Rattling for elk

J78

FNG
I was wondering if anyone was ever tried rattling along with vocal calling elk during the rut? I’m from south Texas and we have great success here with rattling whitetails during the rut. I am heading to Wyoming next week for my first archery elk hunt. Trying to think outside the box a bit. Hunting public land on a general tag I’m slightly concerned that the elk may have heard every call out there and be pretty shy of traditional calling. No way I am carrying elk sheds up and down the mountains, but would consider a rattle bag or my whitetail rattle horns I use here at home. One concern I have is here in Texas very regularly get coyotes coming into the sound of the fight looking for a chance at an easy meal. Not to excited about the idea of Grizzly running into my rattling sequence. Any thoughts, opinions or stories related to this?

I’ve sat in RMNP and watched them fight a fair bit and it definitely makes a different noise than white tails rattling you hear the grunting and scuffing more than the antlers. Not sure if that matters or not.

I don’t think I’ve ever experienced them vocalizing and fighting at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
Not even slightly worth it. Elk fighting sounds like trees crashing into one another. No grown man (or even two at that point) could even come close to replicating the sound. You'd pass out from exhaustion even trying.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

norsepeak

Lil-Rokslider
I use rattling quite often with great success. I use shed antlers mixed with calling, but over the last 10 years of experimenting with it, I've determined the right amount of calling and type versus the right amount and type of rattling. It's a very specific sequence that works for us, but we've had a lot of success with it.

Brendan

WKR
I've never rattled, but Raking Trees: Yes. I've brought in bulls many times doing that. Get the biggest tree branch you can wield effectively (Think Heavy Baseball Bat or Bigger) and go to Town on a sapling sized tree. Make a ruckus, throw in some calls, stamp and paw up the ground. It works...