RavnAir flying to small villages this 2020 moose season

So I received an email a couple weeks back saying my flights have been canceled this September and to re-book. I went to re-book but no flights were available from Anchorage to the village I'm flying in to. No problem getting to Anchorage but RavnAir is supposedly going through bankruptcy. I called Alaskan Air and they said right now they have no flights going to this village (or many others) after August. She couldn't give me any information as she seemed confused with the whole thing herself and said to check back in a month.

Has anybody else heard about this? Does anybody have any insight on what airlines are going to be used? Any info at all???

I'm not too worried but I'm definitely a little worried. I would be completely crushed if we were somehow not able to do this trip this year as I've been planning it for the last 3.5 years.

You may want to contact your transporter and figure out how they plan to get out there, that may help you.

OP
Robinhood21
You may want to contact your transporter and figure out how they plan to get out there, that may help you.

They already live there, I'll fly into their village. They'll pick me up at the airport and will drop me off on a lake with their piper cub

OP
Robinhood21
Nevermind, don't contact them then. They likely won't have any info on how people are getting in and out of their village :)

Sorry didn’t mean to sound like a d-bag. I did contact them and at the moment they don’t know. I just wanted to see if anybody had any info on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You haven't indicated which village either. Someone may know of a few charter options to get you out there. That said, come August, there will be something in place to transport people to and from villages, I am sure. They'll have to have a plan for that.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
The Ravn bankruptcy was announced suddenly, in the midst of the Covid-19 mess. Unfortunately, yeah, we’re still trying to figure it all out. Stay in touch with your transporter, I’m sure they’ll know just as soon as anybody. The villages have a pretty keen interest in who’s providing their air service.

WMR

FNG
We had tickets to fly to Dillingham later this year with Ravn. They became invalid when Ravn went down. I'm unaware that anyone is flying Anchorage to Dillingham now. I imagine someone will pick up this route as there is certainly a demand. I've read that Ravn is to be offered for sale later this month. I'm no expert on bankruptcy, but expect some behind the scenes planning is already being done.

OP
Robinhood21
We had tickets to fly to Dillingham later this year with Ravn. They became invalid when Ravn went down. I'm unaware that anyone is flying Anchorage to Dillingham now. I imagine someone will pick up this route as there is certainly a demand. I've read that Ravn is to be offered for sale later this month. I'm no expert on bankruptcy, but expect some behind the scenes planning is already being done.

Last edited:
There are quite a few other air taxis in Anchorage. Unless some company picked up all the flights and will honor the ticket prices it's going to most likely cost more since the outfits are smaller. Maybe try lake and pen air

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

lake Clark air

AKBorn

WKR
My brother in law runs a salmon boat out of Dillingham, they flew into DLG on Monday on Alaska Air. Guess AK Air just started their flights there...

OP
Robinhood21
My brother in law runs a salmon boat out of Dillingham, they flew into DLG on Monday on Alaska Air. Guess AK Air just started their flights there...

AK Air is picking up the slack right now but at the moment there’s no flight schedule for September. I was told today AK Air is just waiting for a few things to go through before they start scheduling for the fall.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I just have to wonder how hard the OP looked for info, dillingham is not a village, it’s more of a regional hub, there are lots of ways in and out.

OP
Robinhood21
I just have to wonder how hard the OP looked for info, dillingham is not a village, it’s more of a regional hub, there are lots of ways in and out.

That’a why I made this post, I was looking for info

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
As noted (and now perhaps learned by others), Dillingham is indeed a significant regional hub for the Bristol Bay fishery and many surrounding villages.

Travel in and out of Dillingham is essential, as is travel in and out of Bethel...another very significant regional hub for a different region (the YK) with numerous others villages. I just booked my two ANC/BET round-trip flights for two different remote trips out of Bethel this fall...no problems.

Without question there will be flights in/out of regional hubs all year...they are significant and needed markets. However, other questions still remain for those of us with booked hunts, but the answers will be a wait and see reality for each of us...I'm optimistic.

Last edited:
DLG is somewhat of a hub, but the difference between places like BET, Nome, and Kotz is that AK Air has historically stopped flying to DLG Sept 1. Its a larger village, but not much goes through it. Most of the regional villages that direction are either close enough to Anchorage that it’s cheaper to service them directly or they are closer to Bethel or Dutch. I would guess that as of now, AK Air is just going by what they’ve always done and will add flights after Sept 1 if they see enough demand. There should be. Penn Air usually runs a couple flights a day in the offseason and everyone I’ve been on has been full (maybe 30 people).

Fairly certain Grant is still flying into DLG. You may have to go to somewhere like BET or King Salmon first (AK Air historically cuts off King Salmon Sept 1 too) unless they added more options out of Anchorage in the absence of Ravn. Bering was flying into DLG for a while too and would be worth contacting.

I think that your original flight was Penn Air operated by Ravn (Ravn bought them last year). That’s how Ravn/PennAir were operating it the last couple times I was in Bristol Bay. In which case, F that noise. Make sure you ship EVERYTHING but your gun and carryon if they do resume operations.

OP
Robinhood21
Great info guys. I definitely feel better about the situation.
🍻 Cheers to 2020 moose season!!!