Rangefinder

Mirxivus

FNG
As much as I don’t like to recommend vortex, they make solid rangefinders. I’ve had a ranger 1000 for years and it’s still returns solid ranges to 600 yards. It’s a perfect little archery rf. Leupold also makes a great unit. I would not hesitate to buy a leupold either.

I looked at a sig this year at elk camp and they are also really nice. Didn’t have much of a chance to play with it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why would you not recommend Vortex generally? They seem like good value. Newbie here trying to decide on binocular/spotter/scope selections.

cams

FNG
I had a Bushnell 1 mile CONX as my first range finder because it integrated with my Kestrel. It was great for precision rifle stuff but was hard for me to use one handed. Sold it and bought a Vortex Razor HD 4000 LRF from S&S Archery. I really like it so far.

I have a leica 2400, can't see the display if it's bright out.
sounds odd for leica, I have hunted coyotes in snow with leica 1600 for long time no issues, the 2400 would be first on my list right now for the OP's ask in a handheld, to the OP I'd look into this a little further before ruling out the leica

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using a Bushnell Scout 1000 for about 8 years and have zero complaints. Prior to that I owned 3 different Leica r/f's and could not get a one of them to range a dall ram.

Outwest

WKR
Why would you not recommend Vortex generally? They seem like good value. Newbie here trying to decide on binocular/spotter/scope selections.

Vortex has just left me with a slightly sour taste after dealing with a few binos and scopes that have had issues. I know they have a killer warranty but that’s not what we’re talking about. I think the glass is only just average for what you pay and I think you can spend as much or a little extra and get something better, with a similar warranty. Again, I have a vortex crf that won’t give up the ghost after years of use but I would say for the price I paid, there are other much better options (sig, Leupold).

Binos, spotter and scope… look into something else, Kowa spotters, used/demo Leica or Swarovski binoculars, Zeiss or leupold scopes. A slight investment in optics now will save you money down the road.

Mirxivus

FNG
Vortex has just left me with a slightly sour taste after dealing with a few binos and scopes that have had issues. I know they have a killer warranty but that’s not what we’re talking about. I think the glass is only just average for what you pay and I think you can spend as much or a little extra and get something better, with a similar warranty. Again, I have a vortex crf that won’t give up the ghost after years of use but I would say for the price I paid, there are other much better options (sig, Leupold).

Binos, spotter and scope… look into something else, Kowa spotters, used/demo Leica or Swarovski binoculars, Zeiss or leupold scopes. A slight investment in optics now will save you money down the road.

Can Leica be found used at $500?

Only have experience with one, but I really leica my Leica.

Can Leica be found used at $500?

Depending on the model, yes. Mine is a 1600B, that I got used 4 years ago in like new condition. I paid $280 with original box and paperwork, spare batteries, case and tripod/window mount.

Last edited:

bwhtr26

FNG
does anyone know if leupold is planning a replacement for the rx5? i know the price has been a consistent 500 for the last two years, but i just saw a company had a special sale and had them
down to 400 a week ago

I bought a Leica in 2004/5. Been using it all these years in heat and cold. Dusty ,wet and dry conditions.
I bounced around in a atv saddle bag for years. I took the battery out every year and replaced it. Never failed to range yet. If I live long enough for it to crap out its very likely I will replace it with a Leica 2400.
I cant compare it to anything as its the only RF I have ever owned. No issues and no reason to upgrade.
I’m surprised it hasn’t with the conditions it has survived and my bad luck with anything electronic.
The rubber coating is showing signs of deterioration but still working.

does anyone know if leupold is planning a replacement for the rx5? i know the price has been a consistent 500 for the last two years, but i just saw a company had a special sale and had them
down to 400 a week ago

Leupold LRF's are probably the worst on the market. You're lucky if they'll hit reflective targets to half of their advertised difference. Non reflective targets and/or poor conditions.... good luck.

The Leicas CRF's are the best bang for the buck in a LRF and you can get the 2400-R for around $500 if you call the right dealer like Euro Optic. Or you can get the 2800 ballistic model for $100 more. I wouldn't waste my money on anything else.