Ranging Antelope...help

Two questions...

Does anyone have suggestions for ranging Antelope at long distances in flat terrain? Yes, I understand ranging bushes and any close variations in topography, but I am talking flat-flat land.

Is there a range finder that works better than most in these situations?

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
I did okay with a Leupold 1200 when I went. Was good for about 600 yards on an antelope or deer.

Start slightly over there back and scan down until it picks them up.
Unfortunately you need the beam to hit them and bounce back to the sensor that is usually lower then your eye.
So clear out the veg under where you are looking to.
Try operating the rangefinder upside down so the lense is higher then you eye.

Freeride

FNG
Leica, even the older models are amazing. I have a crf1000 and it ranges deer, antelope to 1000.

I usually try to range just beside them to get a bigger target of the ground or bush then their bodies. Of possible, super flat you can put on the scan mode and scan down onto them as stated above.

And take several readings.

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
Start slightly over there back and scan down until it picks them up.
Unfortunately you need the beam to hit them and bounce back to the sensor that is usually lower then your eye.
So clear out the veg under where you are looking to.
Try operating the rangefinder upside down so the lense is higher then you eye.
This seems to work best for me really for any target I am unsure of. Scan mode, move across the target.

My Maven RF.1 works just fine for this.

Jimss

WKR
Do yourself a favor....don't invest in both expensive binos plus rangefinder. Invest in a Leica bino-rangefinder combo! I've hunted antelope for 50 years and by far the Leica combo is literally amazing for antelope. No more need for carrying both and missing out on shot opportunities going back and forth between binos and rangefinder. It only takes a matter of less than 1 second to get a great reading through my binos. The other nice thing is that you can customize for your particular rifle caliber and load.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a Revic br4 and it’s the only rangefinder I’ve used in the past 15 years (to include a BR2) that will consistently and immediately will range an antelope in the middle of the day on the wide open prairie.

It’s a steal at 1,200 and you won’t be saddled to a $3,000 range finding bino when the technology is twice as good 3 years from now.