Re-chamber or not?

Wound width and wound depth is what I am referencing and both can and are measured. What am I cherry picking

A speckle? Now granted my experience with 143gr ELD-X on elk at longer range is two at 735 yards from a Creedmoor (though have killed elk at LR with the CM the last couple of years at 666, 676, and 801

These are not a “speckles”-
View attachment 291219

What is “run out of gas”? Impact velocities can be significantly higher than required with .224’s and 6mm’s at very long range.
Never mind dude you're in your own little world 🤣

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
Never mind dude you're in your own little world 🤣
You're not entirely wrong. Form is pretty consistent on posting about only stuff that is shooting/hunting performance related that he has actually experienced.

Apparently, he gets to shoot a whole lot more than the average guy..... probably what some might think is an insane amount.

It was pretty helpful when I bought a new rifle/scope combo for hunting. I haven't killed anything with it, but with my limited experience I can get the thing to shoot 10 rounds cold to hot at under an inch at 100 yards. I'm looking to do more with it.

Seeing his pics on what ammo does what with which critter is pretty comforting.

You're not entirely wrong. Form is pretty consistent on posting about only stuff that is shooting/hunting performance related that he has actually experienced.

Apparently, he gets to shoot a whole lot more than the average guy..... probably what some might think is an insane amount.

It was pretty helpful when I bought a new rifle/scope combo for hunting. I haven't killed anything with it, but with my limited experience I can get the thing to shoot 10 rounds cold to hot at under an inch at 100 yards. I'm looking to do more with it.

Seeing his pics on what ammo does what with which critter is pretty comforting.
Sure that's great and all, I'm not trying to talk myself up ( I can't stand guys who say how many critters they've killed..) but I've taken more deer and elk than I can keep track of in my 30 plus years of life.

Between my friends and I we've done it all with 243s to 338s on big game out to 1k.
I don't like recoil more than the next guy but the truth is the 6.5s and even 7mms just don't even come close to putting elk down like the heavy 215-250 grain bullets do at longer ranges.

I've seen enough good, bad, and ugly to where it's not even intellectually debatable about what caliber, velocity, and bullet weight anchors big game the most effectively.
Its straight up irresponsible to say a 6mm or 6.5 will do what a fast 30 will do to elk beyond 700 yards.
I know from experience.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Its straight up irresponsible to say a 6mm or 6.5 will do what a fast 30 will do to elk beyond 700 yards.

Who said that a 6 or 6.5 will do what a fast 30 will do to elk beyond 700? Was it in this thread?

This thread is about the lowest possible recoiling 600 yard elk gun. That is not a 30 cal magnum. Nor a 7mm.

Sheeze I should have figured easy/east out!
Thanks as always.

6 creed is looking very appealing to me. You prefer 22” barrel length?

tikka is not chambering this that I could find, just the hells canyon.

a suppressor reduces felt recoil I assume from where the additional weight is?
I have a 6 Creed that is fairly new to me in terms of how much I have shot it, but I am really warming up to it. The problem you'll find with 6 creed is that there aren't many "hunting rifle" options right now. Most of the 6 Creed offerings tend a bit more toward the "tactical" side. 6 Creed ammo is readily available.

OP
S

Shraggs

WKR
Sure that's great and all, I'm not trying to talk myself up ( I can't stand guys who say how many critters they've killed..) but I've taken more deer and elk than I can keep track of in my 30 plus years of life.

Between my friends and I we've done it all with 243s to 338s on big game out to 1k.
I don't like recoil more than the next guy but the truth is the 6.5s and even 7mms just don't even come close to putting elk down like the heavy 215-250 grain bullets do at longer ranges.

I've seen enough good, bad, and ugly to where it's not even intellectually debatable about what caliber, velocity, and bullet weight anchors big game the most effectively.
I know from experience.

was able to slip away for weekend walleye trip...

i think Form summed that up - have sold one 7mm, other is for sale. My 358 win within range is formidable, and my 350 Remington mag loaded hot is an any critter getter... maybe not long range. those three will cover about any hunting needs short of 500.

Ive so enjoyed learning from a few threads on small caliber, right rifle and bulets the tissue damage possible - killing all out of proportion to conventional thoughts/experience. lost touch with a friend in New Zeeland, shoots a ton of tahr, stag, etc. from what i call long distance (600 yards) - uses 6mm/243...

to go longer with conventional premium bullets, means more powder higher bullet weight - and my recoil limit is 7mm/350 rm. its a limit, and with my last 20 year commitment to archery i feel i need to rebuild skill. i personally, don't want a brake on a potent caliber. supressed, is on my list for all my hunting rifles ideally.

i won't ever be with out a big caliber - but im specifically looking at my options to ADD the lowest caliber lowest recoil option. i know ill shoot it more off season. im very much ok passing on a 600 yard shot if the conditions or animal orientation are not optimum, and i still value my ability to get close to game.

i appreciate this discussion all, very much!

OP
S

Shraggs

WKR
I have a 6 Creed that is fairly new to me in terms of how much I have shot it, but I am really warming up to it. The problem you'll find with 6 creed is that there aren't many "hunting rifle" options right now. Most of the 6 Creed offerings tend a bit more toward the "tactical" side. 6 Creed ammo is readily available.
very much interested in learning more about your growing experience !

yep, not a lot of options, which ironically is why i started this thread because i didn't see 6 creed factory options and considering a conversation. im only considering my kimber currently for re chambering.

purchasing, i can get a tikka in 6.5 be done, or any tikka in short action and rebarrel with Proof 6 creed.

was able to slip away for weekend walleye trip...

i think Form summed that up - have sold one 7mm, other is for sale. My 358 win within range is formidable, and my 350 Remington mag loaded hot is an any critter getter... maybe not long range. those three will cover about any hunting needs short of 500.

