Re-using big game bags

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
I use mine until they fall apart. Wash em and hang them up to dry.

How do the Allen backcountry synthetic bags stack up against tag and caribou bags? Weight and durability?

The Allen Backcountry bags are okay but don't expect too much. They aren't super durable. I have used a set for a half dozen animals without a failure until this past Sept. I took the bagged meat to a processor/meat locker where they wanted to hang the bags from hooks. The loops that are sewn on to the bags all tore loose when hung this way. So it took some rope work to get the bags hung from the hooks.

I'll be picking up some of Larry Bartlett's TAG BOMB bags for this coming season. I've heard they are the toughest and lightest.

Sled

WKR
my TAG bags have been through 4 antelope, 2 deer and 6 elk. so far they are holding up great. i started with the BOMB pack and added quarter bags. it gives me options for the hunt i'm going on and then how far back i am. i won't be back to canvas bags anytime soon.

neverquit

WKR
I have the black Ovis bags . I’ve put 12 animals thru the same set . I rinse them with the hose then in the washing machine with hot water and no soap. They’re great.

Mark

WKR
I've used the same set of tag bags for several years. Soak them in a water/bleach solution and then wash. A few have some stains on them but that doesn't bother me.

Natevon04

FNG
I Reuse them until they get hole in them. No matter what the type. It’s good luck thing as much as a money issue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
My current set of Caribou bags has easily over a dozen animals packed in them and still going strong. I've never even considered replacing them. Same routine as everyone else - cold water soak, wash, rinse repeat.

ktowncamo

WKR
I've used Caribou, TAG and Black Ovis Sacks. All clean up well and have worked. One bucket wash with just water, then a second with three to four drops of bleach and simple detergent (mostly to make the wife happy) and then through the wash machine - good as new.

I should have taken a picture of the elk quarters I hung in Colorado 2 years ago when ferrying loads from camp to where a horse packer met met. I was using the Ovis Sacks and in a matter of about 3 hours when I returned with the second load the tops of the bags were CAKED with flies on the top where the fabric crunches up when you hang from the cord (I cinch down the cord lock and then wrap the cord around the bag top a few times with a sailers hitch to secure and hang from). The swarm of flies had laid eggs like I've never seen. I was so grossed out I got a stick and scraped off the eggs before thinking how cool the image would have been.

Took the meat to the processor and told him about what happened and to keep an eye on the meat, to which he replied - "oh, you were using those Ovis Sacks? That's what I use, they are solid, you'll be just fine". The meat was pristine. Stoked with my own product. ;)