Rangefinder that compensates elevation

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider
Is there such a thing as a rangefinder that compensates for elevation. Ex: I line my gun in at 2,000 feet elevation and program my rangefinder at that elevation, when I go out west and am at 10,000 feet elevation would it compensate for the elevation change and give me an accurate reading?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohearchai

FNG
Theres a few lrf with ballistic apps, but I am pretty sure that most lack the atmospherics. Now the sig 2400 abs, basically does what your kestrel does. If you range at 2000 elevation and then range at 10000 it will give you the correct dope for the distance since it has built in elevation, temp, DA, etc. Depending on the actual distance,it can vary a little or a lot, in the past I had some dope charts based on different DA, most out to 500 were close enough, past that no.

ultraedge

FNG
G7 has pressure sensors.I took it from Georgia at 488 feet elevation to Colorado at 10,000 feet and made a cold bore hit on a one minute rock at 1015 yards.

OP
BenHankins

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a real basic shooter. Like 500 yards would be max for me. I don’t even know if shooting within 500 yards I would need it. If I have a Leupold vx5 3-15 custom dial system, would I be alright with just a basic RF at distances around 400-500? I also didn’t know if the Leica 2700 offerings would benefit me over a regular RF with me already having a CDS from Leupold. Sorry I don’t know a whole lot about long range shooting, just trying to have a solid setup to make an ethical shot.

Ohearchai

FNG
What are you shooting, I just ran some numbers on a couple different calibers and I would feel fairly safe out to 400, past that and some elevation changes come into play.

OP
BenHankins

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider
What are you shooting, I just ran some numbers on a couple different calibers and I would feel fairly safe out to 400, past that and some elevation changes come into play.

Browning xbolt .300 wsm nosler big game acubond 180 grain.

HuntnPack

WKR
I’d recommend a Leica. The 2800.com would be my choice having owned several others.
(G7, Sigs, Leupold, & others)

The 2800 has onboard ballistic solver & you can enter a custom profile & get a solution out to 1000 yds.
Ranging & Optical performance is Excellent, Far better than the others I have owned to date. Sensor is located in center of reticle. Doesn’t require sensor mapping like others. It also easily ranges thru tight stuff & gives correct readings.
Easy to setup. It’ll do what your needing & more. compact, lightweight, decent price.

Also has Bluetooth to Link up to Kestral
If you decided to expand it’s capability
out to the maximum of the rangefinder.

Last edited:

Brendan

WKR
Browning xbolt .300 wsm nosler big game acubond 180 grain.

Run the numbers and see how much it matters. For me shooting the Berger 215 it's a 4" difference at 500 yards going from sea level to 12,000'

But, Sig Kilo 2400 ABS will do that as long as you set it up correctly.

I wouldn’t buy a rangefinder for rifle hunting that doesn’t, it’s too convenient. Sig abs 2400 and most top leica models do this.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Is there such a thing as a rangefinder that compensates for elevation. Ex: I line my gun in at 2,000 feet elevation and program my rangefinder at that elevation, when I go out west and am at 10,000 feet elevation would it compensate for the elevation change and give me an accurate reading?

We rent the Leica HDB-3000 10x42, the Zeiss Victory RF 10x42, and the Sig KILO 2400ABS. All three can be programmed with your custom ballistic profile and will compensate for temperature and pressure changes that can be a major factor when hunting the high country. Let me know if we can help! Also if you decide that’s the right choice for you, we’ll apply 100% of your rental toward purchase for up to 7-days.

