Ranging Elk For Archery

This may be a pretty obvious answer I’m overthinking but how do you range elk for a bow shot? Do you a) range when you get set to where you think your shot opportunities might be b) range the elk itself when it’s where your shot will be c) just try and get good with understanding yardage on the fly. I am a mix of a and c with turkeys and a and b with whitetails from a stand. What is y’all’s go to? I’m worried my unfamiliarity with elk size up close would through c off to much and b could be too much unneeded movement.

StillBald

FNG
I generally range a handful of unique features as I get settled in-- then look where his feet are and figure out how far away he is. So "He's standing a little further out than that rock at 23 yards, but well short of that spruce at 36 yards... so, he's probably about 27 yards".

Key thing for me is to range unique things. Trying to remember the yardages for 3 different willow trees is a pain-- but a stump, rock, trail, and thick aspen? My mind is better at remembering yardages for each. That, and I look at his feet because going off the body can be deceptive when you've grown up hunting whitetail-- elk are just some large critters.

cnelk

WKR
I’ve found that rarely I can shoot further than 30yds when hunting thick stuff.
That makes it easy.

When it’s more open is when I range objects that elk will hopefully pass by.

OP
WilliamDale
I generally range a handful of unique features as I get settled in-- then look where his feet are and figure out how far away he is. So "He's standing a little further out than that rock at 23 yards, but well short of that spruce at 36 yards... so, he's probably about 27 yards".

Key thing for me is to range unique things. Trying to remember the yardages for 3 different willow trees is a pain-- but a stump, rock, trail, and thick aspen? My mind is better at remembering yardages for each. That, and I look at his feet because going off the body can be deceptive when you've grown up hunting whitetail-- elk are just some large critters.
That’s what I normally do for whitetail/turkey except instead of willows I avoid pines.

Looking at the feet is a great idea to get a better sense of where he actually is!

brimow

Lil-Rokslider
Love the feet suggestion, honestly in many years have not considered that! Will steal that for this year. If I am setting up and calling I will range different objects like mentioned around me to get the overall concept of distance. ie.. the backside of the meadow is 70yards front side is 15, rotten log in middle is 40. I have a single pin sight that I set and shoot the same from a few feet to 40 yards. If I feel I have the time and can spare the movement I try to range an elk if I feel it is over 30 yards. This could be a cow, calf, or other bull as they are moving thru. If my gut tells me it is further then I NOW range what I want to shoot because I have had a blown opportunity in my past. Field judging bulls outside of 30 yards can get very difficult really quick. Body size, slope, and background really shift perspective.

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with all three replies so far. Keep in mind that shots beyond 60, which I practice and recommend all hunting out west do, the arrow arcs a lot. So, it had better be pretty clear between you and the target.

Also, if you haven’t hunted in elk country much, I wouldn’t recommend C because you mr yardage estimation is likely to be quite inaccurate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mostly a, c if I have to but typically only if they are close, less than 30yd. I’ll range a few things every time I stop, to rest, call, whatever, as a matter of routine just in case. Once an elk is in bow range I don’t want to be messing around with extra movement ranging and not getting a shot.

ia bhtr

FNG
1st timer here as well , this is what I am setting up for and hope my " thinking " is good : I set my top pin at 30 yards ( mbg 3 pin slider ) , shooting at an nfaa single spot my arrow hits in the 4 ring from point blank to 33 yards , 2nd pin works to 33/42 , bottom pin is my go to pin if I have to move past that , altho , with old eyes , I am putting a self imposed limit of 40 yards on my shot , if I get one

I have been practicing on a 3d elk target to help with some of the issues that have been posted above , I will be ranging particular objects in my shooting lanes provided I have time to do so , if I dont , the above paragraph comes into play ............... and as said , 1st timer here as well so hope my thinking will work , Best of Luck to you on your hunt >>------> !! <------<<

IdahoN8v

FNG
I range features in shooting lanes and keep my range finder handy in case I need to snap a quick range of an animal. If you have enough people to make it work, my hunting group has had great luck with having a person with a range finder "shadow" the shooter. This person's only job is to range the animal and update the shooter. This works particularly well with new shooters because it allows them to put all their focus on making the shot instead of estimating ranges and angles or fumbling with a range finder.

If I have time, I range objects. If I have time I will range the animal which rarely has happened for me. As cnelk mentioned, if you are in the thick stuff, it’s so up close and personal, and happens so fast, you shouldn’t need a range finder.

Broadhead

FNG
All great responses above. The answer is so situationally dependent that it's good to have multiple tools in your toolbelt. I rely on A the most, but elk rarely (read never) walk to the exact spot you ranged. Being able to adapt A with the thought process of C will prove the most beneficial. In the moment, this is harder than you expect! Looking at the feet is something I've never considered, but will try this year.

OP
WilliamDale

StillBald you seem to win the best advice award with looking at the feet recommendation. I think that will even translate well with big whitetails that have lots of headwear!

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
Here's a cheap product that I think is worthwhile in times that you can't fumble between rangefinder and bow.