Re-Use Arrow/BH or not?

PhatSki

WKR
This might be a silly question, but what do you guys do with and arrow/broadhead that you have shot through an animal? I just harvested a nice 4x4 Blacktail and my arrow/broadhead seem to be a great shape. no nicks in the broadhead and still fairly sharp. Thinking of cleaning up the arrow, spin test it, and using it as my broadhead practice arrow. Thoughts?

slaton

Lil-Rokslider
I try to see how many animals I can kill with the same arrow. Always wash off and either swap broadheads if expandable or just change the blades if a fixed. The most I’ve shot with the same arrow is 7 before it finally broke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P

PhatSki

WKR
the broadhead is a G5 Montec so only option would be to resharpen it with a stone

Rinse the blood off, give the head a few strokes on a sharpener, and put it back in the quiver. Give the arrow a few good flexes and if you don't see/hear any cracks or splinters, put it back in service as well.

Btaylor

WKR
Clean it up and spin it. If it spins good, touch up the broadhead and shoot it first at animals, you know it kills. ;)

I shoot heavy carbon arrows and slick trick fixed blades. I primarily hunt deer from an elevated stand and really pick my shots. I hunt states with very liberal doe limits and near 6 month archery seasons. I have killed over 20 whitetails with a single arrow before it lodged in the off shoulder of a kansas giant buck and he fell on it and broke it. The heads are awesome and I replace blades after a kill. Have lost a few heads when they hit a rock on pass thru shots.

I always take time to shoot an arrow after I kill a deer to make sure it still flies well. Wash arrow replace blades and kill another one.