Rangefinding Binoculars, Are they worth a d@mn?

rcook10

WKR
I feel like I have experienced a boom and now bust in the gear I like to take in the woods. When out in wyoming where the views are long and the walks are longer, I used to pack a rangefinder, spotting scope, shooting sticks, bean bag, binoculars, and so on for a hunt. I have recently started to realized that I seem to be more successful and lighter on my feet when I carry less gear. From my gaudy long range set up I have transition to a classic remington 600 in 308 with a pencil barrel and mcmillan edge stock, 12 to 7 pounds just like that. It seems like a set of 10x range finding binoculars would further allow me to simplify my kit. So how about it, any of you use any of the many versions out there? Got any thoughts on "less is more?"

tdhanses

WKR
I was against it for many years, till I tried it now I’m fully onboard and think they are worth it. I have the Leica HD-B and feel I give up very little to the Swaro SV EL’s I had prior but I now have an RF in the bino.

If the RF ever fails I still have an excellent optic.

Last edited:
I bought a pair of 10x42 EL Range binos a few years back and ditched my rangefinder. My Swaro‘s won’t range anything that’s really close, like around 30 yards or less, but I only use them for rifle hunting so close ranges are not needed. I absolutely love them, and not having to carry an additional rangefinder is just one less thing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLibka

Lil-Rokslider
I asked this elsewhere but haven't gotten a solid response. The electronics in bins are warrantied for 5 years by most manufacturers. Is that 5 year warranty separate from the lifetime warranties on the "Glass" aspects of the bins? For example, if I picked up Zeiss RF's and in 7 years the glass fogs/eye cups crack/you name the issue, would they still fix the glass aspect and just leave the electronics alone? Or am I only covered by the 5 year and its done? Thanks for anyone who can shed some light.

Beendare

WKR
The older Geovids used to warranty the RF for 5 yrs only...binos lifetime...this might have changed recently.

I ran the Geovids for about 7 years going back to a bino and separate RF....I'm finding I like the units being separate better for a few reasons but mainly due to the RF binos are noticeably heavier.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Same question as the OP. 28 ounce Zeiss Conquests plus 7.5 ounces or so for a range finder; or 31 ounce Sig Kilo3000?

Wapiti1

WKR
My 2 cents. Unless you go to the upper end of the combo units, meaning Leica, Zeiss, or Swaro, you will get better optical performance with separates.

So either spend the money for the top end or stick with your current setup. As Marbles notes, the weight is the same overall.

Jeremy

tntrker

WKR
I had a pair of Vortex Fury 5000 ordered. After a month of waiting for them to ship, I came upon a whole new world of issues I never saw before during my research with them. it appears fog and mist will keep them from ranging. I have a pair of Vortex Range finders that are that way as well. I cancelled the order..

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If I was a rifle hunter I would have had a pair of Geovids years ago. But for bowhunting I rarely use my binos as it is, and only occasionally get the time to range an animal before shooting. Although I did use my binos more this year sheep hunting than I have in the past 15 years combined.

huntnful

WKR
Cannot speak highly enough about the new Zeiss Victory RF 10X42's. I've ran them for 2 hunting seasons and they've been awesome! they are excellent glass and I also shoot long range and their ballistic calculations are $$$. They compensate for angle/elevation/temperature/humidity and have never failed me once the right ballistics are entered. I've grown to fully trust them now and they are all I carry... unless i'm archery hunting, I like a small rangefinder.

TomJoad

WKR
Leica HDB 3000 here. Love, love, love this set-up for rifle and would never go back. Also love the convenience of having them scouting to better understand the limitations of glassing spots and possible shooting lanes in the off-season.

rootacres

WKR
Vortex Fury, great glass for the price IMO. It simplified things for me too. I only carry a handheld rangefinder when archery hunting. For rifle hunting it was a no brainer.

I have been hunting with Zeiss Victory 10x56 RF binos for years now. I love them. I have been in situations while bow hunting where I wish I had just a regular RF though as there is less movement involved to get a range.

cbeard64

WKR
Since there’s really no weight savings, I don’t see the point having a component (rangefinder) you rarely need for a specific purpose built into a component (binocular) that you are using constantly as perhaps your most go-to piece of gear. Just adds more weight to your binoculars.
Rangefinders are so light and handy these days having a separate one that’s ready for instant use in a pocket or on your belt when needed is no problem at all.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
The few extra ounces for a combo unit don‘t outweigh the convenience. I find it’s simpler and quicker for me to push the range button on my Leica HD-B binoculars to get the range when I’ve got the bino’s in hand, vs having to put the bino’s down, grab the rangefinder, find the animal and range it, and then get on the rifle. Also if the animal is walking amongst others, the bino’s work better for me.
Looking forward to learning how to plug ballistics into it so it will range and show my drop.
YMMV.