Ive so enjoyed learning from a few threads on small caliber, right rifle and bulets the tissue damage possible - killing all out of proportion to conventional thoughts/experience. lost touch with a friend in New Zeeland, shoots a ton of tahr, stag, etc. from what i call long distance (600 yards) - uses 6mm/243...

to go longer with conventional premium bullets, means more powder higher bullet weight - and my recoil limit is 7mm/350 rm. its a limit, and with my last 20 year commitment to archery i feel i need to rebuild skill. i personally, don't want a brake on a potent caliber. supressed, is on my list for all my hunting rifles ideally.

i won't ever be with out a big caliber - but im specifically looking at my options to ADD the lowest caliber lowest recoil option. i know ill shoot it more off season. im very much ok passing on a 600 yard shot if the conditions or animal orientation are not optimum, and i still value my ability to get close to game.

i appreciate this discussion all, very much!
If you're wanting a balance of light recoil and reasonable killing efficiency try a 6.5 with Badlands Precision Bulldozer 125 grain copper bullets.
I'm using them in my 5.6 lb 16" 6.5 saum with a Banish 30 suppressor, its incredibly quiet and recoil is mellow enough for a 10 year old to handle.
I really feel that muzzle blast is the most detrimental effect on a shooters ability to shoot accurately and comfortably.
Heres a pic of my setup built on a Tikka
20210517_122614.jpg

Lawnboi

WKR
If you're wanting a balance of light recoil and reasonable killing efficiency try a 6.5 with Badlands Precision Bulldozer 125 grain copper bullets.
I'm using them in my 5.6 lb 16" 6.5 saum with a Banish 30 suppressor, its incredibly quiet and recoil is mellow enough for a 10 year old to handle.
I really feel that muzzle blast is the most detrimental effect on a shooters ability to shoot accurately and comfortably.
Heres a pic of my setup built on a Tikka
View attachment 292020
What do you think of the banish 30? And do you have experience with any other cans?

What do you think of the banish 30? And do you have experience with any other cans?
Its really impressive how much suppression and recoil reduction im getting with it on my 6.9 lb 30 Nos, it seriously sounds like a 22 mag and the recoil is light enough to spot my shots with 220 grain bullets.
Repeatability and accuracy is awesome, there's no zero shift after removal and reinstallation I've tested that to 1300 yards

The 7" configuration is pretty handy but its so much quieter at 9" that I doubt I'll ever run shorter.
I have another cheap 4" can from witt machine and it was a waste of money..

I've been swapping the Banish between two rifles and decided to get a Nomad LT to run solely on the 30 Nos, It should be even quieter and its only 8.4" vs 9

I'd say if you're into a modular suppressor then the Banish 30 is a good way to go
Honestly though after talking with guys who've compared the Nomad LT to the Gen2 ultra 9, I'd say get the Nomad.
Its actually quieter from every account I've heard, and they're precision rifle oriented as well

Lawnboi

WKR
Its really impressive how much suppression and recoil reduction im getting with it on my 6.9 lb 30 Nos, it seriously sounds like a 22 mag and the recoil is light enough to spot my shots with 220 grain bullets.
Repeatability and accuracy is awesome, there's no zero shift after removal and reinstallation I've tested that to 1300 yards

The 7" configuration is pretty handy but its so much quieter at 9" that I doubt I'll ever run shorter.
I have another cheap 4" can from witt machine and it was a waste of money..

I've been swapping the Banish between two rifles and decided to get a Nomad LT to run solely on the 30 Nos, It should be even quieter and its only 8.4" vs 9

I'd say if you're into a modular suppressor then the Banish 30 is a good way to go
Honestly though after talking with guys who've compared the Nomad LT to the Gen2 ultra 9, I'd say get the Nomad.
Its actually quieter from every account I've heard, and they're precision rifle oriented as well
I’m between a nomad ti, ultra 7 and the banish right now. I have two other cans and this would would fill in a spot on my match rifle and occasional hunting as well. I can get the nomad locally with no dinking around. The other two not so much.

I’m between a nomad ti, ultra 7 and the banish right now. I have two other cans and this would would fill in a spot on my match rifle and occasional hunting as well. I can get the nomad locally with no dinking around. The other two not so much.
Since you're looking at 7" cans I'd probably point you towards the Banish just because its really nice having the option to add the extra 2 baffles.
On a match rifle I think you'd especially appreciate the extra suppression.
Silencer Central makes the whole process super easy with e documents, you don't even need a local dealer they ship it to your door once approved

WCB

WKR
I'd be a fan of the 7-08 over the 6.5 and an absolute no go on the 6mm. Just my opinion on seeing a lot of elk die.

Shrags, you mention a short action Tikka….do they make one? Used to all be long actions regardless of cartridge as far as I knew, but I’m not up to speed for recent production.

BjornF16

WKR
Shrags, you mention a short action Tikka….do they make one? Used to all be long actions regardless of cartridge as far as I knew, but I’m not up to speed for recent production.
The Tikka are all "long" actions, but the bolt stop and magazine setup can make them "short" action.

One of my guns is a T3X in 7-08 with Mountain Tactical magazine (gives more OAL than the OEM magazine). I haven't messed with bolt stop.