Rangefinder that actually works past 300

A few years back I picked up a Bushnell ARC 1,000. It received a lot of good reviews, and I bought it primarily for bow hunting. For what it is, it has performed flawlessly. What I learned last year out in west Kansas, however, is what it isn't. That, my friends, is a 1,000 yard rangefinder. Perhaps I should have done a little more homework prior to purchase. In ideal conditions you'll get 350 or 400 yards out of it. Anything less than ideal and it's effective range is extremely limited. I realize you can only ask so much of any unit. If it's pea soup out there and you can't see past 100 yards, then you aren't going to get any use out of one.

However, I'd like to be able to range out to 500 in a very light drizzle, or moderate humidity. Is this do-able with any units. I may not necessarily want to take a 500 yard shot, but that would be a good measuring stick to judge how far an animal might be if he appears to be 2,3,4-5 x farther than ranged marker. Hence, the decision on whether or not to pursue is made more easily.

Any recommendations? The Bushnell was not exactly cheap. I think I paid like high $200s at the time. Would be willing to do that again, but I'd need to pick up some actual additional utility. If that's not likely, I'll limp along with what I've got.

Thanks,

PH80

BluMtn

WKR
I have the SigSauer Kilo 2000 and last week during a heavy snowstorm I ranged a bear at 600 yards. Good clear days I have ranged wind towers at 2400 yards. I have ranged deer and elk on rainy days out to 4 or 500 yards no problem.

Your solution is simple. You need to check the beam divergence on the unit. The smaller the beam divergence, the greater the accuracy and the less effect atmospherics have on the distance reading. Most units will try to hide this figure but with a little digging, you will find it and your seeking of the truth will set you free to make a much better purchase decision.

OP
P
I have the SigSauer Kilo 2000 and last week during a heavy snowstorm I ranged a bear at 600 yards. Good clear days I have ranged wind towers at 2400 yards. I have ranged deer and elk on rainy days out to 4 or 500 yards no problem.

Holy crap. That would satisfy the "actual additional utility" requirement.

OP
P
Your solution is simple. You need to check the beam divergence on the unit. The smaller the beam divergence, the greater the accuracy and the less effect atmospherics have on the distance reading. Most units will try to hide this figure but with a little digging, you will find it and your seeking of the truth will set you free to make a much better purchase decision.

So... less divergence is ALWAYS better? This feature is what drives the whole train, and what you're paying for? Well, that plus durability, feature, etc. Sounds good. Thanks.

Leica makes a very good rangefinder. Lighting and weather will affect how far a rangefinder can pull on any given day, I've had days where i can pull 1800-2000 with my leica, other days i might only be able to pull 1200-1300. I run the leica 1600 and am completely happy with the ranges it pulls in all different lighting conditions.

I have several buddies who use the sig 2000 and have had good luck with it, I've seen their sigs pull some good ranges.

I bought a sig 2000 and first time out with it, I couldn't get it to pull past 500 in pretty typical light conditions. My dad was with me and had his leica 1600, the leica had no issues at all pulling distances out beyond 1200 yards. I figured it was a defective unit so I returned it for a new one. Had the exact same problem with the 2nd unit. So I returned it and picked up a leica, and have not looked back since. Like I said, I know the sig is a good rangefinder I have personally seen a couple that worked very well and ranged right with my leica side by side, but I personally did not have good luck with them. I have confidence in the leica that I frankly did not have in the sig.

KHNC

WKR
My Vortex Ranger 1500 will range 900-1000 typically on deer sized critters. Never really tried anything past that distance. But its solid out to 600 on most anything ive tried.

Mable300

Lil-Rokslider
A couple years back I found a great deal on EuroOptic for the Leica rangemaster 800. This thing will range out to 1000 yards no prob and is always consistent regardless of weather.

Did you try a fresh battery? I try to get by with cheaper rangefinders because I only need it to hit 500 or so, and it’s really important to have a full battery or near it to hit the max ranges. This year I picked up a sig kilo 850 for about $75 (demo unit) which has a stated max range of 1200 I believe. I can hit about 700 yards if it’s the right target. It also helps a ton to get the unit as steady as possible when ranging. Obviously you can spend a lot more and get less hassle...but my cheap ways have never cost me an animal. For the 400 yard max distance guy like myself I think the cheap ones will get you what you need it’s just a little more effort to get a range at times.

I see several responses regarding "getting a reading back" from their devices. This is not as important as getting back an ACCURATE reading. It is important to actually check your data with a GPS reading to confirm how accurate the reading is.

I did this with the LEICA 1600B and was surprised how well it the unit worked, but only out to about 1,200 yards. Past that, it started to give irregular readings that eroded the confidence of the shooter.

Saying you get a reading means very little, because that laser may have bounced off anything. Practice in the field is needed to confirm your laser is working well for your purposes.

AnchorF22

WKR
I've had similar issues with my Leupold RX-1000i-- no returns off large boulders that are 400ish yd away, no idea why. After some failures to range in animals for key shots in the field at reasonable ranges (again, 400ish), I'm done with that one. I've had much better success with Leica Rangemaster 1600, and now I just picked up a Leica Geovid 2700 bino-rangefinder-- can't wait to get to the field with those! For any optics, call Neil or Doug at Camera Land NY-- great selection, great prices, and great service!

OneRingTrTa

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Swarovski and the Leica 1600,,,both will range to 1200-1400 yards on reflective targets,,,$999 for the Swarovski and $799 for the Leica,,,I have read that the Zeiss will also range past 1000 yards and is $599.

Just got back on the grid from a Colorado elk hunt and my Leica worked great. Highly recommend them.