Rattlesnakes in October in Wyoming

I was bit on the hand when I was 11. It was my own damn fault. But I made it and didn’t get meds until 6 hours after the bite due to the hospital wanting confirmation before treatment.This was back in 93 so I’m not sure how prepared they were. I was certain it was one having grown up around them - I mentioned that it didn’t have buttons yet and they were extremely hesitant to treat until they could see the snake themselves. They were aware that we had killed the snake immediately after and my older brother tossed it in a dumpster. Sometimes more knowledge doesn’t help. Also had extremely bad advice and applied ice almost immediately.

I guess my point is I wouldn’t worry about it. I still encounter them yearly. They almost always let you know unless you catch them off guard, and as an outdoors person, it should be easy to identify those possibilities and maybe give them a heads up. They don’t want to be near you, usually. I’ve had skunks that scare me more. Usually that time of year they’re a little slow anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have hunting out in Wyoming most of my life and in mid October they are around but very very hard to find. Most of them are going to be in there holes already but I have seen them as late as November 1st. But they are not there to bit everything that comes by and will leave you alone. I have had a few come by me on a stock but they always raddle and then run away.

One of my close encounters was in October on a fairly cool day while walking the Custer battlefield. The little so and so was right in the middle of the path through the rifle pits up on Weir Ridge. When it gets cooler they are less active and less likely to get out of your waybefore you get to em. I worry about the dogs more in the spring and fall than I do in the summer.

Hadnt seen any the last 2 years in eastern wyoming in early october. Im sure they are there, but it seems like there are more people that never seen them, than people that do.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
Most rattlesnake bites are a result of some combination of "The Three Ts":

Teenage
Testosterone
Tequila

Most bites occur on the hands because the overwhelming amount of rattlesnake bites come from folks messing with them (demographically usually drunk young men). I've caught a lot of rattlesnakes for work in order to insert radio tags into them and track their dispersal from hibernacula. It is pretty surprising how much you have to antagonize them before they get defensive.

That's not to say that someone couldn't just get very unlucky, but with boots, carharrts, and alert eyes and ears the odds are overwhelmingly in your favor.

Nick87

Lil-Rokslider
I'm petrified of snakes. That being said last year in southern wy at 6500 ft in Oct I ran across one. Two days prior to that there was 6" of snow on the ground. Just be aware but definitely don't let it scare you or ruin your hunt.

Charon

Lil-Rokslider
Got a pair of Justin snake boots at the outlet store for 149.00. They weren't imperfections. I ordered them from the warehouse because they didn't have my size in the store.

Been wearing them for two weeks now to break them in and they are comfortable and convenient. Easy on, easy off. When the time comes to test them out I know that they will be bullet proof.

The only reason I got these was for the high tops with walking heels. Regular leather cowboy boots will protect from snake bites but finding high top cowboy boots with walking heels is near impossible.

Brooks

WKR
I’ve run into them in October several times in WY. If it is a nice sunny day they like to stretch out across a road for the warm sun, dirt or blacktop. I live at 7500 feet and see them up here at this elevation every year so don’t think just because your in high elevation they won’t be there.

I ran into about 6 one morning in late September in steamboat Colorado all within a a few hundred yards of each other. Didn't like it one bit!

nphunter

WKR
I hunt in a major rattle snake area and only typically wear my good leather boots. Sometimes I’ll toss on a pair of Sitka Gaters too but that’s more for burrs than snakes.

nphunter

WKR
I’ve been belly crawling shoeless after mule deer in snake country more than once. It’s always a scary walk back to my boots. I always forget I’m in snake country in the heat of the moment.

nphunter

WKR
Two years ago my buddy about freaked when I stepped right over a rattler on a rainy day against some cliffs while stalking a bull:)

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
I got bit in eastern Colorado on a November duck hunt about 10 years ago. Weather plays more into it than time of year.

neffa3

FNG
We camped in some fairly rocky areas in NE wyoming last Oct. It was warm (upper 60s to mid 70s) but we didn't hear or see any.