the bells and whistles of being able to link it to a Kestral and the ballistic app Leica made a big step up by using a much more powerful 3R laser. It’s a bit more expensive than other brands but clearly the leader of the pack. Better optics, better laser, better ballistic readout than the competition. Here is a Rokslide review.

This in any model. They always work. imho

Wildbuck

FNG
After returning three different units to Vortex under their warranty and still having issues, I won’t buy Vortex again. The words of their warranty are great, but how much is it really worth when you spend more time with your glass in the mail than actually in your hands?

This in any model. They always work. imho
I’ll 3rd the recommendation for Leica. If you want a rangefinder to work in the field in low light you need to get one that’s rated to distances further than you need. In other words a 1600 yard ranger is great for 1000 yards when hunting. My Leica 1600 will actually give me ranges to 1800 in perfect conditions. Fast too and every time. I’ve use Leupold. Hated it. You gotta carry the instructions with you to remember how to get through all of the functions. I’ve used Swarovski as well and I still like my Leica better. Look for a close out or used on eBay.

Here’s one: https://badassoutdoorgear.com/produ..._content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic

Wassid82

WKR
I've owned several (Leupold,vortex, leica). Hands down I would buy the leica. I have seen them sell used in your 400 price range. The glass is 7x and the clarity is amazing. ranges very accurately and fast. light weight and easy to cary. If I were you I would definitely lean that way.