Rangefinder with good angle compensation

Slim Jim

WKR
I have been using my Luepold RX-750 for a few years and it works well with both bow and rifle but when it's in bow mode it only compensates out to 60yrds. I'm looking to buy a rangefinder for archery only that will angle compensate out much further and was looking for your thoughts. I'm shooting comfortably at shots beyond 60yrds and would hate to miss my buck of a lifetime because I wasn't sure of an angle comp.

I've got rx1000 tbr and its the same on bow mode won't do anything past 60 which is frustrating so I just use the rifle mode on the lowest setting but my dad has the rx1000DNA and that supposedly can range in bow mode out to a 125 yards but we have tested it that far. Farthest test was 80 yards. Good luck in your search hoped that help.

Last edited:

ElkNut1

WKR
Jim, the Vortex Ranger 1000 will go out the full range with angle compensation. It will range animals or their close surroundings as the earth, trees, rocks, etc. to 700yd-800yds regularly, we can also range mtn sides to 1000yds. Hope this helps.

ElkNut1

wapitibob

WKR
For Archery and mid range rifle, you can't beat the Leupold RX1000i tbr or the Vortex. Just depends on preference. The early non i version Leupolds used a ballistics calculation in "bow made" for angle comp that didn't work, you want cosine only.
If you're going out further than 700-800 yards for rifle you need a different rangefinder than the two above. Leica1600b probably, but it doesn't do angle comp under 100 yards. Bushnell also has their new 1 mile ranging bino's that look good on paper but no real world testing yet.

I use the Nikon 550. Very simple. You have distance mode and angle. That's it. Point shoot distance. I got it to ping off on a Juniper tree last year on my elk hunt at 600 yards, and it ranges a bit less than 20 yards.

But I have been looking at the Leica rangefinder, 1200b I thi link it is. Supposed to read distance, angle, temp, and barametric pressure. More for long distance rifle shots, but will get duty for archery as well.

Duk Dog

Lil-Rokslider
For archery have a look at the Bushnell "The Truth" - true horizontal distance to 199 yards.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Jim, the Vortex Ranger 1000 will go out the full range with angle compensation. It will range animals or their close surroundings as the earth, trees, rocks, etc. to 700yd-800yds regularly, we can also range mtn sides to 1000yds. Hope this helps.

ElkNut1

Thanks Paul
So you like it for archery? You know I really vortex so this is definitely on my list

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
For archery have a look at the Bushnell "The Truth" - true horizontal distance to 199 yards.

Thanks DD
I haven't ever used any Bushnell products. How is their warranty service?
200 yards is plenty far enough and is all I need because I plan on keeping the rangefinder I have now for rifle(if I ever use it again)

ElkNut1

WKR
Jim, yes I do like it for archery, we are using 3 of them at this time & they are excellent. It's brighter than the Nikon 550 RifleHunter & Leupold RX 1200 that we have here too. The Leupold is better than the Nikon though. Lots of good ones out there, find one in your budget & bright so you have good low light readings, the Nikon cost me a bull two years ago, there was 30 minutes of light left & it wouldn't read a bull my son had called in to me in the timber, that was the last time I used it but still have it for comparisons, other than that it's been a good rangefinder.

ElkNut1

OBP

WKR
Bushnell's warranty service leaves something to be desired. I had a pair of their binos years ago and had to send them in to get an eye cup fixed. I had to pay to ship the binos to them, they had them for 6 or 7 weeks, and then I had to pay shipping back. Contrast with a leupold scope I had years ago, they emailed me a shipping label, fixed the scope, and shipped it back to me at their cost, in one week. I won't buy anymore bushnell products.

MattB

WKR
How is the magnification working for you on that unit? I had one of the original Leicas and the only thing I did not like was the small field of view given the higher (7x) magnification. I am thinking about buyng one of these units due to all the other good aspects.

Brunton is coming out with one this year and their warranty is pretty solid. You break it and they will give you a new one. I have my eye on the vortex as well. Did they make any changes for 2013 vs. 2012?

sk1

WKR
I don't recommend bushnell at all, and agree their warranty service leaves something to be desired

I really like the size and the optics on the vortex and I think the software is solid and you can't beat the warranty. Does anyone know if the inconsistency problems that were reported early on have been fixed? If so I think the Ranger would be my choice.