Darin Cooper
Rent Guns and Gear
855-355-3337
dbbb90a95a1b95e1f49cb617042fc971.jpg

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
For what it’s worth, I use a kestrel drop D3 and it just sits in my pack. Blue tooth’s to StrelokPro . It updates environmental conditions about every 10 minutes . I live at 371 feet and it was dead on at 8000 feet and we were shooting 700-1200 (at paper, not woodland creatures )
Only downside is you don’t get wind (like you would have time while hunting ) and you have to buy pro version of strelok. Battery life on the kestrel is awesome . I think the unit was about $100

khuber84

WKR
I purchase the new Zeiss victory rf 10x42, also have a sig kilo 2400abs, and kestrel. Also run shooter app. I cross check them regularly. Any lrf with a pressure and temp sensor will compensate accordingly as long as you have proper atmosphere data for your zero.

swisski

Lil-Rokslider
For what it’s worth, I use a kestrel drop D3 and it just sits in my pack. Blue tooth’s to StrelokPro . It updates environmental conditions about every 10 minutes . I live at 371 feet and it was dead on at 8000 feet and we were shooting 700-1200 (at paper, not woodland creatures )
Only downside is you don’t get wind (like you would have time while hunting ) and you have to buy pro version of strelok. Battery life on the kestrel is awesome . I think the unit was about $100
I'm curious about this exact setup. I'm pretty green with LR shooting/hunting but have been playing around with Strelok Pro for a couple years now. I know I need to input more data into the app itself (velocities at different temps, etc.) but I've had issues with the app being slightly off per recommended MOA adjustments at a given distance. I'm wondering if this device paired with Strelok Pro app will help close that gap and give me more precise adjustments from the start.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm curious about this exact setup. I'm pretty green with LR shooting/hunting but have been playing around with Strelok Pro for a couple years now. I know I need to input more data into the app itself (velocities at different temps, etc.) but I've had issues with the app being slightly off per recommended MOA adjustments at a given distance. I'm wondering if this device paired with Strelok Pro app will help close that gap and give me more precise adjustments from the start.
Environmental conditions in the ballistic predictors will help. The Kestrel Drop and Ballistic Arc's enviro systems work well to get accurate drop and wind deflection.

But, every gun shoots bullets differently affecting the BC. You will need to "true" the solver to your actual data. Shoot several ranges and record all the inputs. Then, tweak the ballistic inputs until it matches real life. There are many ways people say to do it, but change velocity out to 800 and BC beyond that until the predicted curve matches your actual curve. Make sure and get ALL the inputs accurately for best results.

The closest you can come is a personal drag model where Applied Ballistics actually radars your bullet shot from your rifle. That will predict across a wide range of variables.

Next is the custom drag model for a bullet by Applied Ballistics. I have found it to be very, very close. Often with no changes needed inside 800 to 900.

Hornady 4dof uses a reputedly good system for its bullets.

Streloc, Shooter, Ballistic Arc, they all use the same of very similar computer models. Streloc is very popular.

Kestrel, Sig, Vortex and other products with AB solvers built in give you custom drag models free.

rootacres

WKR
It appears the new Fury HD AB will do it for you (there may be others too). Most ballistic software apps will be able to compensate for elevation. My home range is at 700ft and I killed a bull at roughly 6500ft this year. I just punched in my expected elevation to the app, it spit out a chart and I used that on my hunt. My zero basically remained unchanged from my home range to higher elevation. Also something to consider is the humidity at longer ranges. Just something I noticed from 700ft and 80%+ humidity to 6500ft and 15%+ humidity.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
It really helps to do a verification at range . I do most of mine at 400 . It’s has been solid (for me at least.)

swisski

Lil-Rokslider
It really helps to do a verification at range . I do most of mine at 400 . It’s has been solid (for me at least.)
Circling back here over a year later. Completely forgot I even posted on this thread. I'm doing verification tomorrow, at least for velocity out to 500 with Strelok.

I do have a question about the Drop D3 though. In device settings under 'reference altitude/barometric pressure' do you have to just set that reference once? For example, I'll be hunting in Idaho with no service and constantly changing elevation. My thought is I could grab pressure through a weather update on my gamin, or rough altitude through OnX, I'm just not sure how often I'd need to update that reference parameter? Also I'm assuming you just leave on 'Altimeter' under mode selection since that accounts for changing elevation? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks again.