Razor UHD vs. Maven B.2 Test in Wasatch County

nobody

WKR
Hello all!

Currently debating on upgrading to the Maven B.2's from my current C.1's, specifically the 9x45's. I've narrowed down my decision to either these or the Razor UHD's in 10x50 (I can get them for roughly the same price as the Maven's with my employee discount at Sportsman's Warehouse). Is there anybody in the Wasatch County, Utah area that would maybe let me look through their 9x45 Maven's before I make a final decision? I know I can do the demo program, but I just figured I would ask. Thanks in advance all.

dang i just sold my mavens or i'd bite. i drive through heber almost weekly. I think either way you can't go wrong they are both pretty dang good. let us know what you think

OP
N

nobody

WKR
dang i just sold my mavens or i'd bite. i drive through heber almost weekly. I think either way you can't go wrong they are both pretty dang good. let us know what you think
Yeah I know I'll be happy with either, I just want to look through both to be sure. My dad has the UHD's and they're pretty nuts at any price, I just want to see how the Maven's compare before pulling the trigger on one or the other! I tend to agree that I won't go wrong either one, but it's still a ton of money to sink into optics (totally worth it), I just only wanna do this once!

TexaninSconny

Lil-Rokslider
I just returned my 10x42 Razor UHDs today and pulled the trigger on the 9x45s, haha. Alas, I’m in WI.

I like researching...everything I’ve read or seen pointed me toward the Mavens. Just hope my eyes like them. Got a nice MIL/VET discount through them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
N

nobody

WKR
JGill, I am in Davis County and you could totally borrow my B2 9x if you would like. But I don't make it to Heber often.
Thanks sir, I'll keep that in mind! Last time I was actually IN Davis county was over a year ago for a wedding, so I'm kindof in the same boat as you. But it may be a good option!

OP
N

nobody

WKR
I just returned my 10x42 Razor UHDs today and pulled the trigger on the 9x45s, haha. Alas, I’m in WI.

I like researching...everything I’ve read or seen pointed me toward the Mavens. Just hope my eyes like them. Got a nice MIL/VET discount through them as well.

Interesting to hear. I'm leaning towards the Maven as well, but my dad's UHD's are impressive to say the least. What about the Razor's didn't impress you?

TexaninSconny

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting to hear. I'm leaning towards the Maven as well, but my dad's UHD's are impressive to say the least. What about the Razor's didn't impress you?

So here is the thing. I didn’t even take the Razors out of the box. I did a decent amount of research before pulling the trigger on the Razors, but the day after I bought them I came across multiple videos contrasting them with the 9x45s. Everyone leaned Maven. On top of that, I can get B2 and B3 sets for close to the same price with Mavens veteran discount and it allows me more versatility for different terrains.
So I wanted to be able to return them. A&A Optics were already going to hit me with a 10% restocking fee just to return them (should have bought through EuroOptics), and if they were opened it would be a 15% restocking fee.
So I listed them on here and only had a couple of people inquire offering $900 and another offered $1050. That should tell you a little how people think about these. They typically retail for $1499 (I bought them with a discount for $1290). So that was another telling sign for me.

Perhaps someday I’ll run into someone with the UHD Razors and like them better than my Mavens and realize what a fool I’ve been, haha. But I love Maven’s direct to consumer model and the video Ryan had with the owners was probably what put me over the top.

Firehawk

WKR
I'm 90% certain both are made by the same company.
Pretty sure this is incorrect. That said, I do believe that the Sig Zulu 9 is the same optics at the Maven B2 but with different armoring. Sig is made in Japan with Japanese components. Maven is using the Japanese components but are actually assembled in the US. The repair facility is in California, but not sure whether that is where they are assembled or not.

Is the new Vortex Razor UHD built in Japan? If so, that is definitely a good thing. I know many complained when the "then excellent" Viper was moved from Japan to China, the QC went downhill significantly.

I haven't looked through the UHD, but it sounds really good. I did compare the Razor HD to the B2 and it was a lot closer than I thought it would be. Maven still beat the Razor, but I really liked the view from that Razor HD.

Firehawk

WKR
Both my B2 and B3 say "Maven built Japan"

I also know that the customizing of the B series binos is done in California as well. Not sure if the guys build any of them in Wyoming at HQ, but they may say in their various youtube interviews etc. They are straight shooters from what I have seen. Been really impressed with them as a crew, and in their optics. I am definitely a fan at this stage.

WKR
There's a fella on here who knows the details but I believe Kamakura has an assembly facility, Kama tech, in San Diego which is where the Mavens are assembled.

Last edited:

TexaninSconny

Lil-Rokslider
I’d heard them say assembled in San Diego in a video as well.

Buck197

WKR

No. or Sou. Wi? Haha I'm wanting to peak thru now

TexaninSconny

Lil-Rokslider
Racine. I’ll have the Maven’s on Monday. Happy to let anyone have a look see who is close enough they want to swing by.

TexaninSconny

Lil-Rokslider
This isn’t a perfect apples to apples as he’s comparing the Razor UHDs to the B2 11x45s, but it’s a thorough break down.

B2s lasted 14 mins longer than Razors at low light. I figure the 9x45s will be even better in that regard. One of the more important aspects to me.