Raven Air Bankruptcy

I see Ravn Air filed for bankruptcy and shut down. Anybody familiar with Alaska have any thoughts on what it means and what happens next and what’s going on up there? More of a curiosity/talking point than anything. We tabled the plans we had with everything going on, but I’m curious if this impacts anyone on here.

Do you have a link to the bankruptcy info? All I’ve seen and heard from the news and Ravn pilots is that they temporarily stopped operations because there wasn’t any revenue. But news happens fast.

I think they have just shut down for the time being. When this corona deal is over they fire back up and start right where they left off.

MattB

WKR
On my trips to Kodiak, the commentary I heard from the locals on Raven was enough to cause me never to fly them. Their service seemed very spotty in comparison to Alaska Air.

EastMT

WKR
5f5b2d58f7c6f84f7e542ece53e88799.jpg

Alaskapublic.org

HuntNTag

WKR
On my trips to Kodiak, the commentary I heard from the locals on Raven was enough to cause me never to fly them. Their service seemed very spotty in comparison to Alaska Air.

They were terrible. I just got back from mekoryuk on Nunivak Island and the airline was a hot mess. The flights would never be on time, there was no communication and the staff were just flying by the seat of their pants.

The issue is that nobody else is flying to certain villages. I just read a report that the mayor is seizing all assets to continue flying into villages at this point in time from them.

For a long time, Ravn was the only airline taking off East-West. It was very common for Ravn to be flying several flights a day while AK Air wouldn’t be able to get in. Now they lost that advantage and just seemed to give up.
They were terrible. I just got back from mekoryuk on Nunivak Island and the airline was a hot mess. The flights would never be on time, there was no communication and the staff were just flying by the seat of their pants.

The issue is that nobody else is flying to certain villages. I just read a report that the mayor is seizing all assets to continue flying into villages at this point in time from them.
You must not travel in the villages much. You won’t find an airline that’s much better (not saying it’s good). PennAir you would still be there waiting for your bags. Or you could fly there with Yute and die. Or Grant.....

I can’t believe I’m actually sticking up for Ravn. I’ve flown with em probably close to a hundred times. It is what it is when you fly in the villages. You fly with some of the others and REALLY learn not to expect much. The longest they’ve left me stranded was 10 days on Barter Island. However, the bottom line is that this isn’t good for AK!

NUGGET

WKR
For a long time, Ravn was the only airline taking off East-West. It was very common for Ravn to be flying several flights a day while AK Air wouldn’t be able to get in. Now they lost that advantage and just seemed to give up.

You must not travel in the villages much. You won’t find an airline that’s much better (not saying it’s good). PennAir you would still be there waiting for your bags. Or you could fly there with Yute and die. Or Grant.....

I can’t believe I’m actually sticking up for Ravn. I’ve flown with em probably close to a hundred times. It is what it is when you fly in the villages. You fly with some of the others and REALLY learn not to expect much. The longest they’ve left me stranded was 10 days on Barter Island. However, the bottom line is that this isn’t good for AK!
I imagine they will just go through another rebranding like they did when they were Era. They are a terrible outfit and was circling the drain (again) before this covid 19 crap. Someone will step up no doubt.

I didn't hold out much hope for them when they bought out When Air. They did go down hill fast. In fact- they actually made me wish When Air was still around.

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
Being a provider of capital to the major airlines, I can tell you it will be a long shot if they emerge from BK......so if you paid them by Credit Card, file a claim with your CC provider immediately and you will likely be fine.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
This a blow to all the communities in western AK. RAVN customer service and operations has been on a steady decline for a couple years. No matter how bad they had gotten they were still a vital carrier for mail and goods into the villages. This leaves a big hole to fill. I'd like to see Bering Air buy out some their assets and expand.

Going back 20 years or so I learned there is a federal regulation guns fly. If you check a gun, they can bump your other bags, not the gun case. Penn Air (When Air) was so bad with bags I bought a couple of the cheapest revolvers I could find. In one case the locking pistol case was worth more. Just declare it stick it back in your duffel. I don’t think it works if you’re trying to bring six bags, but one or two, guarantees, well almost, your bags will make it.

All I’m saying is from my experience, the vast majority of charter carriers are as bad or worse in western AK. Wright in Fairbanks was alway good to me so hopefully they can step up in interior and NSB flights. And I agree Bering has done a good job in the NW region the couple times I flew with them. I got a good friend with a couple of Beavers in Bethel registered for 135 operations and he’s trying to step up but can’t get ahold of anyone to move forward. Just gets transferred to hold for hours. It’s a disaster from top to bottom!

Penn Air is such a joke they don’t even follow that FAA gun policy. I’ve done it. Well, tried it. Flew a rifle case and two other checked bags each with a pistol several years ago. All three had the “must fly” markings. Gun case arrived and I had to sleep in my transporter’s hanger for 2 days waiting for my other two bags. Hard lesson learned. I filed a complaint with Penn and FAA and never got a reply. And that’s far from my worse experience with them, try getting out of St. Paul Island depending on them morons....

I hear you, Penn air flew a lot of our folks out to King Salmon. Gigantic pain in the ass. Our guests usually made it, bags were a crap shoot. The hand gun thing usually worked IF the trip was booked via Alaska air. Our guests from Anchorage had the most trouble relatively speaking.
But we do need something. When you’re 300 miles from the end of the road shitty service is better then none.

Ravn Air is/now was, terrible to fly with and I'd avoid them at all costs. Sometimes that wasn't possible, now it looks like it won't be an issue. I can't count how many lost bags, late bags, missed flights, canceled flights, late departures, late arrivals, etc. that I've had flying with them.