Rapid City hotel

jmez

WKR
I work right behind Phil Town in Sturgis. It is a dump. Half the building is literally falling down. Good ol boys network in Sturgis is trying to get it condemned and torn down to put in a new street that will be about 200 yards long and go nowhere.

Owner can't get it sold so that is their plan so he can cash it out.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

OP
Go West Old Man
My cousin is an event planner at Alex Johnson. Nice place. No idea on prices but it does get you downtown which is kind of cool. Like runningwater said, may not fit the bill but it is a Rapid City Landmark. There is also a decent gun shop not far from there. Don't overlook Sturgis or Spearfish. I'm a Sturgis native, but not much there other than Phil Town and a couple of chain hotels although Hotel Sturgis is downtown and is kind of Swanky. High school classmate runs it. Spearfish has a cool vibe. Just don't do Labor day weekend as there is a huge mountain bike race in town. Sturgis also has a big Ford Mustang rally on labor day weekend.
Thanks. Our travels will be towards the end of the month. Way more to see and experience than we could ever do in just a week so we’re splitting the week. First several days in WY and then move back towards the Custer , Mt. Rushmore, Keystone area for the last few days to be fairly close to RC Regional the last day to fly home. Gonna be a tourist! 😊

Last edited:
OP
Go West Old Man
A comment on the many & various chain hotel rates I am seeing in the Rapid City area…., I’m a little surprised that rates are notably higher than I would have imagined, and the middle average $/night seems to be $150 to almost $180’ish. This absolutely has to be tied to the current inflation problem. Ridiculous.

We always stay in Holiday Inn Expresses if possible. Always nice and free breakfast. If you want to drive a 45 minutes, head into Deadwood and stay at the Deadwood Mountain Grand. My family loves Deadwood. Old West type town that is small and you can do a little gambling while you are there. It is just a cool place. All my kids love it.

I work right behind Phil Town in Sturgis. It is a dump. Half the building is literally falling down. Good ol boys network in Sturgis is trying to get it condemned and torn down to put in a new street that will be about 200 yards long and go nowhere.

Owner can't get it sold so that is their plan so he can cash it out.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
Didn't know you worked in Sturgis. My OLD stomping grounds. I haven't been in that place since HS in the 80's. Sad to hear it's in bad shape, but at least the brewery is close.....lol. You are only a hop, skip and a jump from my parent's place.

Thanks. Our travels will be towards the end of the month. Way more to see and experience than we could ever do in just a week so we’re splitting the week. First several days in WY and then move back towards the Custer , Mt. Rushmore, Keystone area for the last few days to be fairly close to RC Regional the last day to fly home. Gonna be a tourist! 😊
Need to be in the elk woods...lol. Have fun on vacation! Lots of good bulls roaming around. Custer State Park and Wind Cave NP will be your best bets to be touristy.

A comment on the many & various chain hotel rates I am seeing in the Rapid City area…., I’m a little surprised that rates are notably higher than I would have imagined, and the middle average $/night seems to be $150 to almost $180’ish. This absolutely has to be tied to the current inflation problem. Ridiculous.
We stayed at a hotel in Watertown (NE SD) last month and it was close to $200 per night, and nothing really crazy going on there in the summer. I think it is just symptomatic of the times.

OP
Go West Old Man
Need to be in the elk woods...lol. Have fun on vacation! Lots of good bulls roaming around. Custer State Park and Wind Cave NP will be your best bets to be touristy.
I’m not saying one way or the other so I can plead the 5th to my wife, but this trip also just might be a covert “recon mission” for 2023. LOL 😁

Last edited: