Rattlesnakes in October in Wyoming

locofife

FNG
I've hunted in Wyoming in the fall quite a bit and have never seen one. With that being said, I know they're around. Just be smart about things and keep your head on a swivel and you should be just fine.

didn’t see a single one mid october last year. then again there was snow on the ground already.

smccardell

Lil-Rokslider
Great something else I need to plan for now... I wasn't even thinking about snakes and now I am going to have to figure it out for my son and I. Thanks for the heads up!

magedon44

FNG
I am currently planning an Antelope hunt in the middle of Wyoming in mid October. I know Ive heard guys say they are everywhere out there, but even in mid October? I could imagine August and September but not sure when you stop seeing them.

I HATE snakes. They aren't going to stop me from hunting. Just want to know if I need chaps or snake boots to make me a little ore comfortable.
Ive never seen one in Wyo

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like you would be on guard for snakes anywhere-just watch where you reach and walk. I live in South Carolina and I have seen snakes almost year round especially in mulch or areas that create warmth in cooler weather. I've been in Wy several times and never had a close encounter in summer or fall.

Common sense and awareness are always best practice

toasty

FNG
I have hunted WY for years in sep and oct and never seen one. The most likely place you will find them is near springs and seeps where there are lots of rodents.

Ebruce

FNG
Have been to WY 2 years in a row first couple weeks of Oct and still haven't seen one. Now we also stay away from rocky outcrops and such, if it looks snaky it prob is

rfertig

FNG
I've been hunting antelope in WY for almost 30 years--zero snakes so far. During the summer I've seen snakes, but haven't come across any during my hunts in southcentral, southeast, and northeast WY.

bmf0713

WKR
Being from Iowa I was nervous about rattle snakes too. After antelope hunting the last few years in October I am no longer nervous. That being said I'll give you a hell of a deal on a pair of snake gaiters I bought the first year I went and never used. Haha. I did almost step on a bullsnake last year and it scared the shit out me!

CKWY97

FNG
There may be some out, dependent on how warm it is. That late in the season, the temps are usually to the point where even if you do come across a snake they'll be pretty sluggish. I damn near stepped on one in a prairie dog town a few years back (in late September). It was something like 50 degrees out and overcast. I jumped (I am not a big fan of snakes), but the snake was so cold it could barely move. Bottom line is I wouldn't be too worried about snakes in October. Chaps/boots are not necessary.

bb1379

FNG
I am currently planning an Antelope hunt in the middle of Wyoming in mid October. I know Ive heard guys say they are everywhere out there, but even in mid October? I could imagine August and September but not sure when you stop seeing them.

I HATE snakes. They aren't going to stop me from hunting. Just want to know if I need chaps or snake boots to make me a little ore comfortable.

Never seen one

BuzzH

WKR
Got an elk quarter back to my truck in Central Wyoming and this guy was waiting in the shade of the drivers side door:

0901171646a.jpg

Was a good snake, let me know he was there and moved along.

Got an elk quarter back to my truck in Central Wyoming and this guy was waiting in the shade of the drivers side door:

0901171646a.jpg

Was a good snake, let me know he was there and moved along.
Damn! That's looks like a big boy right there, Buzz. It would sure spook me if I was caught off guard in close quarters and didn't know he was there.

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
10-2-18 i got struck on bottom of boot by a huge prairie rattler prolly 3.5' long, i was on the side of a tall butte where i had stood glassing for a couple mins. Turned to hop back over other side of butte and second step just as soon as my foot was going down i heard him rattle, i jumped and kicked at same time just out of reflex and he struck bottom of my boot as i kicked him and when i looked over he was trying to roll back over and i left him be. My buddy was hunting w/me same spot the next morning, had him setup near there and advised there was rattler there and of course he spots a nice buck, literally belly crawled within 20 feet of where he was to shoot my buck. It was warm that evening prolly 50-60 and he was laying on west side of butte in gravel in sun. We also ran over a small one and saw another ran over in area, somebody in our group sees one every year, hunting north of douglas bout an hour.

Depends on the temps! They like to come out and sun on the rocks. Never had any issues with them, have always heard them and been able to spot them first. I wouldn’t loose any sleep over it:

Carr5vols

WKR
Was hunting around Buffalo last year second week of antelope and we got on two in the first hour once we got there that afternoon. They were in an abandoned prairie dog town. They were right on the mounds. Had one of the kids in my avatar almost step on one. They were not aggressive at all ( unlike the easterns here in Georgia) after that it snowed on us multiple days and never seen another one. Good luck on your hunt.