Re-treating rain gear

OldGrayJB

WKR
Has anyone used Nikwax to treat rain gear?
Does it work?
Would you recommend wash treatment, or spray on?
Are there better products for this?

I have a single layer, breathable, packable jacket that leaks at the seams.

Mnmike

FNG
I use Nikwax. Great product. I like the wash in better than spray. You get better/more even coverage.

great product

TBass

FNG
I use the spray on Nikwax. It works as advertised. I normally treat my gear a month before season and then let it air out.

TBass

FNG
I should add that if you are going to use the topical spray (which works very well) that you need to make sure that the article of clothing is clean prior to treatment. I have used the type that you simply put in to the washing machine & although I found effective in repelling rain - I did not like the idea of getting the stuff on the interior of my garments.

excaliber

WKR
I've spent quite a bit of time with aftermarket DWR treatments.
The best system I found was to use the Atsko sport wash first to clean the garment then use the Atsko Permanent water guard.

All my Sitka gear factory DWR treatment failed after a couple years and I used this on all my Pants and jackets. They are now better than new.

I'm not affiliated with them at all.

Has anyone used Nikwax to treat rain gear?
Does it work?
Would you recommend wash treatment, or spray on?
Are there better products for this?

I have a single layer, breathable, packable jacket that leaks at the seams.

If it leaks at the seams some silnet tent seam sealer may be in order.

TBass

FNG
BRTreedogs I just looked in to the “Silnet seam seal”. For true rain gear where you can get to the internal seams I would defiantly do this.... in fact I’m going to... just ordered some online. Thanks for the tip