Re-painting Wood Stove....what kind of paint to use?

ewade07

WKR
So I have a nice barrel wood stove that I am going to spruce up a bit, take the surface rust off and re paint with high heat paint. What kind of paint would all you guys recommend?

I've used flat black Krylon and Rustoleum high heat rattle cans on a sheet metal stove I built a few years back. I touch it up every now and then when the paint gets worn due to packing it around in the truck bed or on a horse, but I haven't had any problems with the paint peeling due to heat.

hikenhunt

WKR
High Temp rattle can worked good for me too. Just be sure to follow the directions and cure the paint outside first, otherwise you'll test your smoke detectors on your first hot fire!

Last edited:
OP
ewade07

ewade07

WKR
thanks for the input guys. im going to clean the rust off with a drill eqipped with a buffer pad. what should i use to wipe it clean with?

Elk97

WKR
Like the others have said the high temp rattle cans work well. I use acetone after sanding to make sure there are no grease spots prior to painting. Several light coats last better than thick coats.

Wapiti1

WKR
Acetone wipe down followed by a wipe down of phosphoric acid surface prep (sold as rust converter or etch and prep solution). The last one I did, I used VHT header paint from the auto parts house.

We use header paint on furnace parts in the steel mill and it lasts longer than normal high temp paint.

Jeremy

I used the 2000 degree Rustoleam from Lowes and I still can't believe how well it's holding up. Fair warning that it did take a long time for the smell to burn off. Even after I thought it was gone it would come back for the first 10 minutes or so after you lit the stove.

OP
ewade07

ewade07

WKR
I used the 2000 degree Rustoleam from Lowes and I still can't believe how well it's holding up. Fair warning that it did take a long time for the smell to burn off. Even after I thought it was gone it would come back for the first 10 minutes or so after you lit the stove.
i just ordered some of the high heat Rustoleum off amazon. i planned on applying then doing a burn or two in it. how bad was the smell? I am just refinishing this stove to sell it but i would hate to leave the buyer with this problem!

i just ordered some of the high heat Rustoleum off amazon. i planned on applying then doing a burn or two in it. how bad was the smell? I am just refinishing this stove to sell it but i would hate to leave the buyer with this problem!
I did a solid burn on two different stoves and both had a strong smell after that when fired up. They had little to no smell before being lit and the smell only lasted for ten or so minutes then. To me the paint is holding up so well it's worth it.
I also did my best to follow the instruction on the can for proper curing.

The smell is long gone now.

how long did the smell last before it finally stopped?
I can't answer that with an absolute, but It was fall 2019 and it had zero smell this fall. I have another little one that doesn't run as hot and it smelled plenty last spring. Haven't used that one since then, but will this spring.

Just tell the buyer when you sell it. Anyone buying a new or freshly painted stove will understand. The paint that came on my 3 dog stove burnt off so quick I'm happy to work through the odor issue to have a better finish.

sndmn11

WKR
Pour a fair amount of white gas or other clean burning accelerant into the stove with your wood when doing your burn off. The higher heat will eliminate the start up smell over multiple burns problem.