Raw Wild Meat: you eat it?

Button

WKR
Raw oysters are good too. But I prefer them on half shell on the grill

Stalker69

WKR
We hunted with the Inuit up above Hutson bay. And they eat the hell out of lake trout and char blood veins ( large blood sack that runs down the inside of the backbone.) They would suck it up like big thick spaghetti noodles. And they ate some raw caribou as we broke them down to pack out. They offered us the gall bladder and I declined as they did not take a bite of it themselves. I refused and they laughed out loud, and said if you take bite of this, you never get “ hard” again. I’ve also eaten raw hamburger with salt pepper and onion slices, made sandwich’s years ago. My dad ate them regularly.

tdot

WKR
Just ate some elk backstrap carpaccio . So damn tasty.

A couple years ago I stopped fully processing animals into the final cuts, instead freezing large cuts un-prepped. The benefit is that every time a pack comes out to be broken down, I get fresh Carpaccio.

Hurley03

FNG
I’ve never done it but so many times I’ve been butchering meat saying man that looks delicious but my mind wouldn’t allow me to do it

I’ve tried several ungulates.
Make sure you know what you are doing and do your research before you eat raw meat.
It’s possible to get sick from eating anything raw. How the meat is handled is very important

Last edited:

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
Venison backstrap carpaccio, venison heart ceviche, and venison tartare. All are very very good, but only an occasional treat, typically at a hunting or fishing camp.

Moserkr

WKR
First black bear kill I was a part of, we (3) ate some backstrap steaks rare/medium-rare. Knowing better now, we wouldnt do it again. But there were no ill effects and it was delicious. Lucky I guess.

We make parisa every year. Taken some bites out of some raw backstraps on several ungulates.

I’ve been really tempted to eat a deer heart still warm and bloody, eat it like an apple, after reading several books on native history.