Rangefinder?

Wrench

WKR
Who's not using one? I've not picked mine up this year and stump shooting is bang on from 35-40 in.

I don’t use one. I limit myself to 20 yards or so, and it’s not too hard to estimate range that close. I also shoot a fixed crawl so my trajectory is pretty flat out to 20 yards and being off a few yards won’t matter. If I estimate wrong and it’s a little farther, I’ll miss low which is fine with me.

Btaylor

WKR
I use one to range stuff around my setup for quick reference but have never ranged an animal prior to taking a shot with a stick or compound.

Skuhzz

FNG
I use one to range stuff around my setup for quick reference but have never ranged an animal prior to taking a shot with a stick or compound.
I did this on a hunt last weekend as well. I have been carrying one with me this season but don't find myself using it too often.

wodje96

FNG
I still use one. it gives me a feel for the area, I don't really 'need it' but it gives me confidence. Its amazes me how wrong I am sometimes and in general I'm pretty good at estimating range. I usually just figure out where 20-25 yd is and I'm good to go for the spot I'm hunting.

I'm torn. I shot my bull at 40 without one. But in a treestand I like having an idea of the bushes and trees around me. I'm a treestand rookie and have a hard time shooting instinctively at that sharp of an angle.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I shot right under a giant elk (in the 350-380 range) because I misjudged the distance and hadn't ranged my surroundings thinking I could "estimate" the distance fairly well. An error I will not repeat. This monster was screaming at me from about 40 yards but looked like he was 20-25 yards away. This encounter will stick with me a long while...even after I'm dead.

zankuleg

FNG
I have Swarovski 10x42 Bino with rangefinding ability, the best. high recommended.

GLB

WKR
I started to use one again. I have always shot my bows instinctively but this year I wanted to have a point on distance for my hunting bows which is 40 yards with my set ups. So basically from 0-30 I would instinctively aim (or whatever you want to call it) and 35-40 use my point as a reference.

To make that work I need to know the distance for sure. Also I like to range objects for stalks. Just another tool/method to make the magic happen.

xOttox

FNG
I use mine to get a idea of ranges around my stand. Never have actually used it on an animal
Same. Try find land marks and get an idea of how far out they are from my stand. Then look for and mark 40 yards as im just not comfortable reaching out past that.

Beendare

WKR
I use a RF when I can.

Some shots its just not necessary....in fact pulling up a RF on some close shots is just asking for the animal to make you and blowing the opportunity.......instead of taking the shot you had

Some longer shots a RF is insurance.

I typically use my RF most on stalks...not in close but I RF landmarks when I'm still 100 yds out...ranging the landmark I want to get to then the animal and subtracting for the distance. This saves me from having to pull out the RF while in close and blowing the opportunity.

An RF is money on stationary setups too....always good to know the range beforehand....its bad form if you have to pull out the RF when an animal is coming in.....we should already know the distances around our setups.