Rank Pack Smell

I recently bought a used Exo pack from a member on here and while the pack nearly looks unused and has no stains, it smells like a rotting animal. I can't even keep it in the house. I've tried washing it and soaking it in various mixtures of baking soda, Borax, and laundry detergent with no luck. I'm not sure what the smell is from but it soaks into anything it touches- my hand smelt like it all day after pushing the pack around in the water, even after washing my hands multiple times with dish soap. Obviously I need some help getting the smell out, but would really like to do so in a way that doesn't harm the materials as I'd like to resell and purchase a SO pack, which was the plan all along as I just needed this pack to get me through this spring season due to lead times at SO. Any recommendations on a cleaner to try that won't harm the materials in the pack?

EastMT

WKR
I soaked on old pack that I didn’t clean for a couple weeks after being bloody in a big Rubbermaid and vinegar/water mixture overnight. Rinsed it off well after and it was fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might try putting in a Rubbermaid with a bunch of charcoal briquettes. I saved a Yeti cooler that way after trying my other tricks.

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
If you have a ozonics you can put it in a Rubbermaid with the pack turned on and itll help remove the smell.

Soak in cold water and dish soap over night, give it a good scrub with a stiff brush then rinse and dry. Made my exo look and smell brand new before I sold it last year.

I just soaked my sour smelling gym sweatshirt in a vinegar/water and some oxi clean mix and it seems to have done the trick.
You should also be able to break the pack down and run at least the bag thru the washing machine.

+1 on the Ozone generator.
I use a home version, a lot cheaper and better than a compact unit like the Ozonics type units.
I usually dedicate a closet or spare bedroom for purpose, set the timer and walk away.

Ozone generator

Tod osier

WKR
I recently bought a used Exo pack from a member on here and while the pack nearly looks unused and has no stains, it smells like a rotting animal. I can't even keep it in the house. I've tried washing it and soaking it in various mixtures of baking soda, Borax, and laundry detergent with no luck. I'm not sure what the smell is from but it soaks into anything it touches- my hand smelt like it all day after pushing the pack around in the water, even after washing my hands multiple times with dish soap. Obviously I need some help getting the smell out, but would really like to do so in a way that doesn't harm the materials as I'd like to resell and purchase a SO pack, which was the plan all along as I just needed this pack to get me through this spring season due to lead times at SO. Any recommendations on a cleaner to try that won't harm the materials in the pack?

Is the fabric urethane coated? When the coating breaks down with time the scent is sometimes described as urine or vomit, but always as strong and stinky. Do a search, I read some on it a while back and the consensus online seemed like it was a terminal condition.

OP
T
Sounds like I need to soak it in vinegar. Will that fade the camo print very much? The ozone generator might be a good thing to do after that but I feel like there must be some kind of oils in the pack causing this that need to be pulled out. It's disgusting.

It's not the urethane coating. This smell is throughout the entirety of the pack.

Don't underestimate the Ozone generator. It works at the molecular level.
If it were me, I'd put in in a closet with a small fan to increase air circulation, set the Ozone to run for an hour, repeat for a few days.

OP
T
It literally cannot go inside the house any more. I can't get the smell out of the room I set it in the other day to dry on one of my attempts to get rid of the scent. Do they make a generator small enough to set up in a tote or a large cardboard box?

Man, this was my worst attempt to save $100 to date

Aaron Warpony

Lil-Rokslider

OP
T
Awesome. If vinegar doesn't cut it I'll try that and then go to the ozone. Thanks for the help everyone.

I read that last night but missed the enzymatic cleaner. Gonna have to try that

Firehawk

WKR
This stuff does wonders.

You could buy a small tub and open it up in the rubbermaid container with your pack. Seal it off for a few days and I bet it would make a significant difference.

My buddy used it to remove the cigarette stank from a pair of binoculars we had picked up used. Man they reaked of heavy dirty smoke. He opened the container in a tupperware and set the binos in the same container and sealed it off. Two days and the binos smelled brand new. Worth a try anyway.

This stuff does wonders.

You could buy a small tub and open it up in the rubbermaid container with your pack. Seal it off for a few days and I bet it would make a significant difference.

My buddy used it to remove the cigarette stank from a pair of binoculars we had picked up used. Man they reaked of heavy dirty smoke. He opened the container in a tupperware and set the binos in the same container and sealed it off. Two days and the binos smelled brand new. Worth a try anyway.
One of the worse smells, Id take a gut pile smell before smokes lol