Raw Wild Meat: you eat it?

OXN939

WKR
We'll bring soy sauce for fresh tuna sashimi offshore sometimes. The salt is supposed to be antimicrobial enough to keep you safe. To the OP's point, ceviche isn't really raw if done properly- the PH of the acid cooks your meat, whether it's conch, fish etc. Really underrated way to do it.

I definitely do my ungulate game rare. Evidently this is pretty safe if it's been frozen.

Bugs suck. SERE school kinda ruined that for me

Marble

WKR
I have not done deer or elk raw but will do it this year.

I have eaten salmon, wahoo, tuna, scallops, oysters, abalone, Bonita, and probably several other fish.

I'll make ceviche this year from deer or elk heart.

Couple years ago I started keeping the tongues. They are delicious!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
Elk Sashimi, it's delicious, I'd put it on par with Horse Sashimi, which ranks as one of my all time favourite dishes.

Black tail carpaccio, it was tasty, but not stellar.

Salmon, rock cod, black cod, Yellow Fin and Blue Fin tuna, Dorado and Lion Fish sashimi, all on the boat. The Lion fish I've also had as carpaccio and ceviche, probably my favourite fish.

I love raw meat, I love Bear meat, but no way in hell am I eating Bear raw.

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
Most ocean fish I’ve eaten sashimi. Tuna, Snapper and wahoo are superb sashimi style.

While not raw I love most meat ceviche.

FYI, you should not eat freshwater fish raw unless they’ve been frozen.

tdot

WKR
I have not done deer or elk raw but will do it this year.

I have eaten salmon, wahoo, tuna, scallops, oysters, abalone, Bonita, and probably several other fish.

I'll make ceviche this year from deer or elk heart.

Couple years ago I started keeping the tongues. They are delicious!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I need to try raw scallops, thanks for the mentioning that.

CW59

FNG
Whenever I take a friend or family member hunting and they kill their first big game animal, I make them take a bite out of the heart and a jerky size piece of raw met! Never had any negative consequences. Fun little tradition.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I eat raw salmon. Have eaten raw tuna that was just caught. I eat deer really rare, but have not had it completely raw.

For salmon you have to know how to spot anisakis worms. I usually freeze it cold/long enough to kill them before eating raw.

Everything that might have trichinosis (bear, pig, halibut, Etc) I cook well. I can due without worms growing in my eyeballs. As with trichinosis it is the eggs that are the problem, there is no way to spot them like anisakis worms.

I once ate crawfish alive and raw straight out of Jack's Fork (I think) river in SE Missouri on a float trip a loooong time ago. I didn't get sick, but that was really dumb idea. Fueled by beer, of course!

I've had a few pieces of raw elk. I didn't care for it. I enjoy my venison cooked very rare.

I've not shot any bear, cougar, wild hog, etc, but would certainly cook them very well

Tralle

FNG
European hunter here.

Carpaccio have been good on all deer species i have made it from.

I have done tartare on tahr and caribou, both really really good.

Had raw "mountain oyster" from an ibex in Kyrgyzstan.

I would not eat raw meat from anything with a chance of carrying Trichinella that have not been tested.

slatty

WKR
European hunter here.

Carpaccio have been good on all deer species i have made it from.

I have done tartare on tahr and caribou, both really really good.

Had raw "mountain oyster" from an ibex in Kyrgyzstan.

I would not eat raw meat from anything with a chance of carrying Trichinella that have not been tested.
Just curious where you are from? Always interesting to see a European hunter. FYI the "FNGs" thread is to introduce yourself to the forum, in case you would like to.

Oregon

WKR
I prefer tuna raw, either Poke style or sashimi.
I believe I’ve tried just about every species of fish I’ve caught raw. Some are designed to be eaten raw(tuna/salmon) others not so much(grouper/halibut)
I’ve tried a chunk of most big game animals raw. Bighorn would make an awesome tartare.

After shitting out a tapeworm one morning and the Dr asking me if I eat raw salmon, I don’t do that anymore with freezing.
I used to bring out a bowl of Soy sauce and slice sashimi cuts off salmon I just fileted.

stdeb11

FNG
I have a bunch of family in south Texas and grew up eating parisa. I've made parisa from elk and deer before (similar to tartar) and turned out very good. No I'll side effects

Pro953

WKR
I really like tartar and the best I have had by far is from fresh deer meat. It has become a bit of a dinner ritual when I am processing my deer to set aside a pice to make tartar before it all goes in the freezer. I have made it with venison after it was Frozen but the texture is much better on the fresh meat. Though it’s probably physiological as well. This is only with Blacktail and whitetail deer. I have never tried this with Mule deer.

I have made tartar from the two elk i have had success with but I did not find the flavor quite as nice. It may just be luck of the draw with the specific elk I had.

Otherwise just fish and shellfish. When we used to fish off Catalina with my grandfather we always brought in a few Mackerel and would slice them up on the deck with the soy sauce. I hate Mackerel but fresh like that it’s amazing. Although like the venison tartar, the environment probably made it taste a bit better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Button

WKR
The only way I eat fresh or frozen tuna is raw.
Love me some Sashimi.