Ranging Binos or Binos plus a Rangefinder?

zog

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for experiences / comments - have you gone to to ranging binos and back to just binos plus rangefinder? Or who has kept the ranging binos and not looked back?

Seems like you have to sacrifice a little optic quality (light, FOV?) to get ranging options even in the higher end.

OP
zog

zog

Lil-Rokslider
Tons of threads on this - the search function will kick out numerous results. For rifle hunting/shooting, RF binos with integrated ballistics is the way to go.

The FoV is big in the HD-B’s, and the laser is in the hinge. No way I’d go back to separate units. Even on a budget, I’d take the Sig 3000’s for ~$800.
Yes I did search, but threads that kick out all seem to be about which brand is best and most effective, not so much whether people are happy with their decision to go with rang-ers after using them. I'll try to search with different words..

Thanks for your answer.

Last edited:

handwerk

WKR
I have been using Geovids for over 10 years and at times worried about warranty issues and/or optical quality, I've had swarovision in both 8.5 and 10's , serveral SLC versions as well as Ultravids and gasp, even the new NL pure 10x42's. I have compared them all to my 2016 Geovids and the very small optical gain has never been worth it for my use, being a rifle hunter the Geovids always ended up being the ones I use.

Wapiti1

WKR
For general glassing and rifle hunting, I use Geovids. No reason not to. I've used all of the top end glass while hunting except the NL Pure. I'll keep my Geovid HD-B's.

For archery, I use only a rangefinder, and rarely carry binocs.

Jeremy

Reactions: zog

HuntnPack

WKR
I tried a pair of ranging binos & ended up going back to binos & rangefinder. It works better for my hunting requirements,

I have mulled this over huge in the last while here as I am in the market but holding out for a little bit in terms of an Update.

Still hunting and closer range stuff (archery style) Separate units. I run 8.5 ELs
Mountain hunts for BC here, 10x RF Binos

Just personal preference. I'm not a one and done kinda guy. I like options.

Rghunter2

FNG
I prefer two units. Used a set of Swarovski range finding binos and and I prefer my regular Swaros and a rangefinder. Not sure of the weight difference but the non rangefinding binos are more comfortable for longer periods.

amo16

FNG
I much prefer 2 separate units. For rifle season, when I'm glassing extensively it's nice to have the absolute best glass possible. During archery season, you usually need to be able to range with 1 hand.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Looking for experiences / comments - have you gone to to ranging binos and back to just binos plus rangefinder? Or who has kept the ranging binos and not looked back?

Seems like you have to sacrifice a little optic quality (light, FOV?) to get ranging options even in the higher end.
Great question! It will depend a lot on personal preference. The minimalist mindset would lead people to the rangefinding binos as they will combine 2 units into 1 saving space. If your main concern is optical quality in each you would better off going with the two separate units.

OP
zog

zog

Lil-Rokslider
Great question! It will depend a lot on personal preference. The minimalist mindset would lead people to the rangefinding binos as they will combine 2 units into 1 saving space. If your main concern is optical quality in each you would better off going with the two separate units.
:unsure:
Yeah, but maybe minimalist is to use lighter weight, dedicated best glass for glassing and not pull out the rangefinder until you have something to range.

Fun discussion - first world problems, huh!

Last edited:

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
:unsure:
Yeah, but maybe minimalist is to use lighter weight, dedicated best glass for glassing and not pull out the rangefinder until you have something to range.

Fun discussion - first world problems, huh!
True - however, weight is pretty negligible. For example, if you compared our Fury HD 5000 (32.5 oz) to comparable binos, Viper HD 10x42 (24.9 oz) and a Razor HD 4000 rangefinder (9.9 oz) you are looking at about the same weight; the latter option would actually be heavier going with the two optic setup.

JGRaider

WKR
True - however, weight is pretty negligible. For example, if you compared our Fury HD 5000 (32.5 oz) to comparable binos, Viper HD 10x42 (24.9 oz) and a Razor HD 4000 rangefinder (9.9 oz) you are looking at about the same weight; the latter option would actually be heavier going with the two optic setup.

Your Fury HD 5000's need better glass, and possibly a ballistic feature to set them apart from the Laserforce and BDX3000, IMO. That's the only reasons I don't own one.

amo16

FNG
I think his point is that you are using a lighter bino for extended glassing than if you have a combined unit.

Having a razor 12x50/razor 4000 combo and having tried my buddies sig 3000, I won't be jumping for a combo unit anytime soon. I have had the chance to look thru a set of swaro EL ranges, but giving up higher magnification on the binos isn't worth it to me.

I also felt like the sig 3000 was bulkier and heavier and when I looked at the spec sheets, it was only like 3oz lol.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Your Fury HD 5000's need better glass, and possibly a ballistic feature to set them apart from the Laserforce and BDX3000, IMO. That's the only reasons I don't own one.
I can't go into any details just yet, but hang tight ;)

bozeman

WKR
I've chosen to keep mine separate to this point. I like the combo units, but 'if' the rangefinder capability goes out, then you are out both bino and rangefinder.....with separate units, you spread the risk.....just my thought process for the time being.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I've chosen to keep mine separate to this point. I like the combo units, but 'if' the rangefinder capability goes out, then you are out both bino and rangefinder.....with separate units, you spread the risk.....just my thought process for the time being.
Valid concern, however I just wanted to clarify some things! If the rangefinder stopped working, let's say the battery died, the binoculars would just work as regular binoculars. You wouldn't be out both. Even if you don't turn the ranging function on you can use them as just a normal set of binos.

I just got my Kilo3000BDX in, it's pretty cool. Replaced an older Bushnell 10x42 that I didn't realize was so bad until looking through the Sig's, and the built in RF is killer. Now I am regretting not getting a scope with MOA hashes to get full use out of the binos.

Measured Weight:
Sig Kilo3000 32.5oz
Bushness Sportman 10x42 21oz
Bushnell Arc1000 RF 7.2oz