Rangefinding Binoculars

Jakerex

WKR
I’m thinking of making the move to rangefinding binoculars and I’m getting a lot of recommendations for the Lecia. I know it’s important to spend $$$ on good glass, but there is a big price difference between some of these. How do the less expensive models, Vortex or Sig, compare to the Lecia and Zeiss models, glass and function wise? I could give two chits about the Bluetooth and ballistic crap these are able to do, so that is not a consideration of mine. Thanks for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
Sig and vortex RF binos don’t compare to the Leica or Zeiss RF Binos optically - that’s why Leica is 3x the price of Sig/Vortex.

If you’re on a budget, you can get the Sig 3000s for around $800 on sale right now. Otherwise, you can get the Leica HD-B 2700 for $2k on sale.

Is the lecia hd-b 2700 their least expensive model? I see there are quite a few different models over the years with different ranges and features. Gets confusing. Is the glass the same in all of the Lecia’s with difference being electronics (Bluetooth, ballistics, sd card capability, etc.)

On the budget end, is the sig typically recommended over the vortex? I read a couple reviews talking about the vortex having issues in freezing temps???

Wapiti1

WKR
Leica Geovid-R are the lowest price in their line and are very good. I'd go with those if on a budget, even if they are spendy.

I have not used the Vortex or Sig offerings.

Jeremy

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
Any idea if Sig has another rangefinding bino coming out soon? They currently have no rangefinding binoculars on their website. The page for them is empty

Timnterra

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Sig kilo 3000 binos and a good friend of mine has Leica 2700hd-b. The laser is actually better on the Sig but that’s the only better feature. The Sig ranges faster and further than the Leica. For the things I don’t like about the Sig: the rubber coating on the Sig is very annoying to me it sticks inside my bino harness and is frustrating to pull in and out. The eye cups have a loose rubber wrap that tries to pull off when I’m pulling them out of the bino harness. The objective lense sits right at the front of the binos with maybe 1/8” of over hang so the lenses are probably going to be scratched. I’ve had them for two deer Seasons so far and my impression is they are a little heavy and could be more clear and have better light transmission but I haven’t missed seeing any deer that others saw because of the lower quality glass. I am pleased with their performance especially for the price. I bought them to upgrade my Sig kilo2000 rangefinder and have Been pleased with the ballistic link to my kestrel AB elite unit. The ballistic solution is right on out to as far as I can shoot. I wish the Bluetooth automatically connected the kestrel to the binos but you have to make sure they are connected every time you turn on the kestrel. If you are okay being limited to 800yds for your ballistic solution then the binos actually work fantastic on their own.

Last edited:

Ohearchai

FNG
I have the sig 3000's, good lrf, links to the kestrel well, decent optically. Added a few aftermarket scope caps. Binos have a built in ballistic calculator, works to about 850, handy to have, seems to be close to my kestrel 5700, taken it out to 750 and it was spot on, handy feature in it.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The Sigs apparently have glass comparable to Vortex Vipers. I briefly considered selling my Zeiss Conquest HDs and bying the Sig Kilo 3000s. However, I like the conquest glass beter than Vortex Razors I have used, decided I would rather just deal with a separate piece of gear as I don't have the money for anything better than the Kilo 3000.

From the research I did, the Kilo 3000 sounds like the best option if you cannot spend $2k plus.

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
Would I not see critter with sig that I would see with lecia?

Never owned high end optics......leupold is most everything I run.

rootacres

WKR
IMO the Vortex Fury's are a great piece of kit for the price. If budget is a factor, for me spending the $$$ on the Leica or Swaro's didn't make sense, it frees up some cash to add other pieces of gear.

On my last hunt I got to sit down with my Furys and my guides Swaro EL ranges both in 10x42. While I was messing with them, without me saying a word my guide turned to me and said "they both are awesome, you won't notice a difference until you look into the sun. Optic clarity into the sun is where the Swaro's are best".

I haven't noticed a large enough difference to justify the cost. If I lived out west and/or spent weeks in the backcountry or was a guide then my opinion would probably change.

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
IMO the Vortex Fury's are a great piece of kit for the price. If budget is a factor, for me spending the $$$ on the Leica or Swaro's didn't make sense, it frees up some cash to add other pieces of gear.

On my last hunt I got to sit down with my Furys and my guides Swaro EL ranges both in 10x42. While I was messing with them, without me saying a word my guide turned to me and said "they both are awesome, you won't notice a difference until you look into the sun. Optic clarity into the sun is where the Swaro's are best".

I haven't noticed a large enough difference to justify the cost. If I lived out west and/or spent weeks in the backcountry or was a guide then my opinion would probably change.

Read about a few issues with the fury’s in the cold (near freezing or freezing temps), not ranging or the display not working. Any issues you observed?

rootacres

WKR
Read about a few issues with the fury’s in the cold (near freezing or freezing temps), not ranging or the display not working. Any issues you observed?

That is not something I have experienced. I have used them at slightly above freezing quite a bit and below freezing a few times. I have the older Fury’s and my dad has the updated version. Neither of us have run into that issue thus far.

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
Save your money and get the Leica. You won’t regret it.

Figured that.....but if I never look through the lecia’s would I be disappointed with sig or vortex?

Why isn’t leupold in this game?

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
Buy what makes you happy! A buddy brought a set of swaro el ranges, after using them I wanted to toss my vortex (diamondbacks) out the blind.

Yeah, I can see that happening for sure. I don’t have anywhere around me that carries all brands, hell, any of em, so I’m buying blind. We’ll see

I just bought the Sig Sauer Kilo3000, Sportmans has them on sale today for $850. While I would have loved to splurge on Leica or Zeiss, it just isn't in the cards and the Sig's should still be a big improvement from my current Bushnell Binos and RF.

Cornholeo

FNG
You can find the Leicas on sale as demo units if you look and can save 100's! Euro Optic is a great place to look. I bought my son a set of Fury's and they are nice but they are not Leicas. For me I waited an extra year, saved some cash and looked hard for demo units. Good luck!

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor

When you run into issues with ranging at extremely cold temps it usually is a battery issue. The battery will freeze up and fail way before the optical and ranging systems will. Keeping the unit as warm as possible will help with this.

I had Leica HD Bs for one season. Optical clarity was great but they didn’t work when it was cold and I needed them.
I had Vortex Fury’s for one hunt. Thank god I brought my 30 year old Swarovski 7x30’s which saved the day when I couldn’t find what my son was looking at with the Vortex.

I was going to buy Swarovski EL range until a friend gave me honest feedback about cold weather failures, plus 33 yard minimum range which eliminated them for bow hunting.

So far everyone I’ve talked to with the newer Zeiss Model is pleased with all aspects of optics, ergonomics and functionality. I’ve asked Mrs. Claus for them this year.