Raw almond butter vs roasted almond butter?

*zap*

WKR
Anyone have any thoughts on this? Ingredients in raw is raw almonds and what I have seen with roasted is some other ingredients plus wondering if the roasting process effects the fat content of the butter and how the body can use it.

brsnow

WKR
We do raw and also chocolate with raw. Both are healthy and everyone in the family loves it.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
Anyone have any opinions or knowledge on the difference nutritionally between raw vs roasted almond butter?

outward

FNG
I'm not aware of any difference the roasting process makes for the almond itself, but as you noted many of the common roasted almonds you find at stores/gas stations have less-than-desirable ingredients. Primarily referring to canola oil here. The oil the nut is roasted in is what I'd be most suspicious of. Blue Diamond and other common brands will typically list canola oil in the ingredients. Low quality vegetable oils like canola oil are something I always avoid. Inflammation being the #1 issue, but there are others. When I eat almonds, I always opt for raw unless the roasting method is stated with a quality oil like Avocado, Olive, etc. Then again I can't think of ever seeing an example of this. Stick to raw almonds would be my rec, or roast them yourself and have control if you really prefer the taste.